Why become a member? ×

Downloads or a physical product?

ambient

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Mr Edison ruing the day he ever invented recordings, having thought through the nightmare jungle that would ensue ...

pXBh5Nf.jpg

I don’t know if they have it in France, there’s a programme over here called the repair shop. There was one of those things in that photo on the other week. They got it all repaired and refurbished for the lady who owned it, she was crying when she first heard it working again.

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

I prefer hard copies of everything - CDs, Books, videos. I even bought Victor Wooten's book, The Music Lesson on paper and on CD with VW reading the book.

I went to my nephew's flat recently - he's a music lover - no vinyl, no CDs - everything held on his PC. 

What happens when the electricity goes down?

I love proper printed books. I’ve got quite a few PDF’s of text books that people have generously given me, I can get into them though, a proper printed book is totally different though, I can just sit, read and become absorbed in it.

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

I don’t know if they have it in France, there’s a programme over here called the repair shop. There was one of those things in that photo on the other week. They got it all repaired and refurbished for the lady who owned it, she was crying when she first heard it working again.

Yes, I saw that (although it was a much more modern device than that in the picture above..!). The power of nostalgia, eh..? :)

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I prefer hard copies of everything - CDs, Books, videos. I even bought Victor Wooten's book, The Music Lesson on paper and on CD with VW reading the book.

I went to my nephew's flat recently - he's a music lover - no vinyl, no CDs - everything held on his PC. 

What happens when the electricity goes down?

The only music I can listen to if the electricity goes down (which it does round here, had a 12 hour power cut last Friday) is stuff stored on my laptop played through headphones or a battery powered bluetooth speaker. Several hours worth of everything's fully charged when I start. CDs and albums need electricity, unless you've got a hand-cranked gramophone, of course.

CD's for me. Still have all my own and wife's vinyl collected over the years including my first Beatles single at age 3 in 1963 for my birthday :biggrin:

Prefer CD quality and ease of use to vinyl tho.

Some music i have downloaded usually if no other options available.

Use my ipod in car altho that's full of my own collected albums saved on my laptop. Converted all my cassette albums onto CD's yrs ago and then uploaded them onto Windows Media few yrs back too so i can use on my Ipod in car.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I mostly buy CDs through Amazon but will download stuff from Soundcloud or Bandcamp if CD prices are loopy or they're unavailable, and then burn them onto a blank CD.  That said, I'm downsizing my 800 plus CD collection in keeping with the 80/20 rule though it's more  70/30 or 63/35 for me.

Who has the other 2% then? 😄

Physical product for me. I still miss reading the sleeve notes on an LP on the bus on the way home from the record shop which was never an option with the micro print on CDs. Can't imagine reading anything on a kindle. The drummer in my band has something like 1000 albums on the mp3 player in his car. Can't see the point myself.

14 minutes ago, Japhet said:

The drummer in my band has something like 1000 albums on the mp3 player in his car. Can't see the point myself.

He's probably like me. Never knows what mood you're going to be in. So have as much to choose from as possible.

• Like 1

I find it incredible the number of people who put their faith in streaming services when AFAICS none of them are actually making any money and are either being propped up by the profitable parts of their parent company or through 3rd party investment. The only service who were turning a profit - Soundcloud - were only doing so because they weren't paying any artist or publisher royalties.

Streaming services are fine for checking out new (to me) music although if your tastes run to non-US/UK artists or back catalogue for bands that are now defunct, you are likely to be disappointed in their offerings. Neither AppleMusic or Spotify can manage better than 70% of my CD and vinyl collection, and many of the missing artists or albums are ones that I would consider indispensable.

So for me it is CDs first and foremost for audio quality, durability and general convenience.

Secondly vinyl - ideally with a download code.

After that the music has to absolutely brilliant for me to consider investing in a download only version. When it is possible to do a limited edition run of 100 glass mastered CDs (no crappy CDRs) with full colour sleeves for under £350 and 500 CDs for only £150 more, there is absolutely no excuse for not having a physical version of your single/EP/album available. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, bartelby said:

He's probably like me. Never knows what mood you're going to be in. So have as much to choose from as possible.

Must spend a lot of time sitting in lay byes sifting through that lot to try to find the appropriate album to fit the mood. I have 6 CDs in the autochanger and normally swap them at the weekend.

24 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Must spend a lot of time sitting in lay byes sifting through that lot to try to find the appropriate album to fit the mood. 

Not really, stick the thing on shuffle before leaving the driveway. Use the steering wheel controls to skip songs I'm not in the mood for. If a song comes on and I want to listen to the whole album take it off shuffle.

13 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Not really, stick the thing on shuffle before leaving the driveway. Use the steering wheel controls to skip songs I'm not in the mood for. If a song comes on and I want to listen to the whole album take it off shuffle.

I have current band set list saved as playlist on ipod in car. I used to use CD changers in cars a lot but they start getting problems after a lot of use. The Ipod is so much easier and less hassle. Don't use the bluetooth tho as i prefer leaving it plugged in and fully charged thru the USB. It still allows me to use the steering wheel controls too.

Dave

13 hours ago, davepb24 said:

Lost enough photos to a hard drive carking it, wouldn't want music going the same way so vinyl or shiny plastic for me (still got loads of cassettes as well but don't know if they'll still be any good after 30+ years...)

I bought the Homestech Audio Recorder so that I could copy my tapes (mainly "The Hobbit" audio book) on to a hard drive. Best £15 worth of technology I've ever bought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

Must spend a lot of time sitting in lay byes sifting through that lot to try to find the appropriate album to fit the mood. I have 6 CDs in the autochanger and normally swap them at the weekend.

Further to my previous response I managed to get voice control of music on the SD card to work earlier. 

Only had the car 9 months and never thought about using it before...

Tend to use Spotify for ease of use and to try things out, but then buy stuff on CD (occasionally vinyl) if I like it. Reasons for buying are that I still like a physical product and there is a bit of wanting to make sure the artist is remunerated "properly".  Note the parenthesis...

I use pretty much anything that'll have the song on it to learn songs for the band I'm in...so that'll include Spotify, YouTube, shared MP3's, literally anything.

I'll listen to Spotify, and I'm currently listening to a playlist on YouTube. However, if it's music I really like and want, it's always be the physical product for me. It'll usually get put on my MP3 player for portability, but I still have to have the physical product if it's music I really like.