Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Just joined the ranks of Spector owners.  Being a short-scale player, and not being able to afford a US Shorty, it had to be a Bantam.  Very nice too, especially in Trans Black, although I'm still getting used to the neck that is wider and flatter than I've played before.  Gave it its first run out at last Saturday's gig and the other guys in the band (classic rock covers) liked it too - it certainly stands up for itself in the mix.  I'll grab a pic or 2.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

I've got a Legend Custom 5 Bubinga neck through with upgraded hardware, got it in a deal on fleabay, and i love the neck on it, so much so that i am seriously considering trading my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 string broadneck for a Euro 5 (hint hint hint to anybody who has one). The shape of the body is amazing, would love a Rex Brown 5 but if and when one pops up i will probably still be in debt and not afford to get it :( 

The Legend has a great tone and feel, but it weighs a ton, will post a pic with the Spector and the significantly more expensive copy later on today :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up a nice Euro4lx tw just before Christmas,i was also lucky enough to grab a USA geddy lee a few months before that with a view to me moving on from my trusty Sadowksy uv70 metro i've gigged with for around 4 years .

The Sadowsky became my solo live bass immediately due to its incredible tone across the neck and playability .Never used the active side just passive and its a peach.

The Geddy felt a bit fatter on the neck and given it had old strings on struggled against the Sadowsky,restrung i've did 3 sets with it now and its growing on me

Always loved the look of the Spector since Stings white one .The satin black finish on mine is to die for and the feel of your hand against that finish on the neck is 10/10 .The rest took a little getting used to,the back strap button,the long neck,the wide neck,etc.Then there's the tone which is always active and you tweek from there .Few weeks in and i gigged at the weekend.First thing i notice is the volume WOW! Immense .I found wheras i normally set controls and just go i was tweeking the treble and bass between songs and also the pick ups on/off with great effect .Couple of minors are the slight neck dive and i think the Sadowksy tops the other two for the G and D string cutting through on something like Ramble on or Wont get fooled again .Anyway just my input and The Euro is staying as its by far the coolest looking and a change is as good as a rest

• Like 2

On 09/01/2019 at 14:57, ead said:

Haha.  Took a major gamble late last year and decided to sell my much loved Euro LX in order to acquire one of these when one popped up in my price range.

Do you already have it? If so, how do you like it?

I was on the fence about these but decided against as I don't use 4 string basses. 

3 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Do you already have it? If so, how do you like it?

I was on the fence about these but decided against as I don't use 4 string basses. 

Not yet Paul.  The bass will be shipped on Monday so hopefully with me on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Very interested in this thread , I'm pretty much a died in the wool  precision man to the point I come out in a rash if I go near a jazz bass.

However Spectors are looking very appealing to me especially the Euro LX with the PJ configuration ,

So a couple of questions to you experts how do they compare to a precision in term of tones etc , what are they generally like for weight , I have a great Limelight but I'm struggling with playing long sets with it due to weight  as opposed to my Maruszczyk which is really light.

I'm in Wigan and looking around there don't seem to be any local stockists and at around £1700 they're no cheap to take a punt on

Other option is a used one which is what I'm thinking about just interested in peoples thoughts

I play in a covers band which covering everything from Indie to motown  depending on gig

Cheers steve

For me, Spectors are a fantastic tool of many musical trades. They feel supremely comfortable and ergonomic, have a wide tonal palette and can suit almost any musical situation. If you like a P sound then you will find it here... with extra authority, plus the ability to add extra sparkle or depth with the active EMGs/preamp. If you prefer a more nasal, funky honk - it's here with the solo'd J pickup. If you like a tight rock tone then both pickups full on will have you cutting through the mix. The bass and treble controls can give a huge choice from dub to hi-fi click too...
A typical EuroLX will be in the region of 9lbs of weight so not light, but not old school heavy either. There may be a forum member here in the Greater Manchester area who you can meet with to try one?

The other great thing about Spector is the customer support and relations, with PJ (Head of Artist Relations) & Stuart Spector himself both being available online/on the phone to their players! There is also a fantastic Facebook group of players (Spector Bass Nation) who are hugely supportive and friendly who help each other out too - we even have top 'name' players in our group! It sounds twee, but Spector players really are a 'family' of sorts.... :)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 5

Thanks for that I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance everything I have read about them has been positive

While 9LBS is a bit heavier than my Maruszczyk its not an issue and by the sound of things the versatility of the bass would have all bases covered

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, peety said:

Very interested in this thread , I'm pretty much a died in the wool  precision man to the point I come out in a rash if I go near a jazz bass.

However Spectors are looking very appealing to me especially the Euro LX with the PJ configuration ,

So a couple of questions to you experts how do they compare to a precision in term of tones etc , what are they generally like for weight , I have a great Limelight but I'm struggling with playing long sets with it due to weight  as opposed to my Maruszczyk which is really light.

I'm in Wigan and looking around there don't seem to be any local stockists and at around £1700 they're no cheap to take a punt on

Other option is a used one which is what I'm thinking about just interested in peoples thoughts

I play in a covers band which covering everything from Indie to motown  depending on gig

Cheers steve

i'D recommend finding one to try,not really much similar to a P except the generous sized neck .The euro and usa have a curved body and are long scale and the back strap button is a bid odd at first.Weight wise my Euro4 i'd say is average .Not lightweight but not a heavy as a Metro Sadowsky .Fab basses but different

@cetera pretty much nailed it. 

I'm using Spectors almost exclusively live and in studio for the last 10-11 years. (Euro5 and NS-5XLs)

What I really like about my Spectors and Spectors in general are three things:

- they suit me ergonomically. The sleek undersized body sits well both sit down or stand up position and the bass hangs balanced and the same position stand up as it does when I play sit down. No need to use any of my nahds/fingers to keep it in position.

- the sound is very easy to work with both live and studio. I don't use any pedals, the eq is flat on my amp (or preamp/DI if I'm going direct) and on the bass as well and the sound cuts through even in a dense mix.

- the community of the Spector players is awesome, said facebook page is great and also the way Spector and PJ  Rubal treat customers is top notch.

There is a constant and quite stable market for used Spector Euro basses so you don't risk much if you buy one used. Good luck!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, peety said:

Thanks for that I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance everything I have read about them has been positive

While 9LBS is a bit heavier than my Maruszczyk its not an issue and by the sound of things the versatility of the bass would have all bases covered

I'm in Chorley and have a number of P basses (only 2 of which are Fenders).  You would be most welcome to come and try my basses and A/B to yours if you wish.

The bass has landed safely.  It is like new, I can't find a mark on it.

Action adjusted, Tonepump wound back a little and plugged in.  Goodness what a great bass.  Looking forward to using this one with the band (s) rather a lot.  I'll do more pictures when the light is good, but here's another from the ebay advert to keep you going...

image.thumb.jpeg.a8b6926dae8370f6ae714966ff28ed82.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ead said:

The bass has landed safely.  It is like new, I can't find a mark on it.

Action adjusted, Tonepump wound back a little and plugged in.  Goodness what a great bass.  Looking forward to using this one with the band (s) rather a lot.  I'll do more pictures when the light is good, but here's another from the ebay advert to keep you going...

image.thumb.jpeg.a8b6926dae8370f6ae714966ff28ed82.jpeg

Woof! Wood!

Lovely Mmmm

On 11/01/2019 at 13:50, peety said:

So a couple of questions to you experts how do they compare to a precision in term of tones etc , what are they generally like for weight , I have a great Limelight but I'm struggling with playing long sets with it due to weight as opposed to my Maruszczyk which is really light

I had a Euro 4 LX for a few years and currently play a 50's Lacquer Precision and also a Sandberg PM4 (which is may be fairly similar to your Maruszczyk??). I had always wanted one, loved the looks and the sound that i had heard on records and it was a 50th birthday indulgent gift from the missus so i really tried to love it but ultimately it wasn't for me.

The Spector could be from a different planet compared with the 2 P bass styles. I couldn't get a Precision tone from it - the Tonepump preamp and EMG pickups sound much more modern and it doesn't have the warm low mid punch that works so well in a band that the Fender P bass has. The Spector has oodles of big clean low end and sparkle but is much more hifi sounding. It didn't have the fatness of a Precision and i found it a bit sterile. It may not do the Motown thing too well in my opinion.

I didn't find it as comfortable as a P bass to play either when stood up - it wasn't particularly heavy but it feels like the 1st fret is a few inches further out to your left due to the bridge being mounted inboard to the body. Everything feels a bit closer in on the P bass. And i think i prefer slightly bigger bodies too in general. Lovely quality though.

I think you would be better off grabbing a used one off here - if you don't gel with it when you've gigged it a bit you can flip it back with minimal loss. At £1700 you're taking a risk.

Edited by Mudpup