Why become a member? ×

Replacement Headphone Ear Pads - Help!

No. 8 Wire

Just tapping into the knowledgebase here - my Sony MDR 7506 headphones have shredded ear pads.  A look online and it seems gen Sony ones are either hard to get or ridiculously expensive.  3rd party ones abound but have the opposite problem - too many choices ranging from a pound to £30ish.  

I have no idea what I'm looking at here, memory foam, sheep skin, leather, synthetic..... all I want is something broadly similar to the original pads (ie same level of noise cancelling) at a reasonable price.

Anyone been down this road or have any suggestions or what to get and/or where to get it?

51 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I needed some for some Sennheisers which weren't available, I managed to find non-genuine ones on eBay for a few quid which are great. Perfect fit and decent quality, had to wait a while as they came from China. 

Thanks mate, it might just have to be a shot in the dark of ebay then.  Seem to be all sorts of branded aftermarket 'upgrade' types, but I'm just a bit suspicious that they are the same ones from ebay with £20 slapped on!

41 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Have you tried any of these? The gen sony ones are a bit steep, the whole headphones only cost 90 quid.

1 minute ago, BreadBin said:

Did you have a look on eBay yet mate? There's loads of options on there :)

I paid £2.79 for mine!

Actually I just bought a set for 99p from china, partly out of curiosity to see what if anything turns up!

I figure I'll just keep going up in price until I find something that works....

• 1 month later...

OK, so just about 5 weeks after ordering by 99p ear pads turned up.

Fit: OK they do fit, but actually they are a different shape.  The Sony pads are slightly elliptical while the chinese pads are oval.  They don't sit over the ears so well, but not bad.

Construction.  The sony pads have a gauze and foam backing, but the 99p pads have only the gauze, don't know if this an issue.

Sound.  Weirdly, the Sony pads sounds clearer, which is strange as the 99p pads have less material between the ear and driver.  Both seem to exclude outside noise the same, but I think maybe the sony pads were better before the surface broke down.

Overall, amazing for 99p, but I'll keep my eye out for something that's a direct Sony replacement that isn't a total rip off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qpQRHqF4WuFLEr15A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ibiFZR3g1YYy8BKfA

Edited by No. 8 Wire

On 26/09/2018 at 20:09, BreadBin said:

Exactly! They all look the same so why pay more?

Because different pads can actually make your headphones sound different. Increasing or decreasing the distance between the drivers and hears, can make a significant diference. Not to mention confort and durability.Take this in considereation, specially if you use your headphones  for mixing.

3 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

Because different pads can actually make your headphones sound different. Increasing or decreasing the distance between the drivers and hears, can make a significant diference. Not to mention confort and durability.Take this in considereation, specially if you use your headphones  for mixing.

I think you missed my point - these are all identical items, the only difference is the price.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I think you missed my point - these are all identical items, the only difference is the price.

That's my thoughts too.  The lack of any specs etc on a lot of the fancy packaged stuff suggests they're just the same cheapo stuff in a nice box.

I'd pay for something that I had confidence would be the same as or improve over the oem.