Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on TC Electronics Rigs

Linus27

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Same here. Ive used MB heads for years, but ive always found they sound better and more lively with a pre amp in front of them. I do think they lack character, or at least one that i like. I doubt ill ever get rid of my MB F1 head, but having tried other heads during the time ive not been compelled to go back to MB except for the fact that i think it looks really cool.

Ive been looking in to the BH550 or BH800 head (also red, liek my F1) and i except ill get one at some point if i keep gigging. I love the smart EQ system. I had it on the Spectradrive and found for the first time i had a musical EQ rather than keeping it mostly flat on the MB heads. might be tempted to pick up a BH250 for non gig situations.

Then again, i have a Q/Strip so EQ isnt really something i need worry about on the head.

Thanks Dave for your thoughts. I knew you have used MB heads for a long time so wasn't quite expecting your reply to be of the same view of them as mine :) Didn't know you had a red F1 head as well. Mega jealous as I love F1 and Ferrari :) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Thanks Dave for your thoughts. I knew you have used MB heads for a long time so wasn't quite expecting your reply to be of the same view of them as mine :) Didn't know you had a red F1 head as well. Mega jealous as I love F1 and Ferrari :) 

No problem. Ive always thought this about MB. Really nice solid tone but more like a blank canvas. I cant remember ever not using something like a BDDI in front of it, no matter what bass im using at the time. ive used various cabs over the years with them, and had a LMII, LMII, SA450 and the F1. All sounded pretty much the same to me, although obviously the F1 is the odd one out. I tend to use my GK MB800 more these days, and there is a world of difference, but i do find the BH heads very, very tempting.

I got the F1 off Clarky years ago. I was supposed to be trading it for my Streamliner 600, but ended up just buying the F1 as i couldn't decide what i wanted.

Sun-19-Jun-5405.jpg

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

No problem. Ive always thought this about MB. Really nice solid tone but more like a blank canvas. I cant remember ever not using something like a BDDI in front of it, no matter what bass im using at the time. ive used various cabs over the years with them, and had a LMII, LMII, SA450 and the F1. All sounded pretty much the same to me, although obviously the F1 is the odd one out. I tend to use my GK MB800 more these days, and there is a world of difference, but i do find the BH heads very, very tempting.

I got the F1 off Clarky years ago. I was supposed to be trading it for my Streamliner 600, but ended up just buying the F1 as i couldn't decide what i wanted.

Sun-19-Jun-5405.jpg

Blank canvas is another great way to describe the MB heads. I've not tried GK gear although I do hear good things about them. Really like the look of the TC RH750 as it has the Spectracomp feature.

Damn, that is so sexy. Let me know if you decide to sell :)

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Blank canvas is another great way to describe the MB heads. I've not tried GK gear although I do hear good things about them. Really like the look of the TC RH750 as it has the Spectracomp feature.

You won’t be disappointed with the RH750. The 3 channels to store different settings works for me! Active bass setting, passive bass setting... flat to adjust if needed to the venue/ practice. 👍🏻

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Yeah, the spectracomp feature is what is making getting a BH very, very temping. Ive taken mine off my board but ive often wondered what it would sound like at the other end (amp end) of the chain.

I doubt ill ever sell it but the BH heads will get you close 🙂

• Like 1

I've had TC classic 450 for some time and still enjoy it.  Enough useful features to get me by.  Can be a bit bassy or boomy in some venues but easy to roll it off.  Paired with a BF Two 10 and im ready to go.  I'd like to try a 4x10 but my budget back and boot won't support that upgrade. Good luck with your search. 

I have a TC450 and like it (apart from the volume knob falling off!). I used to go through a 4x10, and the sound was great. I now go through 2x 112s, which is almost as good, but I had to drop the 4x10 as I had a knee op and it was just too much of a pain to get around, the 112s are fantastic weight and easy to carry

When I down-sized for my dotage I tried several rigs and ended up happily with a TCE BG250-208 and eventually a BH250 into a BF One10. So although small footprint, light-weight, built in tuner and Spectracomp were all the features I looked at first, I've found the EQ to be very effective and the Spectracomp perfect at about 9 o'clock. I can't see me buying another amp in my life-time.

TCE seem to represent very good value for money and definitely worth considering.

Edited by grandad
grammar

21 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Just sounds to me like an EQ pedal is chasing the tail, yep you could bump the frequency, and it may remove the sheet from in front of the speakers, but there will still be a massive blanket and duvet sitting over the rest of the rig you have to fight through.

Meant to say I thought this was a really good analogy, making the point that an EQ pedal can effectively mask the symptoms without curing the disease.

• Like 1

I had a MarkBass LM + 1x15 for a while which I really liked the sound of practicing at home etc. It had loads of bottom end and really I wanted to like it but I just felt it got lost in the mix when playing with the band and I was never really happy with it. When the TC RH450 came out I bought that and an RS210. 

For me I find the TC gives a tight, well defined sound that sits nicely in the mix. Of course its all personal taste but for me the TC sounds better in a band situation and even after 8 years I've no desire to move to something else.

Certainly a lot of respect for the MarkBass gear here but even more love for the TC gear. I think I have decided on the RH750 head as I just loved the Spectracomp and the other features but not sure on what cab to get yet. Maybe the sensible thing is to change my MarkBass cabs over first and see how the LM3 fairs and if still disappointing then change the head over to the RH750.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

The RH750 is the dogs i had one before my blacksmith and would not have changed if it was not for someone wanting to just swap for my RH750.

The RS410 is a great cab to pair it with but if weights an issue i would go RS210 or 2 of those if you have the funds.

Welcome to the TC club.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

...I think I have decided on the RH750 head as I just loved the Spectracomp and the other features but not sure on what cab to get yet. Maybe the sensible thing is to change my MarkBass cabs over first and see how the LM3 fairs and if still disappointing then change the head over to the RH750.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

47 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Certainly a lot of respect for the MarkBass gear here but even more love for the TC gear.

You'd be getting a bunch more Markbass fanboys crawling out the woodwork if your thread had been titled "TC rigs beat the cra*p out of Markbass rigs don't they?" 🤣)

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Certainly a lot of respect for the MarkBass gear here but even more love for the TC gear. I think I have decided on the RH750 head as I just loved the Spectracomp and the other features but not sure on what cab to get yet. Maybe the sensible thing is to change my MarkBass cabs over first and see how the LM3 fairs and if still disappointing then change the head over to the RH750.

Good idea. Ive had two MB cabs over the years, and I didn't find either worked well for me. They both lacked punch and presence, at least in a band context. Changing the cab first will get you a more noticeable tonal change IMO. Having rehearsed in various studios over the past 18 months, and mostly using whatever cabs they have there i noticed the cabs had a huge impact on my tone, no matter if i used the F1 or GK MB800.