Why become a member? ×

Can you objectively measure technicality?

Akio Dāku

1 hour ago, Akio Dāku said:

If a piece takes a higher level of competence than a bassist with an equivalent facility to the mode average could achieve, then does that piece meet the requirements to be deemed technical?   

Useful post on that above from @Leonard Smalls

1 hour ago, Akio Dāku said:

Imagine a spectrum of ability that (for sake of discussion) goes; crap, decent, competent, technical,  virtuosic.  

What comes before crap? Asking for a friend :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Well, Matt Freeman is just playing very fast 16ths, however they are amazingly accurate. As for John Myung, he's technically amazing as he tends to use 4 fingers. I tried that about 10 years ago, but realised I'd never have to play fast enough that I couldn't manage with 3. However, Dream Theatre are just sooooo awful. They should just wear capes and form a yes tribute band.

For me the Rancid clip shows the true spirit of rock n' roll - that it should be fun and a bit wild - and that bass solo is pure adrenalin. But for me DT epitomise 'so what' about advanced technical proficiency in rock. There's no doubting John Myung's impressive skills on the bass but at the think of that clip I just thought.. 'meh' .

Edited by Barking Spiders