Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

11 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I think Paul is outside the UK, so he will be charged VAT in his home country (Hungary, right?) plus handling charges unless BD takes out UK VAT before shipping the bass to the EU. They are doing it for new basses (they list a separate export price) but are they doing it for used basses too? They don't seem to list export prices for used basses on their website as far as I can see. 

BD takes VAT off non UK prices for new stuff, but there is no vat on second hand things. Only the UK charges double VAT on second hand items, I don't think there is another country that does it, so he won't have to pay anything else (apart from shipping / handling / having to cross the uk border backhanders etc).

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I think Paul is outside the UK, so he will be charged VAT in his home country (Hungary, right?) plus handling charges unless BD takes out UK VAT before shipping the bass to the EU. They are doing it for new basses (they list a separate export price) but are they doing it for used basses too? They don't seem to list export prices for used basses on their website as far as I can see. 

Ah okay. I had blithely been assuming he was in the UK until now!

Tbf the only other Hauser I've come across was a dastardly character in Total Recall 😁

Yes, I'm in Hungary. If you import anything from the outside of EU you have to pay the local VAT (which is 27% in Hungary) plus duty. This is regardless the item is new or used, the big difference is that with new items the shop, like bass direct will use import (ie VAT-less ) price but the can't do that with used items. The same proble goes for private sellers in the UK, anyone who wants to buy their stuff from the EU must factor in the extra VAT (the measure of which depends on the contry you live in the EU) 

Now for us in the EU buying from the UK is the same as from the USA or Japan, only the duty is an exception which to my knowledge is zero, at least until all the negotiations end between the EU/UK.

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah okay. I had blithely been assuming he was in the UK until now!

Tbf the only other Hauser I've come across was a dastardly character in Total Recall 😁

😄 My full family name is Purnhauser, which is of german origin so the nickname comes from that (and my first name's english version)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Still there. It's in the "used & ex demo" section. Go for it, @Paulhauser 😎

Well, now it IS gone and it wasn't me. Man, I was really, really considering it. What a lovely piece of art but I have a custom Forte coming soon, so I would not have been able to justify it. I also still want my Motown and tribute to Bernard Edwards (Stingray Classic in natural with maple FB) basses. The former should not be a problem (but I want to see if Fender is going to release a 70th anniversary P bass (for the P bass - 1951-2021) model, so far they have only announced the 75th anniversary P and J models (for the Fender company itself 1946-2021)) but the latter is tricky, no one seems to be selling one 😥 

19 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, now it IS gone and it wasn't me. Man, I was really, really considering it. What a lovely piece of art but I have a custom Forte coming soon, so I would not have been able to justify it. I also still want my Motown and tribute to Bernard Edwards (Stingray Classic in natural with maple FB) basses. The former should not be a problem (but I want to see if Fender is going to release a 70th anniversary P bass (for the P bass - 1951-2021) model, so far they have only announced the 75th anniversary P and J models (for the Fender company itself 1946-2021)) but the latter is tricky, no one seems to be selling one 😥 

It wasn't me either 🙂

What's the specs for the Forte your are getting?

As for the others, strangely I only have gas for Spectors. Ok, maybe a few others that are on the list but.... Strage as I never ever collected anything material in my life and now in my mid 40's ending up a bunch of basses that keep growing....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulhauser said:

It wasn't me either 🙂

What's the specs for the Forte your are getting?

As for the others, strangely I only have gas for Spectors. Ok, maybe a few others that are on the list but.... Strage as I never ever collected anything material in my life and now in my mid 40's ending up a bunch of basses that keep growing....

Maybe it was then @cetera, adding Spector bass nr 30 to the collection? 😁

Custom Forte: Alder Wings, black gloss finish, black hardware, EMG PJx, and Haz 9V. My no-frills NS-2 to complement my no-frills NS-4 (Forte with swamp ash wings, black matte finish, EMG DCx and Haz 18V). 

I know your feeling. Same here. The last time I collected stuff was back in the mid/late 80s (computer games for the C64 and Amiga home computers) 😎

I only have a few non- Spectors but really want an old school P bass with flats and a 2 EQ Stingray Classic with old rounds or flats for the Bernard Edwards vibes. Then I "should" be ok, well, we'll see 😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Maybe it was then @cetera, adding Spector bass nr 30 to the collection? 😁

Custom Forte: Alder Wings, black gloss finish, black hardware, EMG PJx, and Haz 9V. My no-frills NS-2 to complement my no-frills NS-4 (Forte with swamp ash wings, black matte finish, EMG DCx and Haz 18V). 

I know your feeling. Same here. The last time I collected stuff was back in the mid/late 80s (computer games for the C64 and Amiga home computers) 😎

I only have a few non- Spectors but really want an old school P bass with flats and a 2 EQ Stingray Classic with old rounds or flats for the Bernard Edwards vibes. Then I "should" be ok, well, we'll see 😉

Only nr 30? 😀😀😀

Looking forward to seeing that Forte. I have one and really like it albeit I seldom use it for the time being (it is a six string bass)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I have a few other basses that are dear to me. An Atelier jazz5, a MM SR5 and a couple of MIJ Prestige Ibby sixers. There are a few basses on the bucket list of basses I'd like to own at least for a trial period but nothing gets my blood as pumped as a Spector in the classifieds 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

I want a Dimension so bad! 

Even though haunted moss is the most spinal tap finish ever. And super faded black is neither faded nor black😋

In which way? Do the knobs go to 11? Is it much, much smaller than a regular bass? Do you get lost with it on the way to the stage? Just curious (big Tap fan)

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

In which way? Do the knobs go to 11? Is it much, much smaller than a regular bass? Do you get lost with it on the way to the stage? Just curious (big Tap fan)

Maybe it's a bit lukewarm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't find anything useful on the Spector website on this, so maybe you guys can help me out...

a) What the heck is the difference in the Spector range in terms of, NS2, NS4, NS5 and NS5-XL? and

b) How does the Euro LX vary from the above models - is it essentially Tone Pump vs Hazlab preamp?

Apologies if this is a noddy / basic question I should already know the answer to! 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I can't find anything useful on the Spector website on this, so maybe you guys can help me out...

a) What the heck is the difference in the Spector range in terms of, NS2, NS4, NS5 and NS5-XL? and

b) How does the Euro LX vary from the above models - is it essentially Tone Pump vs Hazlab preamp?

Apologies if this is a noddy / basic question I should already know the answer to! 

Fair amount of hits if you pop the search question into google, or break it down not comparing all at the same time

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

NS2 4 string 3 piece maple laminate neck through with solid maple wings. Haz Labs 9V pre amp. PJ pup config

NS4 As above but with humbuckers (I think) and maybe called NS4 Kramer were making the NS2 and Stuart set up SSD

NS5-XL As above, but 5 string 35" scale. 

Euro LX as NS2, but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

NS2 4 string 3 piece maple laminate neck through with solid maple wings. Haz Labs 9V pre amp. PJ pup config

NS4 As above but with humbuckers (I think) and maybe called NS4 Kramer were making the NS2 and Stuart set up SSD

NS5-XL As above, but 5 string 35" scale. 

Euro LX as NS2, but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

Brilliant - thank you. 

However, my 5LX is also 5 string 35" scale so I guess to complete the picture:

NS2 = Euro 4LX but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

NS5 = 5 string but 34" scale?

NS5-XL = Euro 5LX but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

Brilliant - thank you.

It's the best I can do. There's a lot of variation on the theme. I forgot to say that the Pups are usually EMG, but over the years they've used DiMarzio, Aguilar and Bartolini. There's also an 18V Haz Labs, they've used EMG pre-amps, Aguilar and Darkglass (maybe some others?)

The first Euros were Euro's without the LX and they have solid maple wings. The neck blanks get sent from the US, so the Euro's LX are pretty much the same as a US NS2 (different bridge and pre amp). You can tell the difference on the neck volute and fretboard/body interface. Whether it's all worth the difference in price is the eternal question. My early Euro has pretty much the same body shape as my later NS2, but the latest Euro's have evolved a distinctive upper horn

• Like 2