Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

5 hours ago, DanTM said:

I saw this on Reverb with an initial price of 6800 Euros which I thought was quite steep and after that for 4850 Eur which is still on the high side (for me at least)

Hard to gauge used prices these days for US Spectors....

5 hours ago, DanTM said:

You are absolutely right. The thing is that I absolutely want at least some eye candy with my instruments. I saw that Forte on BD as well and I would have immediately bought it if the top had some flame going on. Now I was offered this beauty here and it is very hard for me to resist buying it :D

Spector NS2 Matte.jpg

Just now, Paulhauser said:

I saw this on Reverb with an initial price of 6800 Euros which I thought was quite steep and after that for 4850 Eur which is still on the high side (for me at least)

Hard to gauge used prices these days for US Spectors....

I offered 3.000 , received a counter offer of 3.400 and then we met at 3.200

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I'm rather smitten with the Euro Classic 5s at the moment, particularly in the white, wish it was a 35" scale - surprised it's not TBH - but otherwise ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Dammit - I really wished you hadn't pointed that one out! Exactly the model / colour / reverse PJ, I would want too (and 34" is just perfect for me)!

"Fortunately" I can't find anywhere that stocks it!

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, just saw this on the BD website. What do you think? Could work well in a metal band (esp. with the Darkglass TC)

"We have few of these limited edition Spector Squid Euro LX4 and LX5 basses in conjunction with Darkglass - at £2599 and £2699  we are taking pre-order - please contact us before the 19th September

Euro Spector LE Squid Edition

•             Flame Maple Top with custom airbrushed Squid artwork

•             Empresswood (Paulowina) Body Wings with slice of Walnut

•             Ebony fingerboard with MOP 12th fret Spector logo (no other inlays)

•             Black hardware

•             Darkglass Logo on Truss Rod Cover

•             EMG pickups with Darkglass Tone Capsule - P/J Pickups on 4-string; Humbucker Pickups on 5-String

•             Black Stain Gloss finish"

776917704_spectorSquid4.jpg.306dc5ec3cccff1807eb54b4370bad03.jpg

That'll have a disastrous resale value if you had to move it on at some point....

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Dammit - I really wished you hadn't pointed that one out! Exactly the model / colour / reverse PJ, I would want too (and 34" is just perfect for me)!

"Fortunately" I can't find anywhere that stocks it!

This one ?

The 5 string version does have 2 Js

The 4 string version is available here

Edited by DanTM

26 minutes ago, DanTM said:

This one ?

The 5 string version does have 2 Js

The 4 string version is available here

Interesting - the spec on Spector's website says its a reverse PJ for the Euro Classic 5...you'd hope Spector would manage to get it correct! But if not, they've saved my bank balance - so I guess I should be grateful! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up in a trade.  Identical to my first proper bass in all but serial number, this one being a tad newer I think.  I also picked up a set of active EMGs that might well find their way into the bass when I decide what preamp to go for...

793612224_SpectorLegend402.thumb.jpg.a0628d7bfc99cc9b6bf71475a24ff07e.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Lovely score! Try an EMG BQC in it..... or get a Haz from Bass Direct?

Do you know if the centres for the pots on the Haz would slot into a Legend by any chance?  Several £s too, suddenly the EMG option seems very appealing!

Given the EMG PJ active set comes with the std V/V/T wiring kit and I quite like the idea of retaining a tone control, I was thinking about sticking a BTC stack in there in a V/V/BTC/T type configuration.  Do you know if this works?  I have emailed EMG in the USA but slow to respond atm.

28 minutes ago, ead said:

Do you know if the centres for the pots on the Haz would slot into a Legend by any chance?  Several £s too, suddenly the EMG option seems very appealing!

Given the EMG PJ active set comes with the std V/V/T wiring kit and I quite like the idea of retaining a tone control, I was thinking about sticking a BTC stack in there in a V/V/BTC/T type configuration.  Do you know if this works?  I have emailed EMG in the USA but slow to respond atm.

Ah, possibly not - the holes may need widening...

Not sure about retaining a normal tone control but the BTC is normally used on 3 hole set ups. A BQC would give you a master volume, balance, bass/teble concentric pot and mid level/mid freq concentric pot.

Edited by cetera
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cetera said:

Not sure about retaining a normal tone control but the BTC is normally used on 3 hole set ups. A BQC would give you a master volume, balance, bass/teble concentric pot and mid level/mid freq concentric pot.

Cheers.  In that case I could look at the retaining the two volume controls and just add the BQC control.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cetera said:

I had the Haz 9V installed in my Mike Starr Euro LE and the holes indeed needed widening. However, it really was worth it as there is nothing that sounds like the Haz 9V (well, apart from the Haz 18V 😉

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

Change the pickups to full active EMGs first. That may be enough and save you a ton of money.

Good point.  Will the active EMGs be OK with the two fitted volume pots or should I swap them for the two 25k pots that came with the pickups.  Sorry, not an area of much personal expertise :$

4 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

Dear Spector lovers,  i might be joining the club one of these days :)  i got my eye on  one of the newest legend classic 5 with bartolinini soapbar PU´s. anyone tried one of those? if so what´s your opinion. 

I don't think Bartolini did themselves any favours when they introduced their budget Bart range for some of the more entry level basses; that's left a few of us, including me, wary of the brand which is a shame and perhaps unfair with regard to their higher end pick-ups.

Personally, I very much associate the classic Spector sound with EMG pups and the TonePump preamp.

Having said that the new Legend range does look great with their neck through design!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I don't think Bartolini did themselves any favours when they introduced their budget Bart range for some of the more entry level basses; that's left a few of us, including me, wary of the brand which is a shame and perhaps unfair with regard to their higher end pick-ups.

Personally, I very much associate the classic Spector sound with EMG pups and the TonePump preamp.

Having said that the new Legend range does look great with their neck through design!

well they still have the tonePump JR but i have no ideia how these barts compare to the emg ssd ,they used do have in the legend classic. I realy like the looks but i´m having second thoughts i realy have no idea what to expect soundwise. I tried an older version with ssd inc pu´s and thought they were ok. I Read something about  the barts  sounding scooped and that´s not good news for me.