Why become a member? ×

New cab suggestions

bonzodog

Hi all

I'm looking for some new cabs. My current cabs I feel have a distinct lack of bottom end which ive noticed more recently as we've done a string of larger pubs (no PA support for bass)

I currently use 2 x 112 Fender Rumbles V3. They look great and are lightweight which are a real plus. I currently use it with a GK MB500 as I like the tone from that amp but have also used them with my Hartke LH500. With both amps Ive never felt there was much of a bottom end which is what I want.

I play in a 3 piece doing Mod /Rock/punk songs and use MIM P bass with flats.

The problem is I don't have the money to go to barefaced territory so I think with maybe £300 for my rumbles I can double it and spend around £600 mark.

I'm looking at a 2 cab solution due to back issues and was thinking of trying out 15s. I quite like the look of the Rootmaster series and may even try a 210 and 115 configuration (although it's not always recommended). Not sure if this would be trade up from a rumble though due to similar price. I could just switch to rumble 15s but was keen to see if anyone else had any recommendations. 

Plan to visit PMT next week to try some out

Thanks

I`ve not heard the Rumble cabs in action but the Rootmasters are very nice cabs - I had the 210/115 for a while, swapped to two of the 210s, both set-ups very nice and they`re an easy lift. But, and this is a big but, have you considered changing to rounds instead of flats? For the music stated try some Rotosound/Warwick Red Lable Steel rounds with all the extra harmonics going on that come with rounds, it may be a much more economical way of getting where you need. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Lozz. Try a set of roundwounds first; a. because for the styles you are playing they would suit better than flats IMO and b. your bass will sound completely different for very little expense.  A precision into 500w GK and two single twelves shouldn't lack unless you are scooping the mids too much and trying to cut through with deep bass. Low mids is where you'll find the answer.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys. I did already have roundwounds on before my flats and did not notice much difference.

Anyway I decided to buy a couple of Gen 1 Compacts off here. These are the 15s and no doubt I only needed to buy one but they were both at a good price and it's nice to have a spare and also when using one I can have it on top of the other nearer my ears.

First gig last night and as it was a huge room I decided to run both. Got to say I was blown away by how much bottom end there was. Lovely tone and surprising amount of top end too. Only one gig in but so far this is the sound I've been trying for. Pics below taken at home

20181005_185647.jpg