Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Joe Dart Signature Model

BassApprentice

Final design looks alright, not exactly blown away by it but its nice enough.

Can't help but feel you could probably get a similar tone if you just stuck some flatwounds on a stingray though. 
£1500 is a bit much for me, and where the heck is the tone control?

5 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

A fun video and some v nice sounds there!! Apparently ships with Slinky Flatwounds (ie Cobalt Flats). So the first 50 had special neck plates - guessing you can still order them in March. Nice flame maple on that neck. Looks great in the pictures here. 

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/03/01/ernie-ball-music-man-and-vulfpeck-announce-joe-dart-signature-bass/

Edited by drTStingray
Added link

On 02/03/2019 at 09:51, dannybuoy said:

In Joe Dart's fingertips!

Absolutely!

I love the simplicity of it. I'm not much of a knob twiddler so less is more.

I want to like this bass but the cream pups and white volume knob kill it for me. Looks like a kid stuck them on. A quirky bass for a quirky band I suppose. Not for me though.

On 01/03/2019 at 19:58, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. This looks like a kid made a Musicman copy for gcse woodwork.

Love Vulfpeck - but not in the slightest swayed by this.

if one of the cheap Sam ash MM copies (Carlos Robelli) turns up on eBay - I could be swayed.6C5E68C0-DCDD-4C69-97BA-5BA4F4CD86C1.thumb.jpeg.d6f5086fb5c0979f310e3af843b04a40.jpeg

Video with what looks one those Robelli basses being used by Mr Dart. Thanks to @chris_b for originally posting this video in another thread.

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Video with what looks one those Robelli basses being used by Mr Dart. Thanks to @chris_b for originally posting this video in another thread.

Yeah, it belongs to one of the guitarists in vulfpeck, along with a sonic blue classic vibe P.

there was one on eBay for about £110 last year.

I like the simplicity of only having one control knob, but does anyone actually play with volume below max? We aren't guitarists trying to drive a preamp for solos. I think volume is the only control on my bass that I never touch. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I was chatting with Joe Dart over a beer after a recent Vulf show and he said these basses were going to go on general sale in the Fall - which I guess is American for Autumn? :) He also said that he put some electrical tape over the pole pieces of the pickup as he plays super hard and got a little bit of noise from his fingers tapping on the pickup. I thought it looked like felt actually, neither would affect the magnetic pull anyway. Going by the recent Vulf live videos, he has really worked out his sound and it’s like a Jazz bass bridge pickup solo’ed on steroids! Fat, punchy and warm. Very tempted!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 05/09/2019 at 20:53, acidbass said:

I was chatting with Joe Dart over a beer after a recent Vulf show and he said these basses were going to go on general sale in the Fall - which I guess is American for Autumn? :) He also said that he put some electrical tape over the pole pieces of the pickup as he plays super hard and got a little bit of noise from his fingers tapping on the pickup. I thought it looked like felt actually, neither would affect the magnetic pull anyway. Going by the recent Vulf live videos, he has really worked out his sound and it’s like a Jazz bass bridge pickup solo’ed on steroids! Fat, punchy and warm. Very tempted!

Every stingray I’ve owned has been sold because the pole pieces dig in my fingers...

Want to get another late 80’s/Early 90’s and get a covered pickup.

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Every stingray I’ve owned has been sold because the pole pieces dig in my fingers...

Want to get another late 80’s/Early 90’s and get a covered pickup.

The early 90s ones have sharp edges to the pick up poles but from about 96 on have rounded edges - the Stingray Specials have pole pieces which are completely flush with the cover. 

Just lowering the pick up a little tends to avoid contact and clicks as a result (I developed this issue on my SR5 - very noticeable on solos and resulted from me resting my thumb on the B string at the pick up - lowering the pick up marginally resolved the issue). 

Putting tape over the poles also works. 

Edited by drTStingray

45 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Pretty sure this is exactly what Dart does with his bass since his right hand technique is pretty full on most of the time. 

I have similar issues, I get quite percussive with my plucking hand and have real problems with pole click on MM style basses.

Never been into musicman basses, only ever played a stingray and the neck was too thick of my weak old wrists. Having watched vulfpeck at Madison square garden over Christmas, the GAS was inevitable.

I used to prefer his jazz tone and thought the musicman was a step backwards. Changed my mind now, his jazz sounds so weak compared to the sterling.