Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Spector fans!

My wife is a fashion designer and milliner. This week she got some fabric for a new project. I saw it and thought: wait a minute, this looks very familiar. She told me the colour effect is called Ombré. I googled it and it is French ("shaded") and means a colour that is shaded or graduated in tone. Check it out:

Ombre.thumb.jpg.d18479e1b027445070f0db9b2289dbe8.jpg

6 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Spector fans!

My wife is a fashion designer and milliner. This week she got some fabric for a new project. I saw it and thought: wait a minute, this looks very familiar. She told me the colour effect is called Ombré. I googled it and it is French ("shaded") and means a colour that is shaded or graduated in tone. Check it out:

Ombre.thumb.jpg.d18479e1b027445070f0db9b2289dbe8.jpg

yes! I knew when I saw this before even reading the text 🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I have been asked to play on the EP of a band consisting a few friends, a classic session "job". I have used my Spector NS-5XL for the recording.

Thought to share with you here (prog metal content with female vocals) Would be awesome if you would give it a spin. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing @Paulhauser. Nice one. Sounds really good, esp. the guitars. Would have loved to hear more of Spector goodness though (there was a bit at the beginning of the third song, Reverie 153, at 11:30). Could also have done without the short death grunt vocals in the second song (Time). I don't think they fit the vibes of the overall sound of the EP but that's probably just me not being a big fan of cookie monster vocals 😎 

The real highlight is the female vocalist. Man, she can sing! Wow. Reminded me a lot of the one in The Gathering:

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think we discussed the Euro 5 Classic briefly before, but for some reason I hadn't clocked that they were being made in PJ configuration. They look fantastic - I'm very tempted!

Spector Euro 5 Classic.png

I think that is a typo in the description. For what I know the 5 string Classics are JJ only, no other configuration for this specification

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I think that is a typo in the description. For what I know the 5 string Classics are JJ only, no other configuration for this specification

Ah ok thanks Paul. The specs are taken from Spector's own website, so that's a shame. I think you have just saved me a small fortune (again)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since getting a decent broad Minotaur 4.1" strap, I've been playing my Spector EuroLX more and have to fess it's sounding and feeling very good! 

I've got a couple of regular work horse gigging basses and I'm a huge fan of both, but right now I'm more than a little smitten with the Spector which I'm finding is putting these others in the shade. The Euro5LX EMGs, TonePump and laminated neck-through give a real weight, fulness and clarity to its tone, and the ability to switch from single to dual coil humbucker on either pup and "blend" them only further adds to the ability to sculpt the tone.

Speaking of pup blending, we had a little discussion on selector switches vs blend knobs over on the Yammy thread and @Ricky Rioli commented that he preferred "a straightforward selector switch - I've a blend knob on my TRBX and find it totally useless - finding something perceivably different between 100% neck and 50%/50% is like searching for a needle in a haystack."  I think there's a lot of truth in that statement! The parallel with the Euro 5LX is that blending is done by adjusting the volume of the individual pups, but it's definitely not linear e.g. if I have the bridge pup fully engaged then the neck pup doesn't really noticeably impact the sound until the volume is around 7/10 and then the blend increases as you get to 10/10 on the neck pup. But that's more by way of an observation than a criticism. 

Given how much I'm loving the Euro 5LX, finding one with a P / humbucker pup config would be a real treat to complement my existing twin humbucker. @cetera would you mind just checking in the broom cupboard if one of your "40" Spectors has a P / humbucker config and is currently going spare? 😊.

Cue gratuitous pic of my solitary, but much appreciated, Spector...

Rig - 21.02.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think we discussed the Euro 5 Classic briefly before, but for some reason I hadn't clocked that they were being made in PJ configuration. They look fantastic - I'm very tempted!

Spector Euro 5 Classic.png

Well that’s got my attention. Not played a Spector in a long time. I’ve always seen them as a basic looking Warwick and been put off by the 35” scale. Has anyone got a good Youtube example of how the Euro sounds?

3 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

No, that is NOT an error, they truly have 34"  scale, a rare thing for a 5 string Spector in the current line (and a nod to the late '80s 34" NS-5's)

Thanks, that’s great and terrible news at the same time! What a great looking bass. I’ve been digging Spector lately, but the 35” was a bit of a put off. 

1 minute ago, M@23 said:

Thanks, that’s great and terrible news at the same time! What a great looking bass. I’ve been digging Spector lately, but the 35” was a bit of a put off. 

I agree the 35" was a bit of a stretch initially if you're used to 34". Who would have guessed 1" made such a difference? 😁

But it seems to have been very well thought through as a package: the longer scale certainly delivers a phenomenonal low B particularly on the bridge pup, but combined with the 17mm string spacing with slightly shallower taper, the whole fretboard playing experience is good and I suspect something you would quickly and easily get used to. 

I'm going to drop Spector a line to confirm that the reverse PJ pup config is a typo on their website, as Paul has helpfully pointed out. If it's not then, like you and 34" scale, this could be 'terrible news'! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

About twelve years ago I have sold my two main basses at the time, a Yamaha TRB-6II and a Spector Euro5, both had 35" scale asI thought that I was done with the 35" and would stuck to my 34" Ibanez SR3006. After a few years being Spectorless I have returned to the brand in '14 with a Euro 5 and couldn't really understand what had I been thinking back in '08 as it was comfortable and great playing bass (still is). I do not have very big hands and long fingers so I understand if some feel that there are bigger reaches on the money end with 34" vs 35" but I think that the NS design is really helpful in other ways (as @Al Krow poited out) For me the smaller body and the position of the bass ((if you see my profil pic, that is the way I like my bass to be positioned) is equally if not more important than the scale lenght and I think there are a couple of factors that contribute to the overall playing comfort.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

When was the other time I did so? 

It was probably exactly the same model and bass (or maybe a NS5) - my memory is sometimes like a sieve when it comes to BC posts! 😁 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

They might offer pj but in a soap bar config - depends on whether the aesthetic of the pj is the deal breaker. 

Might have been an issue for me once, but certainly no longer the case. Besides, the JJ aesthetic on that white Euro 5 Classic is pretty jaw droppingly good and something that I could very easily put up with! 

Edited by Al Krow
I need to get the model name correct at least, lol!
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Might have been an issue for me once, but certainly no longer the case. Besides, the JJ aesthetic on that white Euro Class 5 is pretty jaw droppingly good and something that I could very easily put up with! 

Looks like someone will be buying anorher Spector in the near future😀

According to the Spector website, these guys are the official UK dealer. Anyone had any dealings with them?

Barnes & Mullins
Grays Inn House, Unit 14
Mile Oak Industrial Estate
Oswestry, Shropshire, SY10 8GA
+44 (0)1691 652449
https://www.bandm.co.uk/

[email protected]

Their voicemail hasn't been updated since Christmas, which isn't particularly promising! I've also emailed them to see if they can shed any light on the reverse P+J pup config on the Euro 5 Classic.