Why become a member? ×

NAD - Bugera BVV3000, not quite sure why....

Phil_T

I couldn't resist buying a Bugera BVV3000 last week when one popped on reverb for £240 delivered. It's totally impractical for what I need (home use mainly) but I love the Ampeg sound so I thought it was worth a go at that price. For not much more than the price of a good pedal to emulate the tone I've got (almost) the real thing. It arrived today and I've just given it a quick blast - first impressions are that it sounds great and is very loud but can be tamed just enough for home practice without killing the tone. It also weighs a tonne so I can't move it more than a couple of feet without needing a rest.

Only problem is that it works with a 4 ohm max load and I've only got an 8 ohm cab so I might have to use it very sparingly before I can source a more suitable cab. I'm slighter worried about how much louder a 2x10 or a 4x10 might be than be than my current 1x12 as they seem to be my only real options in 4 ohm. Anyway, minor details - I'm quite pleased with it.

IMG_0576.jpg

• Like 1

I think you will be ok with the 8 ohm cab. If it was the other way round it would be a problem: 8 ohms max load and your cab was 4 ohm.

Of course I could have the wrong end of the stick re your description. Someone with more sense will  be along shortly....

Nice amp, always fancied one of the Veyron models as a cheap back up.

The concensus amongst chaps over on the US forum is that the SVT can be run at 8 ohms but really shouldn't. This amp is basically a copy of the SVT so I'm applying that advice. I'll look around for a cheap 4 ohm cab to pair with it but it's far too tempting to play through it at the moment - it sounds ace!

I bought one a couple of years ago and it's a beautiful sounding amp. I am impressed with the quality feel of the controls and the infinium auto bias. Like you I don't have a gigging need for it, but I can guarantee that when you hook it up to a decent 4 ohm cab ( a single 12 won't do it justice IMO) you will be even more amazed at the depth and quality of sound of this amp. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

I get the impression that they were just too expensive to produce. There seems to have been a limited production run in 2012 then no more. Talkbass threads report that some units had terminal problems but others are still going strong both in home and regular gigging situations. 

If you never intend moving it out of your house I would recommend removing the 6550 valve retaining springs. They can scratch the glass surface of the valve leading to cracking and failure. I actually replaced them in mine with Ampeg retainers that only grip the valve base.

I think their purpose is to stop valves unseating themselves during transit, therefore not required if it's staying put. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardH said:

Why not get another 8 ohm 1x12 and run them in parallel to get a 4 ohm load - gives you a nice flexible rig then.

That is an option but my current cab is a Vanderkley and I'd want them to match so that's an outlay of around £550. I'm also a bit worried about how loud 2 x12 cabs would be in the house - it's on the verge on being too loud with one. I may just get a cheaper 1x12 and try to ignore the mis-match but I know my OCD would win eventually.

Ahhh - yes I was trying to see what the cab was in your pic and had just come to the conclusion it was a Vanderkley.

Tricky one - I doubt you'll want to sell the Vanderkley... so outlay is an issue. Since you'll not be moving the rig much, why not look out for people getting shot of old school Ashdown or Trace cabs that weigh a ton...

It's a 300 watt head and totally impractical for low volume neighbour friendly home practice IME. If you only put it through a single 12 you're not going to feel the humongous lows that it pushes out. At lowish volumes it doesn't really sound much different to a solid state head but as you turn up the 'heft' keeps on a coming. I bought a pair of Bergantino HD210s to sit mine on and the walls really shake when my neighbours are out. 

One day it's going to a gig in place of my 6lb head........one day.

• Like 1

Watch out for head/cab width hangover problems. A narrower cab could give stability issues and using a narrow cab on its side will fire at your ankles rather that our knees/backsides that we have grown accustomed to listening with.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a new Peavey 210TVX for a good price (must be last one in the country surely?) to replace the vanderkley. Only had it since yesterday but It sounds nice and clear - and very loud - so it looks like the vanderkley might be for sale. Not a bad rig for just over £400 all in.

IMG_0579.thumb.JPG.6e2e24c50e842b578b2bae865e2be2da.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

And the even better news is the Bugera can drive two of those 4 ohm Peaveys. 😉

Yep, quite frightening really when you hear how loud it is already with the master barely above 1. It is quite a heavy cab though which doesn't bother me as it's going to stay parked where it is but I wouldn't relish moving it about.

Edited by Phil_T

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these last year from the classified section, run it through an EBS classic 4x10.

The whole set up is so heavy it's probably only left the house 2-3 times in the year I've had it, but every time it does, I make sure I wear brown pants. 

Pure trouser flapping awesomeness! 

• 2 weeks later...

I had one for a while and thought it great, It compared very favourably with my fond memories of the ex Roger Glover Magnavox era SVT that I used for years. In fact it sounded a hell of a lot better than an SVT-VR that I paid 4 x as much for a few years ago.

I used it with a 4x12 Aguilar and it felt great. My only reservation was the - possibly undeserved- Bugera rep for reliability but I have to say I used it a dozen times or more and it always delivered for me.

PITA to lug around, though. I'm 60 you know.

Lovely looker, too... (The amp, that is)

Shug

• Like 1