Why become a member? ×

Big price drops on all TC Electronic gear

CameronJ

On 02/10/2018 at 16:58, CameronJ said:

Let us know what the PSU situation is with GuitarGuitar - I’m thinking of ordering mine from them.

I just collected mine from Guitar Guitar and it comes with a standard UK power supply. The box also had clip on plates for other EU plug types.

• Thanks 1

Having had a few days to live with the pedal I have come to the conclusion that it's a great home practice tool but I would not want to use it in a live situation. I do like the tone, having owned several TC amps previously, I know how to make it work to get my tone. However, the deal breaker is the bypass mode which, unless I am doing something wrong, bypasses both tone and volume controls and sends full volume to my powered speaker which would be a nightmare in a gig situation if I activated it accidentally. I can't imagine any reason to have this feature in a preamp pedal.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Having had a few days to live with the pedal I have come to the conclusion that it's a great home practice tool but I would not want to use it in a live situation. I do like the tone, having owned several TC amps previously, I know how to make it work to get my tone. However, the deal breaker is the bypass mode which, unless I am doing something wrong, bypasses both tone and volume controls and sends full volume to my powered speaker which would be a nightmare in a gig situation if I activated it accidentally. I can't imagine any reason to have this feature in a preamp pedal.

Not sure that's particularly unusual John in terms of clean bypass for most pedals? I'd typically adjust the volume with the pedal engaged to be the same as what it is when by-passed so that I didn't get a volume spike or cut.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I can understand your point but I had hoped to use it as a pure preamp in front of a powered speaker rather than a pedal.

John, sorry for labouring the point. But you also have volume controls on the speaker amp and bass, as well as the pedal so it should be relatively straightforward to ensure you have the bypass = engaged volume and the overall volume set as needed via your powered speaker or bass volume control, or am I missing something obvious? 

Edited by Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As the Sub'N'Up and the mini are the same price, are they internally the same thing? I realise that there is a knob missing on the mini, but ultimately do they do the same thing apart from that?

@Dood has owned them both...

The full fat version was previously about £10 more, before the recent price drop. 

Edited by Al Krow

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As the Sub'N'Up and the mini are the same price, are they internally the same thing? I realise that there is a knob missing on the mini, but ultimately do they do the same thing apart from that?

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Dood has owned them both...

The full fat version was previously about £10 more, before the recent price drop. 

Yes, other than the knob thing, I didn't detect any differences in them tonally.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnR said:

Hi john. Without stating the obvious but using the level control you can set the SD to unity gain. Obviously there will be a difference on and off because of the EQ used, but you can still get fairly close to volume a good volume balance. In fact ive not managed to get the off state anywhere near the on state volume wise. 

Can i ask if you got a 3 pin PSU or 2 pin? I forgot to look at mine from Guitar Guitar (ill do it when i get to work), but the one i got direct from TCE earlier this year, which they said was the correct one,  was a proper 3 pin plug with no slide off option for EU type plugs etc. 

Hi. I got a 3 pin PSU which also had attachments to convert to European types.

The point I was making, badly, is that I wanted a preamp in a pedal format and not a preamp pedal if that makes sense?

My home practice signal chain is Spectradrive - Powered Event TR8 studio monitors. If/when I use it live I would use something like a QSC K10.2. I like to set the gain/volume at each stage to maximise headroom and dynamics. This means that my powered monitor volume is set relatively high and I dial in the required gain and control the overall volume from the preamp. In this scenario hitting the bypass switch will result in full volume being sent to the power monitor.

I often used rack preamps with poweramps in the past and had thought I would get the same functionality with the pedal preamp format. 

None of the above is a dealbreaker for me as I only purchased the Spectradrive for home use anyway.

Thanks

John

I recently discovered that there is genuinely a village called Bell End in Worcestershire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_End

Disapointingly, despite wikipedia claiming that one of the local amenities is the 'Bell End service station' further research by myself has discovered that, for some reason, they actually advertise themselves as 'Bell service station'.

Oh well.

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

...despite wikipedia claiming that one of the local amenities is the 'Bell End service station' further research by myself has discovered that, for some reason, they actually advertise themselves as 'Bell service station'.

I wonder why?

10 hours ago, JohnR said:

Hi. I got a 3 pin PSU which also had attachments to convert to European types.

The point I was making, badly, is that I wanted a preamp in a pedal format and not a preamp pedal if that makes sense?

My home practice signal chain is Spectradrive - Powered Event TR8 studio monitors. If/when I use it live I would use something like a QSC K10.2. I like to set the gain/volume at each stage to maximise headroom and dynamics. This means that my powered monitor volume is set relatively high and I dial in the required gain and control the overall volume from the preamp. In this scenario hitting the bypass switch will result in full volume being sent to the power monitor.

I often used rack preamps with poweramps in the past and had thought I would get the same functionality with the pedal preamp format. 

None of the above is a dealbreaker for me as I only purchased the Spectradrive for home use anyway.

Thanks

John

Cheers John. Makes sense. I checked my PSU and its the same as yours. Interesting how some shops have the correct one and some dont. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, goingdownslow said:

Do Andertons know of this price drop... Spectradrive £215,  most other dealers £137.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitar-effects/bass-overdrive-pedals/tc-electronics-spectradrive-bass-preamp-line-driver

That’s strange. They seem to have dropped the price on most other TC gear they have in stock so perhaps it’s just an error. In any case, if you ring them up they’ll price match against the other retailers selling Spectradrives @ £137

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So is the spectradrive similar to the front end of a TC amp? I am currently using my Ashdown CTM100, and I love the sound, but I do miss the versatility of my TC450 so something like that could be pretty handy on a board

Yeah based on the intelligent EQ section of the BH series heads, which IMO are excellent. 

• Like 1