Why become a member? ×

MK Jazz-P EUB, changing to a 5-string

Chris Hartgroves

I have been using an MK Jazz-P for (near) silent practice since I started using the bow (about 18 months ago). It works very well, real bridge, 'shoulders', neck heel, etc. It's also been handy on gigs with restricted space (old pubs with low ceilings) and outdoors in dodgy weather when I didn't want to expose my old double bass to the elements.

I've now changed my main instrument to a 5 string one, and need to follow suit with the EUB (and bass guitar).

Now my arco playing has developed somewhat, I feel I don't need all the physical cues the MK provides, so will probably go for a Steinberger CR5 (I used one many years ago when home space was very restricted and a DB just wasn't possible). The MK will become surplus to requirements. See http://www.contrabbassielettricimk.com/en/jazz.html for details. Mine's suffered a few dings and scrapes along the E string edge of the fingerboard, otherwise in good condition, and will go with a knee-rest I constructed so I can use it sitting on a stool, as that's how I play the DB.

You can only get the MKs by ordering from Mirko in Italy. Mine would cost about £2,100 delivered to the UK. I'll probably eBay it for £1,000, but would be happy to swap for a CR5. If you're interested I can lob some photos onto dropbox.

(For the bass guitar, I'll probably get a used G&L Tribute 2500; I had one of the US-made (not 'Tribute') ones, again many years ago, which I wish I'd been able to keep... hi-ho!)

9.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

• 2 months later...