Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

9 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Ian Hill's new model has landed at BassDirect, slimmer/tapered neck, EMG pup & black...man o fekin man...sporrans screaming...wish I'd never seen it now😫

Ohhh. The white one is stellar, as is the black. 

Wondering about the pu placement, it seems like the same spot as on the 1977. So it is not like a regulare Ian Hill w/o the bridge pu, but seems to me that with getting rid of the J they moved the P closer to the bridge, too. Any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.24e415d1c3bccb56426a984ced1a843a.png

• Like 4

I'm sure Hill never used the J pickup on his previous model just the P on its own, the pickup looks like a P sweetspot position to me. Does look grand in the white aswell real fine, the neck does sound good in the spec bit too 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Ian Hill's new model has landed at BassDirect, slimmer/tapered neck, EMG pup & black...man o fekin man...sporrans screaming...wish I'd never seen it now😫

They're real beauties. No J pup tho? Do his own basses not feature one?

F1.jpg

F1.jpg

Edited by Billy Apple

46 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Don't know what version he's playing at the moment but i was supposed to be Glasgow bound on Sunday for Priest & Ozzy 😫...i could have told you then. 

Yeah, the new Ian Hill sig basses look cool. His previous sig used to have a J pick as well but he never used it so they got rid of it as Spector's Taylor McLam mentions in this NAMM video (check from 4:11 onwards). The only issue I have with his new sig is the rather oversized inlay to celebrate JP's 50th anniversary. I would have preferred a more subtle one but hey, it's metal, so bigger is always better 😎

• Like 2

These are indeed Hill's go to basses now, American Musical Supplies have a 20 odd minute interview online and he does mention that he should have been on stage in America with them at that time. Spector pipes up and say only 50 will be made.

55 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Thought this would be a useful video for many considering the Euro series. So many different variations 😅

Cool video. Like the guy. Knows his stuff. Nice taste of music too. However, the Spector Tonepump is NOT boost only (a common misconception). He also mentions that the 5 string has EMG DC 40 picks but these are TW ones (as correctly mentioned in the subtitles).

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Thought this would be a useful video for many considering the Euro series. So many different variations 😅

Him playing a Megadeth song reminded me of SBL's new video showcasing Dave Ellefson's bass collection. Did not know that he also recorded some albums with a black 4 string Spector NS-2 that he shows from 5:35 onwards. Cool stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

All this talk of Ian Hill has got me misty-eyed for Priest. My first proper gig was Priest at the Newcastle City Hall on the British Steel tour in '80, along with Maiden who were supporting... it rocked!

It's been a Priest weekend around my house.. and they still deliver..

Cool stuff. Watching the video and seeing Rob Halford reminded me of his hilarious COVID advice, especially regarding "toilet roll hoarders" (seems like these are coming back). Not sure if anyone already posted it on BC, so here you go:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

All this talk of Ian Hill has got me misty-eyed for Priest. My first proper gig was Priest at the Newcastle City Hall on the British Steel tour in '80, along with Maiden who were supporting... it rocked!

It's been a Priest weekend around my house.. and they still deliver..

Same here Edinburgh Odeon 1980. Early Maiden years & still some of their best material. 

Speaking of white Spectors, I just had a great and fun rehearsal with my band for our gig on Friday using my Spector Euro 435  (35" Euro 4 LX with solid maple wings)

This is my main live bass since last spring and although I prefer the NS-5XL for recording this is really kicking donkey for playing live. 

Since the G string is not a necessity for the gig it is tuned B(A)EAD and I can have the iconic white Spector PJ look onstage 🙂

This is such a great bass, I got rid of the Aguilar P/J that it came with in favor of a X series EMG PJ but kept the Aguilar OBP it came with. 

IMG_9784.thumb.JPG.2196030d789c3bf68a6676f9b397b231.JPG

And in action! 🙂

IMG_6660.thumb.JPG.fece15c3db971bc31ea553b8e403167a.JPG

• Like 7