Why become a member? ×

recommend me a 6 string bass under £1000

tall_martin

Hi,

My bass playing has been languishing since leaving my band a couple of years back.

I've been thinking about buying a 6 string bass as a kick start to get me practicing again, and once I'm up to speed looking for a new band.

Any suggestions as to where to start with 6 strings? I've tried an ibanez SR306-EB which is the only 6 string I could find in Nottingham city center. It was fine and sounded OK. Neck was lovely.

I would prefer 2nd hand as I'm not convinced I'll keep a 6 string forever. 

Any suggestions? Start budget, start premium? Advice on necks or string spacing?

My current based are a g+l tribute, '79 music master and a yamaha rg from the late 90's. My guitar is an ibanez js.

Cheers

I bought my first six string about a month ago. I went for a new Ibanez 506, just ordered it on line and have been very pleased with it. Played 4 or 5 gigs with it, my only problem is that I have felt no inclination to play any of my four strings since it arrived! I even have a lovely Alembic just hanging around doing nothing now.

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

There is a Yamaha TRB6 first generation for sale on here for a grand or under at the moment. Not a six string comes close for that money. Imo

^ this.

String spacing is all down to personal preference. I have stumpy little fingers but I'm far more comfortable on my beaten up old Ibanez BTB sixer (string spacing 20mm) than on any of the narrower ones I've tried.

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

^ this.

String spacing is all down to personal preference. I have stumpy little fingers but I'm far more comfortable on my beaten up old Ibanez BTB sixer (string spacing 20mm) than on any of the narrower ones I've tried.

The Ibanez BTBs are great basses. HOWEVER, the trade off of that 20mm string spacing is that the fingerboard is incredibly wide as a result. I think you should definitely try before you buy, just to be sure the ergonomics work for you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That one sold today. I know this for a fact as I was the buyer, and the bass is just a few feet away from me in my house as I type!

You have scored big time, I had a 5 string version of it and was a great bass! Almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday, but already have 2 Ibanez Prestige six string basses so common sense prevailed. 

Hohner B Bass VI - yesterday, now and forevr... neck through, lovely wood OK electronics, lovely tone with the right strings and £250 on average. Come up on here about once a three  month.

Edited by lownote12

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm a bit wary of buying internationally, so I'm looking for something in the UK.

There is a BTB on here for £700, any opinions on it? Is the neck likely to feel like the  ibanez SR306-EB I tried?

Neck dimensions for the sr

Scale :864mm/34"

: Width54mm at NUT

b : Width83mm at 24F

c : Thickness19.5mm at 1F

d : Thickness21.5mm at 12F

Radius :400mmR

16 hours ago, FinnDave said:

That one sold today. I know this for a fact as I was the buyer, and the bass is just a few feet away from me in my house as I type!

That one went quick!! When I looked it still had the price rather than the usual "SOLD" they stick up when something is... um... sold :D

Four strings is my absolute limit these days, but that was a sweet looking bass, and the John East preamp did seem like an interesting addition over the usual Ibanez preamps which, from my experience, can be a bit "meh" at times.

24 minutes ago, anzoid said:

That one went quick!! When I looked it still had the price rather than the usual "SOLD" they stick up when something is... um... sold :D

Four strings is my absolute limit these days, but that was a sweet looking bass, and the John East preamp did seem like an interesting addition over the usual Ibanez preamps which, from my experience, can be a bit "meh" at times.

Yep, the East pre-amp is much better than the Ibanez one in my 506. When time & funds allow, I'll get one in that as well. The mid-range sweep is very impressive.

The listing is wrong about which pre-amp it is, though, it is not the U Retro, but its replacement, the uni pre, so its even better than the ad suggested!

The Bass Direct listing still says the bass is on hold for some bloke called Dave ;)

• Like 1

I have three six strings, a Ken Smith Design 6-string Jazz, a Yamaha TRB6 Mk I (upgraded with a Glockenklang pre) and a Yamaha RBX6JM (upgraded with a Schack pre). The Yamahas are fantastic instruments especially for the money. The first model TRB6 in particular is as good as pretty much anything out there in the same price bracket, but they are both great albeit very different beasts. The TRB6 has wide string spacing and shorter scale length (33 7/8”) and the RBX has narrow string spacing and longer scale length (I have it capoed at the first fret).

On 26/09/2018 at 06:54, bubinga5 said:

There is a Yamaha TRB6 first generation for sale on here for a grand or under at the moment. Not a six string comes close for that money. Imo

Absolutely spot on, the MIJ Yamaha TRB is still the best 6er I've played bar none and is the benchmark I judge others by, if wide spacing is for you then it should be the first bass you try.

Guest Marcoelwray

IMHO, Yam or Ibanez. I Don't know enough about Yam but I know that newest SR5005 model is really an outstanding bass, with quality electronics (Nordstrand), excellent woods, a good recipie to me. I had an SR405 for almost 20 years, never had one problem with it. The only problem nowadays is that low cost models are like stinky poo. You have to buy premium/prestige models.

1 hour ago, Marcoelwray said:

IMHO, Yam or Ibanez. I Don't know enough about Yam but I know that newest SR5005 model is really an outstanding bass, with quality electronics (Nordstrand), excellent woods, a good recipie to me. I had an SR405 for almost 20 years, never had one problem with it. The only problem nowadays is that low cost models are like stinky poo. You have to buy premium/prestige models.

My Ibanez  SR506 is a standard model and is surprisingly good. Compared to a Mexican Fender (and I have had plenty of Fenders!) it is ore than twice the guitar for a bit less money.