Why become a member? ×

What Killed Rock & Roll?

peteb

14 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Rock music should never particularly trouble the top 40 charts, it's not supposed to be mainstream! 

Why ever not and who said it's not supposed to be mainstream?? And can you get more mainstream than albums going multi-platinum and selling out massive arenas the way dozens of big name rock bands used to do in the 70s and 80s

Last night I started re-watching Stop Making Sense. My 12-year old son was absolutely enthralled, and didn't want to go to bed.

I think that "the kids" would enjoy rock music, it's just not marketed to them any more, so they don't really know it exists. I wonder if it's about the industry reducing costs - if the music is all made on computers, then the only performer you need to pay for is the vocalist, and if you auto-tune them, then they don't even need to be a competent one.

S.P.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Last night I started re-watching Stop Making Sense. My 12-year old son was absolutely enthralled, and didn't want to go to bed.

I think that "the kids" would enjoy rock music, it's just not marketed to them any more, so they don't really know it exists. I wonder if it's about the industry reducing costs - if the music is all made on computers, then the only performer you need to pay for is the vocalist, and if you auto-tune them, then they don't even need to be a competent one.

S.P.

They'll never be tons of teens headed into the city to see real rock bands at The Filmore East for $3.00.

Blue

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Why would they stay. I can't think of a reason.

Blue

About ten years ago a bunch of young people walked into a blues rock gig I was playing. Our setlist was all the usual cliched Blues standbys rocked up a bit but these kids seemed to be enjoying themselves. Emboldened by their positive reaction and hoping we might have converted them to the old stuff I approached them afterwards. 'Hope you liked it,' says I.

'Yes,' says their spokesman. 'You sound just like The White Stripes'.

Oh.

Edited by skankdelvar

I haven't read the whole thread - sorry if anybody else has already mentioned this.

What killed RnR? I'll tell you...facking 12 bar blues, that's what.

As a Bass player and Music Lover, I can't find anything more abhorrent than having to listen to, never mind having to play, this mindless cack which is probably what most of us were first forced to learn to play.

Roll over Beethoven? Roll over all of 'em, with a bloody steam roller.

Give me strength...and a sharp knife to slash my wrists with!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I know loads of younger guys who love Zep, Bad Company, The Who etc. 

I don't. Not even one. 

I know loads of 

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I haven't read the whole thread - sorry if anybody else has already mentioned this.

What killed RnR? I'll tell you...facking 12 bar blues, that's what.

If it weren't for 12 bar blues there would never have been any rock and roll or rock music.

Blue

The damn Beatles sure didn't help. I'll take one Brand New Cadillac over their entire oeuvre, thanks. And Macca 'love the queen, me, thumbs aloft, whacky'  can fack right off. He's almost as bad as Cliff (though he lacks that hilarious bitterness Cliff has at not being playlisted for children between 13 and 25).

There 's always great music around, you just have to know where to look and make the effort. The only thing sadder than an old fart like me (over forty - the age at which, as Gregg Davies memorably noted, " you walk past a night club, and nobody offers you a flyer") whining about 'no good music since the seventies, blah blah' is when you see fifteen year old kids saying it and worshipping zeppelin and such. 

Rock, in its broadest sense, has disappeared from the mainstream in the UK thanks to a few things. One, small island (and Brexit will make Europe less easily accessible too), so fewer places to play. Two, legislation in the Blair era made it more expensive to have a full band in, so most venues opted for synth duos and DJs ( I believe the post 2010 shower changed the rules for smaller, sub 400 venues, but too late). And three, Spotify has taught the kids music is not to be valued enough to pay for it. Great stuff is still out there though, all you have to do is find it. 

• Like 1

I attended a show by a popular band, at the end of which the front man implored the audience to keep supporting the music or it would die. It ticked me off then, and it still does now, because it is not the audiences responsibility to support, it is the artists responsibility to inspire. 

What makes music die? Poor artistry by those who have the attention of an audience.   

• Like 2

In the old days radio would dictate what you should be listening to for 'free'.

Spotify offers bands great and smol a platform to be heard, and is actively promoting shows in your area by the band's you're listening to. Also links to band merch and hardware are now on Spotify. 

Now if Spotify would distribute my monthly fee just between the artists I've played that month, that would be great.

I suspect people who think rock is dead have lost touch. Give a quality performance in both music and show and people age 16 to 60 will appreciate!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason A Silva said:

What makes music die? Poor artistry by those who have the attention of an audience.   

Ah yes, the poison from within.

I think that at the grassroots pub band level there are too many lack-lustre, mediocre  bands who have no chance of attracting new listeners. I've stood supporting too many of them just through loyalty (and played in some to be honest).

Also, visual image has always been crucial in rock. For physical and sartorial reasons the majority of pub bands look terrible.

About a year ago, whilst at the bar during the break I overheard a youngster,

"that guitarist, he looks like the old **** next door to me who cuts the grass when I'm trying to have a lie-in'.

A sort of epitaph.

• Like 4

Spotify and the others' remuneration policy is s big part of the problem. When I buy a cd, even from Amazon, say, the artist gets for that one-time purchase the equivalent of tens of thousands of listens.... Also, Spotify has tsught kids music is of no value. They don't even pay ten bucks a month for it: the money is to get rid of the annoyance of ads. It's not an equivalent of the radio. I used to use radio to discover new stuff then buy. Kids use spotify to avoid the need to buy. With fewer and fewer live venues available, how else are artists to make a living? And no, it's not a quality thing. Getting digned and being a success in the music biz is far more luck than anything else.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Ah yes, the poison from within.

I think that at the grassroots pub band level there are too many lack-lustre, mediocre  bands who have no chance of attracting new listeners. I've stood supporting too many of them just through loyalty (and played in some to be honest).

Also, visual image has always been crucial in rock. For physical and sartorial reasons the majority of pub bands look terrible.

About a year ago, whilst at the bar during the break I overheard a youngster,

"that guitarist, he looks like the old **** next door to me who cuts the grass when I'm trying to have a lie-in'.

A sort of epitaph.

my thoughts exactly, there's not enough good bands to go round, so people stop going to weekly music venues just to check out the band, I've seen some shockers at a local pub near to me, plus some landlords think it's ok to do things on the cheap by booking acts singing to backing tapes

• Thanks 1

The bit about radio stations is spot on. I remember quite a few great radio stations that played a wide variety of styles of music on the one show. The DJ made his choics. Then the financial side took over and stations were paid by who-ever to play certain bands. The stations made more money and the DJ's were forced to play a list based on who paid the most. At that point we lose a valuable radio station to corporate greed. I think one station had no involvement from DJ's it was back to back music. The music was the star of the show. These days the DJ's think they are the stars of the show and its all about them. 

If one station took the leap of faith and played proper music that people want to hear rather than DJ's rabbitting on about a load o c**p they will get a huge listening audience. 

Doesn't matter what station you play these days its the same songs that get played on them all.

Dave

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

For physical and sartorial reasons the majority of pub bands look terrible.

Aye...

Our band decided before our 1st gig that we'd all wear similar clothes (basically the urban commando look).

I turned up with camos, boots, the lot. Suitable, I felt, for a protest sort of band with songs like "Fight The System"

Singer wore a Stussy t shirt with jeans (he said "but I like them!" with no irony at all in wearing a corporate logo!), drummer wore shorts and metal band tshirt stretched over his belly - his excuse was that he'd be too hot in anything else; I pointed out that camo shorts are available, and that I'd specifically gone and bought stuff according to what we'd decided!

So no unified band image - we were just another band on the circuit looking the same as all the others. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

The bit about radio stations is spot on. I remember quite a few great radio stations that played a wide variety of styles of music on the one show. The DJ made his choics. Then the financial side took over and stations were paid by who-ever to play certain bands. The stations made more money and the DJ's were forced to play a list based on who paid the most. At that point we lose a valuable radio station to corporate greed. I think one station had no involvement from DJ's it was back to back music. The music was the star of the show. These days the DJ's think they are the stars of the show and its all about them. 

If one station took the leap of faith and played proper music that people want to hear rather than DJ's rabbitting on about a load o c**p they will get a huge listening audience. 

Doesn't matter what station you play these days its the same songs that get played on them all.

Dave

You haven't heard 6 Music then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

there's loads of variety on DAB stations, lots of Rock, but a surprising number of people don't know about it or don't care,  and reception in cars is patchy,  but on FM it's all the same sort of middle of the road modernish chart stuff, Capital, Heart etc

Not even sure if my car radio has digital reception ? I never play the radio in the car these days because its all stupid irrelevant pop C**p.

Maybe i should lok into it a bit more 

Dave