Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

On 06/06/2019 at 18:03, ead said:

NBD :) the Euro 4LE 1979 has landed.  Here are the happy couple.

319438389_EuroLEs.thumb.jpg.7e968df5219bd2df559590067a2aa47d.jpg

How does the neck on the 79 compare to the 77 ? Just picked up a 77 and its cracking with the shallower neck really good

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

How does the neck on the 79 compare to the 77 ? Just picked up a 77 and its cracking with the shallower neck really good

Whilst I don't have any proper tools to measure, I have just had a good look at them side by side and can feel no noticeable difference between the two.  Both necks are delightful :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ead said:

Whilst I don't have any proper tools to measure, I have just had a good look at them side by side and can feel no noticeable difference between the two.  Both necks are delightful :)

I also have a 1977 and enjoy it so much that contemplating buying a 1979, too. Even if I don't use 4 string basses much but this is such a fun bass to play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ead said:

They only made 50 of the '77 version according to PJ Rubal.  He's getting the final production numbers for the '79 for me at some point.

Please share if you'll get the answer from PJ. Awesome man he is, the best customer service I have ever experienced in the muisc biz. Kind of miss him from Spector since the Korg buyout. 

• Like 2

New Spector fan here!

Not my usual choice of bass, but my word, they're fantastic!

Originally (well, a day ago) I managed to get a legend 4 blue fade second hand. Played it and it was great! Different sound to any other bass I have, but in a good way. 

I'd previously looked at the various  ranges and loved the holoflash finish, but they look discontinued (couldnt find any online) and a lot more expensive.

Luckily though I found one second hand and received it today and it's a stunner! So well built and finished. Love it.

The blue fade has to go to recoup some money, but I'd happily keep it if money was no option.

Just on the holoflash, I think it may be slightly different from the blue fade. The blue fade had a volume for each pick up (p and j) and then a bass and treble knob for the active circuit. The holoflash seems different. Does anyone know what the knobs do or how they work?

Also, what is the tone pump jr? And is it adjustable like the full tone pump?

• Like 1

Some helpful comments on the TonePump and TonePump Jr in the attached thread:

These really are excellent basses aren't they?! But it's a slippery slope et cetera...😁

I dipped my toe with a used Spector Legend Custom 5er, which was apparently one of the higher end Legends and unusually had a 3 band EQ. Liked it so much, it got me thinking what a EuroLX5 might be like and when Andertons had a couple of new old stock on for a really good price (by Spector EuroLX standards anyway!), I jumped.

Zero regrets and it's been a serious GAS killer for me: I kinda find myself looking at comparably priced basses to my Spector and thinking, would I trade? Which seems to be a pretty good test in my books. So far the answer's been a resounding nah, I'd definitely keep the Spector!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha, indeed! 

But the rest of my post was not entirely humbug either, was it?! 

Not at all! 🙂 Spectors do rule, at least for me. I have some other great basses from other makers which I enjoy but I'll always get back to square one. 
This pic was taken this morning after finishing a long recording session yesterday. Ever since I got this NS-5XL a few years back this is my main recording bass ( I'm too protective to take for most of my gigs)

IMG_2704.thumb.jpg.9e540e3b38a27f5f114b1e97959364b9.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Not at all! 🙂 Spectors do rule, at least for me. I have some other great basses from other makers which I enjoy but I'll always get back to square one. 
This pic was taken this morning after finishing a long recording session yesterday. Ever since I got this NS-5XL a few years back this is my main recording bass ( I'm too protective to take for most of my gigs)

IMG_2704.thumb.jpg.9e540e3b38a27f5f114b1e97959364b9.jpg

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a stunning finish. Love it!🤩

18 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Thank you. All the glory goes to Stuart Spector and co. It has nothing to do with me other than being a lucky man to own it. 🙂

302919_2155137488985_1562900510_32233500_1673599898_n.jpg.66a8a5aafea77e1844eeb7790ec8d7cd.jpg

This is an amazing premium buckeye burl top. Congrats. Hope to ever have enough dough to get a NS2 or 4 with such a cool top in an inferno high gloss finish. The most recent US Spectors with that kind of top; however, are rather underwhelming

Spector2.jpg.aecc251d8b8b6853272ca826c9b73fa3.jpg 

Spector.jpg.92bc004398c9379ee0ba9d2f521f33cc.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

This is an amazing premium buckeye burl top. Congrats. Hope to ever have enough dough to get a NS2 or 4 with such a cool top in an inferno high gloss finish. The most recent US Spectors with that kind of top; however, are rather underwhelming

Spector2.jpg.aecc251d8b8b6853272ca826c9b73fa3.jpg 

Spector.jpg.92bc004398c9379ee0ba9d2f521f33cc.jpg

These are killer tops and yes the inferno red can be very nice as well. I think the complexity of the buckeye burl goes very well with the NS shape, I have two NS-5Xl with buckeye, they are really different but both very beautiful. 

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tell us a bit more about this recording session you've just done @Paulhauser sounds good! 

Thank you for the interest @Al Krow

This was the  final bass session for the next LP of my band 'Divided'. We do original songs and have a style that is a mix of '80s rock, modern heavy music, electronica and so on. 

These songs that I have linked below are a kind of preview of said record so you can get the idea (I played the NS-5XL pictured above on all of the tracks) These are not the final mixed, more like demo versions that we released. But you'll get the idea.

The record - called Behind your neon eyes- is going to be released in one month by Nail records. 

• Like 1

Great, thanks! Looking forward to having a listen. 

You're definitely living the creative dream (said from the perspective of an amateur covers band bassist). Are you guys full time pros or "just" doing it as a serious side line? 

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great, thanks! Looking forward to having a listen. 

You're definitely living the creative dream (said from the perspective of an amateur covers band bassist). Are you guys full time pros or "just" doing it as a serious side line? 

Thank you for your time, I'ld love to hear your opinion once you'll get around listening to the tracks.

Our approach to build our band and brand is professional but given the current state of music industry (pre-covid included) all of us have other jobs and I don't see this changing soon. So its rather a serious sideline for the time being. (tbh I'm very happy with it as it is. It gives us creative freedom)

5 minutes ago, la bam said:

What strings is everyone using with their Spectors?

The stock ones it arrived from Andertons with. Not sure they ever told me what they are. I'll likely be swapping to my usual D'Addario Nickels 170-5 when the time comes. 

I picked up some gen on Tones Pumps from SNC who posts on Talk Bass. He also makes clone Haz's which I have one. Essentially the Tone Pump does cut as well as boost, Michalik says this on his website too... Bass: +14dB/-4dB @55Hz, Treble: +14dB/-12dB @6,5kHz. Long story short to set the TP flat you have the bass at 9 o'clock and the treble at Midday.

I did post a thread about it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it on search... maybe got lost when the site transitioned

Also, I have my TP's set for T/T/V/P which is much more friendly (for me) than V/V/T/T

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I picked up some gen on Tones Pumps from SNC who posts on Talk Bass. He also makes clone Haz's which I have one. Essentially the Tone Pump does cut as well as boost, Michalik says this on his website too... Bass: +14dB/-4dB @55Hz, Treble: +14dB/-12dB @6,5kHz. Long story short to set the TP flat you have the bass at 9 o'clock and the treble at Midday.

I did post a thread about it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it on search... maybe got lost when the site transitioned

Also, I have my TP's set for T/T/V/P which is much more friendly (for me) than V/V/T/T

I'm after a Haz clone... how would you compare it to the Tonepump? 

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The stock ones it arrived from Andertons with. Not sure they ever told me what they are. I'll likely be swapping to my usual D'Addario Nickels 170-5 when the time comes. 

Same here, with the honorable exception that I like the D'Addarion EXL170BT set.