Why become a member? ×

N (un) ‘effed BD - Squire P - Black Beauty!!!

Pea Turgh

Yo yo yo. Just popped in to mate’s on the way home from work, where he offered me his Squire for free!

The reason for the freeness is the neck is warped. You could drive a bus under that action!

Now I read this site every day, any bass is a ‘project’.  This one only needs a new neck, so here we are!

I feel bad not giving my mate some sort of financial redress though. How much would you give your mate for something like this?  It’s from Indonesia.

I’m feeling black plate, maple board.

1C11DCEF-7B14-4C43-BA77-B0D843C4BEE4.jpeg

24D5BAF7-2032-41E5-A172-3334F40844F4.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
Additional info

28 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I thought a twist was Game Over?  How do you do it?

Have a read here.

I think judicious use of the steam iron is a valuable contributing factor. 

Also, when you fit the neck after wards, tighten the truss rod BEFORE you tighten the strings. It's worth remembering with these cheap basses, the necks are no the best. So, you need to make good use of the TR to compensate for the lack of structure in the wood. But with care, you can get a good result.

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Should have made myself clearer - I would take on your twister if you wanted to get rid...

I like a challenge!

You can have it!

The new one arrived today - I only ordered it yesterday!  Looks lush. Will try to fit it later after domestic duties are complete.

875FE0EA-7681-4FD0-A4FA-4603EE181E8C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

You can have it!

The new one arrived today - I only ordered it yesterday!  Looks lush. Will try to fit it later after domestic duties are complete.

875FE0EA-7681-4FD0-A4FA-4603EE181E8C.jpeg

Awesome, I'll drop you a PM :)

That does look nice, and what great service. 

The scratch plate arrived this morning. I had to widen the pickup holes, cut in to the neck pocket corners and cut the truss adjustment hole (original neck was  headstock-end truss nut).

i am really pleased with the neck - it’s perfect!  Look at this grain!!!

I have no affiliation to the seller, just thought I’d add a link to them as they do a few neck options...

musicalaccessories

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232723568523

80FD2C9F-9287-4038-82D6-CC8A9CBD8C6B.jpeg

9B9090D2-03BA-42D5-A163-C6183903F4D3.jpeg

A67694CE-7813-4964-9BA2-D5870A66D7DA.jpeg

7558602E-6FE2-4244-ACC4-EA69F0ACF8E1.jpeg

7B406EF8-9F44-487F-BAF4-3DE8F6949993.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I knew this bass had potential, but I lacked the tools and attention to detail to bring it out.  Luckily, I knew of a very good tech in the area. Apparently, so does everyone else as he has a 4 week backlog!

For years I’ve thought “I can tweak a truss rod/set intonation” etc, but I now happily admit I was wrong.  The strings are sitting at a perfect height at both ends and over the frets, the action and feel is consistent on every note up and down the neck. Definitely feels like my playing will improve as a result.

I am now very happy with Trigger, the bitsa P!

• Like 1