Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

I use the long scale sets as that gives me the tension I prefer.  Would the short scale actually be long enough?

I have, on occasion, bought a bunch of D'Addario singles to get a lighter weight set that are 40/55/75/100 compared with the 170BTs that are 45/60/80/107.

Thanks. I never know with the short and long scale. I ha e pretty standard basses and the long scale exls seem to be very long (no surprise) and need cutting and wrapping a lot, but I havent ever tried the short scale in case they are too short.

Legends (Korea) mostly bolt on although there are a couple of NT models.  Legend electronics slightly more basic.

Euro are sort of USA lite models. All NT (I think), do not have the Haz preamps like the US models.

Probably worth checking the Spector website for more details.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm after a Haz clone... how would you compare it to the Tonepump? 

Ah, worms/can. It's hard to say as I have them in very different basses.

My TP is in a maple winged Euro, the SNC in a swamp ash winged USA forte 5. To try to sum up...

TP

340?cb=20111109200237

SNC

7dd9b24227b48a85034861b707a5e89b.jpg

Hope this helps

• Haha 1

I think Legends historically were bolt on, however the upper range "Custom" models had set necks (as opposed to neck through). 

Historically:

TonePump (Euro) vs TonePump Jr (Legend) 

pups: EMG 40 (Euro) vs EMG 30 (Legend) 

ie better electronics in Euro as well as more expensive woods and better finish eg neck through. 

My Legend Custom was very good. But, for me, no question that my Euro LX is a step up to "outstanding". 

As @ead mentioned worth reviewing the websites for current range differences. My sense is the Legends have been taken up a notch eg I think I read current 2020 model Legends are also neck through. 

Edited by Al Krow

Daft question, with there being no on off switch for the active circuit, is the circuit always on when a cable is plugged in?

Also, if the battery is running out, or runs out, does just the eq boost and cut stop working, or the whole sound of the bass?

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Daft question, with there being no on off switch for the active circuit, is the circuit always on when a cable is plugged in?

Also, if the battery is running out, or runs out, does just the eq boost and cut stop working, or the whole sound of the bass?

Yes and the sound degrades rather than going off.  It may be crackly and/or lower output.  When I buy an active bass I pretty much always change the battery and write the date on it.  I then change batteries on my birthday each year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

Yes and the sound degrades rather than going off.  It may be crackly and/or lower output.  When I buy an active bass I pretty much always change the battery and write the date on it.  I then change batteries on my birthday each year.

Or treat yourself to one of these for £8 and never have to worry about a flat battery or getting rid of a perfectly usable one again!

Edited by Al Krow

23 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

Ah, worms/can. It's hard to say as I have them in very different basses.

My TP is in a maple winged Euro, the SNC in a swamp ash winged USA forte 5. To try to sum up...

TP

340?cb=20111109200237

SNC

7dd9b24227b48a85034861b707a5e89b.jpg

Hope this helps

I'll stick with the Tonepump for now then, it seems to be more socially acceptable 😆

On 08/06/2020 at 19:59, Paulhauser said:

Not at all! 🙂 Spectors do rule, at least for me. I have some other great basses from other makers which I enjoy but I'll always get back to square one. 
This pic was taken this morning after finishing a long recording session yesterday. Ever since I got this NS-5XL a few years back this is my main recording bass ( I'm too protective to take for most of my gigs)

IMG_2704.thumb.jpg.9e540e3b38a27f5f114b1e97959364b9.jpg

An absolute beaut!

• Thanks 1

I've rejoined the gang.

A friend invited me to join a new band, going back to my metal roots. It's in drop C, and I've never played a bass more suited to heavy drop tuning than a Spector.

Step 1 of my plan - I sold my NS2000/4 to a mate years ago and instantly regretted it. Soon after I managed to get hold of another one... and sold it to another mate. More regret. Despite years of pestering he always refused - until now! So here it is, in spotless condition:

20200613_132925.jpg

20200613_132951.jpg

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've rejoined the gang.

A friend invited me to join a new band, going back to my metal roots. It's in drop C, and I've never played a bass more suited to heavy drop tuning than a Spector.

Step 1 of my plan - I sold my NS2000/4 to a mate years ago and instantly regretted it. Soon after I managed to get hold of another one... and sold it to another mate. More regret. Despite years of pestering he always refused - until now! So here it is:

20200613_132925.jpg

20200613_132951.jpg

Welcome back! Great looking bass. Congrats. Remember, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave 😎

• Like 1

Step 2: Convince myself I need another Spector - easy!

I noticed @Dov65 selling his limited edition Euro on here and after a quick phone call it was mine! These truly are wonderful basses. Impeccable craftsmanship and an aggressive growl like no other bass. I'm having to readjust to active basses but it's worth it for the incredible tone this thing puts out. Drop C on this thing is a brutal experience. 

So here it is - Eddie Jackson!

20200613_134008.jpg

20200613_134112.jpg

20200613_133938.jpg

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Step 2: Convince myself I need another Spector - easy!

I noticed @Dov65 selling his limited edition Euro on here and after a quick phone call it was mine! These truly are wonderful basses. Impeccable craftsmanship and an aggressive growl like no other bass. I'm having to readjust to active basses but it's worth it for the incredible tone this thing puts out. Drop C on this thing is a brutal experience. 

So here it is - Eddie Jackson!

20200613_134008.jpg

20200613_134112.jpg

20200613_133938.jpg

Wow. You scored big time 👍

Amazing bass for a super fair price. I saw it being on sale and I was really, really tempted to get the Eddie Jackson to complement my Mike Starr 😉

Enjoy and looking forward to step 3 😎

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Wow. You scored big time 👍

Amazing bass for a super fair price. I saw it being on sale and I was really, really tempted to get the Eddie Jackson to complement my Mike Starr 😉

Enjoy and looking forward to step 3 😎

Don't tempt me!

I've been playing along to Empire this afternoon... we're all used to the 'everything on' tone, but the P pickup on it's own is awesome too.

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Don't tempt me!

I've been playing along to Empire this afternoon... we're all used to the 'everything on' tone, but the P pickup on it's own is awesome too.

Yes, Empire is a great album. Actually, both Empire and Operation Mindcrime are among my fav albums.

I like the p on its own too. Like Ian Hill who never uses the J and that's why his new sig only comes with a P. 

• Like 1