Why become a member? ×

recommend me a 6 string bass under £1000

tall_martin

1 hour ago, tall_martin said:

Thanks for all that

Some ace options there 🙂

Is there a particular reason basses get passed round bass chat? The shuker looks a lovely thing, the multiple owners makes me wonder if there is something up with it?

Because Basschat owners are like Angelica Scuyler in Hamilton - they’ll never be satisfied.

On a serious note, it means bargains can be had. I could never have afforded my Sadowsky or my two Dingwalls brand new, but benefitted from the fickleness of others on here. 

4 hours ago, tall_martin said:

Thanks for all that

Some ace options there 🙂

Is there a particular reason basses get passed round bass chat? The shuker looks a lovely thing, the multiple owners makes me wonder if there is something up with it?

There is nothing wrong about this Shuker, but I wanted another bass here on BC, so I traded it for the one I wanted at the time. And like other BC'ers I love to try new basses. So you are at the right place for the right deal.

The sound of that Shuker is very growly on the bridge pickup and really deep à la P-Bass on the neck pickup. Furthermore you have the best EMG 3 bands preamp in it (Haz Labs period).

If you want a comparison, it's like a high end British car, it looks very common, but take the commands and you'll understand what (close to) perfection means.

I should have kept it, but I'm addicted to Leduc 6 strings basses and especially fretless ones.

2 hours ago, therealting said:

Because Basschat owners are like Angelica Scuyler in Hamilton - they’ll never be satisfied.

On a serious note, it means bargains can be had. I could never have afforded my Sadowsky or my two Dingwalls brand new, but benefitted from the fickleness of others on here. 

im the previous owner of the shuker and i can absolutly reccomend it ! is a great bass  ive sold it as like Tony(Hellzero ) im on fretless land now .

I would take it back anyday but unfortunatly only looking for fretless bass . 

The neck on the shuker is to die for , super fast and easy to play also the Hazlab preamp (after owning the shuker ) has become my preamp of preference !

Ill give the bass 10 out of 10 . If i was on the market for a 6 string fretted i would buy it right back . 

might have a shitty recording somewhere . just drop me your email address and ill send it to you 

There has been some great recommendations here. What I would say make sure you are comfortable with wide space if you decide to go that way. I never thought it would matter but I do have a wide spaced bass which I do gig very regularly, I rotate all my basses, but it did feel very different which never thought I would say. So you might find it uncomfortable. But you might love it.

19 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

IMHO, Yam or Ibanez. I Don't know enough about Yam but I know that newest SR5005 model is really an outstanding bass, with quality electronics (Nordstrand), excellent woods, a good recipie to me. I had an SR405 for almost 20 years, never had one problem with it. The only problem nowadays is that low cost models are like stinky poo. You have to buy premium/prestige models.

I'm pretty sure the Ibby Prestige series (including the 5005) are loaded with the more civilised custom Bart pups rather than Nordstrand pups (which I love having in my SR Premiums). 

Been very happy with my Ibby SR1206 (which being Premium has the Nordstrand big singles). I think there was one in the FS a little while back too, which might be worth checking out. 

Edited by Al Krow

On 26/09/2018 at 13:53, FinnDave said:

That one sold today. I know this for a fact as I was the buyer, and the bass is just a few feet away from me in my house as I type!

That SR1006 you've just got looks gorgeous, particularly the neck through. Congrats!

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That SR1006 you've just got looks gorgeous, particularly the neck through. Congrats!

Thank you! I've not played it much, new set of LaBella flats arrived yesterday but won't have time to change them until after the weekend. 

I've cheekily set mine up strung E to E so that it is effectively a six string guitar but an octave lower. Add a Digitech Mosaic pedal and you get a lush octave down 12-string guitar sound. Home noodling only so far, but Mrs Krow absolutely loves it! :)  

On 26/09/2018 at 17:09, tall_martin said:

There is a BTB on here for £700, any opinions on it? Is the neck likely to feel like the  ibanez SR306-EB I tried?

Neck dimensions for the sr

Scale :864mm/34"

: Width54mm at NUT

b : Width83mm at 24F

c : Thickness19.5mm at 1F

d : Thickness21.5mm at 12F

Radius :400mmR

This simple answer in no - the SR series and BTB series feel very different. The necks on the SRs are slimmer with narrower string spacing, the BTBs are broader and flatter with a wider string spacing. SRs are usually bolt-on while BTBs are usually neck-through. Body shape is more rounded on the SRs while BTBs are more “slab style” with more angular edges. SRs will generally weigh less than the equivalent BTB.

So overall a very different playing experience for each!

Guest Marcoelwray

I've never really liked Yamaha, I don't know why, though...

But there's so many people playing TRB 6 (professionals too) that I wonder... I should try one once.

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

I've never really liked Yamaha, I don't know why, though...

But there's so many people playing TRB 6 (professionals too) that I wonder... I should try one once.

Well if everyone liked Yamaha that would lead to shortage of Yammy basses and the prices going up, so I go guess we should be grateful when people don't! 😄 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Unfortunately I've had some unexpected bills. It turns out the price of getting a door mechanism sorted is approximately the price of a bass!

In the meantime I'm going to use an octaver pedal with my guitar. Not perfect, but a different way to test if an extended range bass will get me playing more :-)