Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Question for all of you gigging your spectors... How do you manage with, or did you adjust to the offset body (which I assume is caused by a shorter horn) ??? 

I tend to play with a pretty short strap, with basses usually pretty horizontal as opposed to diagonal, but the spector wants to sit off to the left or pointing upwards and it all just feels a bit "odd"

20191206_202239.jpg

19 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Question for all of you gigging your spectors... How do you manage with, or did you adjust to the offset body (which I assume is caused by a shorter horn) ??? 

I tend to play with a pretty short strap, with basses usually pretty horizontal as opposed to diagonal, but the spector wants to sit off to the left or pointing upwards and it all just feels a bit "odd"

20191206_202239.jpg

I started by using my strap set a bit shorter to compensate for the fact the strap button is not at the bottom of the body but part way around, which I guess would equate to your shorter strap. Didn't find it comfortable at all! Went back to full length strap and hey presto, much more comfortable to wear. 

So I would recommend trying a longer strap. 

Edited by Al Krow

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I started by using my strap set a bit shorter to compensate for the fact the strap button is not at the bottom of the body but part way around, which I guess would equate to your shorter strap. Didn't find it comfortable at all! Went back to full length strap and hey presto, much more comfortable to wear. 

So I would recommend trying a longer strap. 

Thanks for that, Al! I tried a longer strap the last time I gigged it actually, but it just seemed to make neck want to pull up as opposed to make it sit more naturally (to me anyways). Maybe I'll just have to get used to it! 🤷‍♂️

Just saw someone over at TB mentioning that PJ has his website up showcasing his personal collection of Spector basses and memorabilia.

It shows some amazing looking basses from all Spector eras - Brooklyn, Kramer, SSD and Woodstock.

Please check it out here: http://vintagespector.com/index.html

Really love his bass collection. I hope he will keep on uploading more beauties. Would also be great to see a coffee table book in the future like Geddy Lee's.

I was also pleased to see his Forte #169, the sibling of my #168.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slightly depressing news...

Seems like that the possibility of getting a Euro LX 5er with P/J configured EMG 40TW soap bars is off the menu:

According to chap I've been speaking to at Andertons today, they are only offering that option with the 6 string version now and not the 5. They've redone the whole line for 2020 and they now come with EMG 40DC which does not offer the same flexibility as the 40TWs.

They are apparently not even offering the Aguilar pups anymore on the 5's! It is only EMG or Barts at the moment as they have just done a deal with Bartolini.

Anyone else heard / confirm this?

If that's correct my double J/humbucker configured EMG 40TW 5er has just got itself further embedded in my herd! I guess the solution is to get hold of a decent used Spector EuroLX and sub in a EMG 40P5  https://www.emg-pickupsonline.co.uk/emg-40p5/ for the neck pup.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

They've redone the whole line for 2020 and they now come with EMG 40DC which does not offer the same flexibility as the 40TWs.

I had DC's ordered with my Forte 5. When it came it had TW's, which on the coil-tap, split whatever sounded weedy. Sent it back and had the DC's put in... Bostin'!

You get a more crisp J with the single coil. I find it works really well when blended with the other pup in full humbucker mode. Definitely not a weedy sound with that combination!

Besides if you need things beefed up you can always get a further boost by dialling up the TonePump - but most folk on this thread seem to find 50% Tone Pump plenty. 

With the EMG DC you don't get the choice, so it's good you prefer it on its one default setting. Horses for courses eh? 

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If that's correct my double J/humbucker configured EMG 40TW 5er has just got itself further embedded in my herd! I guess the solution is to get hold of a decent used Spector EuroLX and sub in a EMG 40P5  https://www.emg-pickupsonline.co.uk/emg-40p5/ for the neck pup.

11 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

I had DC's ordered with my Forte 5. When it came it had TW's, which on the coil-tap, split whatever sounded weedy. Sent it back and had the DC's put in... Bostin'!

I have a couple of Euro/US 5 string Spectors either with the DC or the TW (and have one with 40 housing P/J)

I like the X series DC in my main recording bass, crisp, wide and very powerful and works well with the HAZ preamp.

I happen to like my other one with the two TWX in it. In my experience the TWX is a big step from the TW as the volume drop is lot less when using the coil tap and the wholes sound is wider and more alive. So I would not worry much if the new models only come with the DC, replacing them with the TWX is not a big deal, it is fairly easy to drop in, hook up with the tonepump, the only thing to be aware of that the push-pull pots need wider holes so better take it to a luthier / skilled tech with appropriate tools. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 10:20, Paulhauser said:

I happen to like my other one with the two TWX in it. In my experience the TWX is a big step from the TW as the volume drop is lot less when using the coil tap and the wholes sound is wider and more alive. So I would not worry much if the new models only come with the DC, replacing them with the TWX is not a big deal, it is fairly easy to drop in, hook up with the tonepump, the only thing to be aware of that the push-pull pots need wider holes so better take it to a luthier / skilled tech with appropriate tools. 

Yeah, agree that there is a fair old volume drop on the TW going from double to single coil, so if the TWX has largely dealt with that, then definitely worth putting those on my radar to swap out the TWs at some point.

Thinking this through, I'm not sure you would ever use a coil tap with a P configured pup so if I'm looking for a P/J config then a good combo would be neck 40P5 plus 40TWX for the bridge pup?

So a push/pull pot for the single / double coil bridge pup; bass and treble pots plus simple volume pot for the P. Or better still keep the push / pull pot for the P and use this as a active / passive switch. Now all I need is to find a clever techy who can sort this out for me! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thinking this through, I'm not sure you would ever use a coil tap with a P configured pup so if I'm looking for a P/J config then a good combo would be neck 40P5 plus 40TWX for the bridge pup?

So a push/pull pot for the single / double coil bridge pup; bass and treble pots plus simple volume pot for the P.

I'm not sure I get your point as P's are not splitable. The TW is basically two J's parallel to each other and if you use the coil tap only one of them is working.  
I have a 40P5 /40J in one of my Spectors and that nails the classic Spector PJ sound. If you keep the TW at the bridge and split it you will get close to that. The only problem can be matching the volumes as the P has a strong signal and the coil tapped TW is already lower in volume so might be tricky. (on my 40P5/40J the J is much closer to the strings to get the same volume output)

33 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I'm not sure I get your point as P's are not splitable. The TW is basically two J's parallel to each other and if you use the coil tap only one of them is working.  

Yup - I was agreeing with you on this, although clearly not expressing it very well!

33 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I have a 40P5 /40J in one of my Spectors and that nails the classic Spector PJ sound. If you keep the TW at the bridge and split it you will get close to that. The only problem can be matching the volumes as the P has a strong signal and the coil tapped TW is already lower in volume so might be tricky. (on my 40P5/40J the J is much closer to the strings to get the same volume output)

Based on what you've said the 40P5 plus 40TWX seem to be a really good combination - i.e. you've said that with the TWX you can switch settings between the double coil humbucker to the single coil J or without too much loss in volume, which is much more of an issue with the TW pups.

I'm very tempted to replace my two 40TWs with this combination at some point.

Just really enjoyed having both 40TWs in humbucker mode with neck pup on 10/10 and bridge on 5/10 to add in a slice of sweetening mid-cut. 

Now wondering if the hassle and expense of replacing these pups with the 40P5 and 40TWX is actually going to be wise move, or whether to double down and load these pups on a different Spector body at considerably greater expense! Decisions, decisions...

Just now, krispn said:

New Spector. Why not 🙂

Haha, won't find a new one with the 40P5 / 40TWX combo. I think best bet might be to get hold of a decent quality used Euro LX5 at a decent price. The ones currently in the FS are a little too pricey unfortunately, whereas the LX4 which is in even better condition than either LX5 is on for a better price and willing to take offers, but I'm only after a 5er. Typical eh?!

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just really enjoyed having both 40TWs in humbucker mode with neck pup on 10/10 and bridge on 5/10 to add in a slice of sweetening mid-cut. 

Now wondering if the hassle and expense of replacing these pups with the 40P5 and 40TWX is actually going to be wise move, or whether to double down and load these pups on a different Spector body at considerably greater expense! Decisions, decisions...

Keep it like it is for the time being if you enjoy the sounds you get from it. I recorded and played loads of gigs with my Euro5 with the original TWs in it and they ARE great! The P ads a different vibe, not better but different. Really you should have another Spector and do the mods with that - I did so and enjoy having a number of options. 

• Like 1