Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

34 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Good point. I like this guy (except for the claw gimmick) but I don't understand his business model. How can he have so many basses? Has he won the lottery? Does he have a shop? I can see that he has a reverb shop but without any listings. Does EBMM (and/or other companies) pay him? I also want to have so many basses 😁 

How many is that so many?  I think I could count about 10-12 basses in this video with the ones hanging one the wall plus a few that is on the left side rack. Mind you I've never seen any other videos of his nor am I familiar with him so maybe I'm missing something. 

But anyway, you just need the right number of Spectors, right? 🙂 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

How many is that so many?  I think I could count about 10-12 basses in this video with the ones hanging one the wall plus a few that is on the left side rack. Mind you I've never seen any other videos of his nor am I familiar with him so maybe I'm missing something. 

But anyway, you just need the right number of Spectors, right? 🙂 

Quickly checked his channel. 45 reviews between April and November plus several first impressions videos that will be followed by review videos at a later stage. 

Yes, would be great to get Spector basses sent to me for first impressions/review videos. Much better than buying them. My bank account and my wife would appreciate it too 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cetera said:

I love the Interstellar finish on the Ethos. I'll be getting one and then upgrading it with EMG/Haz and crown inlay decals....

All these new models hit the UK in the summer.

Well, @cetera, I guess you then also like this finish I just spotted in Spector's virtual NAMM booth 😀

1409921247_USASeries-BelieveinMusicCollection.thumb.jpg.0aa402017b89e9f3171fa524f5ffebff.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In addition to the US basses, Spector's virtual booth at NAMM showcases the new Pulse, Dimension and Ethos basses. However, I cannot see any new Euro basses (and also no new Euro LE models, like in 2015 (Mike Starr), 2017 (the 77), 2019 (the 79)). So, there may be no new Euros or they may add them to the booth at a later stage. 

Hi all, massive spector fan, I have only owned a couple though. I have owned my Spector Euro since 2003, I think the colour is plum violet but you guys would know if that's right. Any idea what it's worth? Would I be mad to sell? I was thinking of switching to a short scale bantam as it's easier to play, particularly for my daughter 

bass pic.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucidbassman said:

Hi all, massive spector fan, I have only owned a couple though. I have owned my Spector Euro since 2003, I think the colour is plum violet but you guys would know if that's right. Any idea what it's worth? Would I be mad to sell? I was thinking of switching to a short scale bantam as it's easier to play, particularly for my daughter 

bass pic.jpg

That's dark cherry. Nice bass!
Depending on condition, I'd say £800 - £1100

It's up to you if you want to sell.... and picking up a replacement shouldn't be too hard. If it's 2003 though it's likely to be the highly regarded solid wing Euro rather than LX version, so you may be able to get a little more and an exact replacement would be harder to find. What preamp is in it? Non-trim Tonepump or Aguilar?

The Bantam is a great bass.... worth checking out regardless...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks alot for the reply and info cetera. I've been struggling to land the colour for ages, squinting at google images...

I'm pretty certain it's a non LX version based on enquiries on the serial number and my original receipt, but I'm actually not sure on the pre-amp. How would I find out?

Bass direct offered me £900 if part ex on a Bantam, doesn't seem enough. Would personally like to keep both but not sure I can justify it £ wise.

You're welcome.

If it doesn't have a line all around the body edge (a wedge of walnut through the middle of the body) then it's a Euro 4. If it does have the walnut line then it's an LX.

Re: the preamp - open up the back of the electronics and look. If there's a plain black box it's probably Aguilar. If it has a Tonepump sticker on it - then it's a Tonepump!

£900 isn't bad for P-EX to be fair...

Edited by cetera

Ah makes sense! No line and plain black box with no sticker on the preamp...

Ye probably is a fair p/x price, just not enough to convince me to p/x. Looks like I've got to blag a bantum as a 'gift' for my daughter and grow the collection 😎

thanks again

Edited by lucidbassman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, lucidbassman said:

Ah makes sense! No line and plain black box with no sticker on the preamp...

Ye probably is a fair p/x price, just not enough to convince me to p/x. Looks like I've got to blag a bantum as a 'gift' for my daughter and grow the collection 😎

thanks again

Good decision. I always say: only sell a Spector to finance another one. Further, prices for Spector basses will only go up, so your bass will become more valuable too (and solid maple ones are sought after anyway). Another reason to keep it 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I always say: only sell a Spector to finance another one.

Advice I should have taken when I was downsizing - all the money I made from selling my Spectors went into other brand basses. Not saying those basses aren't worth owning but ATEOTD they're not Spectors.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I always say: only sell a Spector to finance another one. 

That worked for me for a while but now anytime I think of selling any of my Spectors that I'm not using as much as the others I'm quickly coming to a conlusion that no way, I should keep it. So nowadays I'm buying basses that I'm either interested in trying or they are Spectors and I buy them for being keepers. My Spector collection is by no means big, seven to be precise but it is a well rounded up gang so my Spector GAS is limited (but unfortunately quite money demanding)  

• Like 3

Cool Spector bass shootout featuring the NS-2, Euro 4LX, Ethos 4, Euro Classic 5 and the Dimension 5. Great back-to-back comparison of 5 riffs for different playing styles (finger, thumb, pick (one riff for flat picking style, palm muted and one riff with distortion), and tapping) and different pickup positions (both pickups, bridge, and neck). 

My fav is the NS-2. Killer looks and sound (and he plays AIC's "Would" at 02:30 ;- )

45 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool Spector bass shootout featuring the NS-2, Euro 4LX, Ethos 4, Euro Classic 5 and the Dimension 5. Great back-to-back comparison of 5 riffs for different playing styles (finger, thumb, pick (one riff for flat picking style, palm muted and one riff with distortion), and tapping) and different pickup positions (both pickups, bridge, and neck). 

My fav is the NS-2. Killer looks and sound (and he plays AIC's "Would" at 02:30 ;- )

The NS-2 is definitely the favourite of mine too! Great video.

This demo highlights what I've always found about the NS-shaped Spectors, in that they always have a perfect, punchy sounding open E string. 

I've played loads of basses, mainly bolt-ons, but also neck-throughs like Warwicks, that have a weak, floppy-feeling E that just doesn't bounce right, especially when slapped. Never experienced this with the Spectors I've owned or played (a lot!).

Maybe the brass nut's part of it?  

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to snap this up in great condition - Spector Legend 4 in Black Cherry.

Mint condition, superb build quality and looks great. 

I always find the Spectors sit lovely when worn. Very easy to play somehow, and no back ache!

I got this as it's a bit less showy than my current holoflash spector!

Weirdly this one is Indonesian build and the holoflash Korean - I think the Korean one is slightly larger and thicker?

Love them both! Great basses.

20210201_095120.thumb.jpg.f29d9b3d27ad8bc85ef4ae51aa70bf8f.jpg

• Like 5

On 06/12/2020 at 20:35, bagsieblue said:

...and for the final one - Spector Euro 4 In Action:

Here is the last song in our trilogy of recent recordings.

Listen to this and give your neck a six pack!!!

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 5