Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Well, I am sure they would have accepted twice the price if you had asked them nicely!

I got a spector today - not sure what model, but isn't contoured. Wanted one to see what they were like, it is ok, seems comfortable enough although the neck might be a bit wide for me. Will gig it this weekend and see how it plays

• Haha 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again...... best value (at each price point), build quality, feel, sound and customer service you'll find. Looks sexy and you get to put numbskulls in their place when they ask "Is that a Warwick?" ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats the chap. The one that changed name a lot of times!. Needs new strings (which is a shame as I wanted to try those black ones but they are dead as a dead thing), and a tweak on the neck to get the action down but plays ok.

I am prepared to wager significant sums on it being a Q5 Pro - I have one here and have done loads of research. :)

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I am prepared to wager significant sums on it being a Q5 Pro

I am prepared to believe you. It wasn’t specifically what I was after, there was a legend custom on bassdirect and a walnut custom on Andertons that I would have preferred but they were both real money, which would probably only come after I decided I liked something!

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am prepared to believe you. It wasn’t specifically what I was after, there was a legend custom on bassdirect and a walnut custom on Andertons that I would have preferred but they were both real money, which would probably only come after I decided I liked something!

The Q5 is a budget model, but decent for what it is. I don't particularly like the tone of mine, or the string spacing but I think that's more my problem than one with the bass.

Does anyone want to buy a Spector? :crazy:

• Haha 1

I had a Euro 5LX that I purchased from another member on here (although I purchased through a shared Facebook post and only found the ad on here later) and it was superb. Incredibly even sound across all the strings and a really good, solid low B. I prefer the models with EMGs compared to the rather darker Aguilar pickups they come with on some models now. I think the best thing about it was the finish, it had clear gloss all over including the neck but it was so smooth and perfectly applied that it could match a satin finished wood neck for playability. The finish on the body was like a mirror, just perfectly applied.

Two things that did annoy me about it though, first being upper fret access, it is poor. That said, I've got a 6 string bass with superb access so I don't really need all my basses to have amazing upper fret access though it did annoy me on the Spector. The second issue was the bridge, which wasn't wide enough to thread certain B strings through. It absolutely needed to be strung with taperwounds, as I found when I couldn't get a .135 or a .130 B string through which had the windings all the way to the ball end. A known issue with the Spector bridge, the solution I saw suggested was to take a file to it and widen the opening - I wasn't brave enough and worried about damaging the finish. It was fine with taperwounds but obviously limited the choice of strings it could be used with.

I'd love a Euro 4LC with the EMG P/J combo and will probably own one of those some day. I wouldn't mind owning a proper US 5 string either although they're the thick end of £5000, they are superb.

xuNHvcP.jpg

• Like 6

Well I wasn’t originally sold on it as the string spacing is a bit too wide on the neck and the strings were a bit dead so it didn’t sound great, but I decided to gig it, as things are different in a gig.

turned out it was great, even the dead strings weren’t so bad, although I noticed how dead they were on all right now (sounded fine on the verse!), spacing didn’t cause an issue and apart from a lack of familiarity with the controls, it was great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thundachopz said:

What strings?

They are labella black nylon tapes. I’ve owned this bass for around 5 years and it was strung with these when I bought it and to be honestly I changed them as soon as I got home for rounds as they were what I was used to. Around a year ago I realised that I’d kept them so decided to give them a go and boy was that a smart move, they are so much better than I ever imagined, nice feel and very articulate sound. I have them on a couple of my other basses now.

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit of a Spector obsessive, as @Bassulike66 and @cetera know!  I don't have any at the moment but have owned 16 over the years. Like Rickenbackers, they are an itch I sometimes just have to scratch, so I'm sure I'll own another one soon!

My favourites have been the NS2000 model. I actually prefer them over the Euro. Seller's remorse, right there. :sad:

• Like 2