Why become a member? ×

Active floor monitor advice

Didg

I'm after an active floor monitor to use in a 3 piece blues/rock band for vocals only.

We play mostly pubs and I wouldn't say we are particularly loud, although Hendrix, Zep etc does need a fair bit of volume.

I've been looking at the TC Helicon Voice Solo , but not sure if it will be man enough. Also the Alto Tourmax SMX 112A, my first thought was that I would prefer something smaller.

I've not heard either yet. Any recommendations?

Used the Behringer and it's original relative the Mackie SRM150. Both work well, although you do need them quite close due to them being fairly directional as you would expect. Haven't tried this , but there's another copycat model for £99.99 here -https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-SZS-P5MA-150W-5-Active-Personal-PA-Monitor/1M2N?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=75263d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=492780986292&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfSpzfzT3QIVAdiyCh1juginEAQYASABEgJkuPD_BwE

If you can manage the extra size/weight, I'd personally go for the Wharfedale that jacko is selling above - great for the dosh and will always come in handy should you need a bit of extra something else in the mix that the smaller options will struggle with.

If it is for just your own monitoring the Behringer B205D is a really good bet. I had the chance to compare it with the Mackie and there was little if any difference. I 'upgraded' to the TC Voice Solo ad wish I'd stuck to the Behringer. Without a band around yout the TC sounds much better but in a band situation the Behringer gives no real highs or lows just lots of mids so it cuts through and gives few feedback problems unlike the TC which sounds brilliant but feeds back far too easily.

I've used the Behringer F1320D which sound great. but I've upgraded to the RCF 310 mk3 which Thomann are selling cheap. I've also used the Wharfedale Titans and the EVP's are my main PA speakers. That EVP looks a great buy for an active speaker. The advantage of a 'proper' floor monitor is that the rest of the band will get more vocals, if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Our drummer needs loads of bass and BD in his monitor and bought an ALTO ts312. It is really amazing and more than gets the job done. We’ve also used it as a stand-alone PA speaker for an acoustic show. Anything from that Alto TS3 range would do the trick - the  308 is light, powerful and well priced. Give one a try! Not the controls of the Tc helicon but cheaper and very adaptable.

The TC Voicesolos are fantastic and will do the business for you guys. They’re so good I have two! Very light and portable too. I’ve run open night mics off a couple of them and they more than punch above their weight - especially if, as you say, they’ll only be for vocals.

5 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

If it is for just your own monitoring the Behringer B205D is a really good bet. I had the chance to compare it with the Mackie and there was little if any difference. I 'upgraded' to the TC Voice Solo ad wish I'd stuck to the Behringer. Without a band around yout the TC sounds much better but in a band situation the Behringer gives no real highs or lows just lots of mids so it cuts through and gives few feedback problems unlike the TC which sounds brilliant but feeds back far too easily.

I've used the Behringer F1320D which sound great. but I've upgraded to the RCF 310 mk3 which Thomann are selling cheap. I've also used the Wharfedale Titans and the EVP's are my main PA speakers. That EVP looks a great buy for an active speaker. The advantage of a 'proper' floor monitor is that the rest of the band will get more vocals, if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Blimey Phil, I use I 310Art and its way too puny for me, Im thinking of upgrading to the 315mk 4, think I need new ears! ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Blimey Phil, I use I 310Art and its way too puny for me, Im thinking of upgrading to the 315mk 4, think I need new ears! ;)

Hey Steve, I think you do need new ears, or if not you soon will. Seriously as a friend you need to think about this. The 310's claim 127dB @ 1metre, that's in the over inflated peak values that PA cabs usually use but they will still consistently produce levels of around 120dB+.

These are the WHO figures for what sort of exposure is 'safe' ie unlikely to cause permanent damage to your hearing. 'Normal' levels for a rock band are around 100dB for everyone except the drummer. People here won't know that I know your band, an excitingly loud three piece rock band with a full blooded, head down, showman lead guitarist. I know you've had trouble blowing speakers in the past too. You seriously need to consider using in ears. I don't play at anything like your volumes and I thought I was invulnerable but I now have tinnitus and struggle to follow conversations in noisy environments. Something is wrong if you can't hear those 310's flat out they will cause permanent damage in (checks chart below) ….7secs.

Maximum Recommended Noise Dose
Exposure Levels

Noise Level (dBA) Maximum Exposure Time per 24 Hours
85 8 hours
88 4 hours
91 2 hours
94 1 hour
97 30 minutes
100 15 minutes
103 7.5 minutes
106 3.7 minutes
109 112 seconds
112 56 seconds
115 28 seconds
118 14 seconds
121 7 seconds
124 3 seconds
127 1 second
130–140 less than 1 second
140 NO EXPOSURE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Hey Steve, I think you do need new ears, or if not you soon will. Seriously as a friend you need to think about this. The 310's claim 127dB @ 1metre, that's in the over inflated peak values that PA cabs usually use but they will still consistently produce levels of around 120dB+.

These are the WHO figures for what sort of exposure is 'safe' ie unlikely to cause permanent damage to your hearing. 'Normal' levels for a rock band are around 100dB for everyone except the drummer. People here won't know that I know your band, an excitingly loud three piece rock band with a full blooded, head down, showman lead guitarist. I know you've had trouble blowing speakers in the past too. You seriously need to consider using in ears. I don't play at anything like your volumes and I thought I was invulnerable but I now have tinnitus and struggle to follow conversations in noisy environments. Something is wrong if you can't hear those 310's flat out they will cause permanent damage in (checks chart below) ….7secs.

Maximum Recommended Noise Dose
Exposure Levels

Noise Level (dBA) Maximum Exposure Time per 24 Hours
85 8 hours
88 4 hours
91 2 hours
94 1 hour
97 30 minutes
100 15 minutes
103 7.5 minutes
106 3.7 minutes
109 112 seconds
112 56 seconds
115 28 seconds
118 14 seconds
121 7 seconds
124 3 seconds
127 1 second
130–140 less than 1 second
140 NO EXPOSURE

Interesting that it’s 2 hours max exposure for 90db, that’s our set length and that’s the level one of the landlords measures us by, but yeah I was seriously thinking about going back to IME’s, more for clarity than anything else, I still struggle to hear my bass clearly even with the ampeg rig behind me, having only one good working ear is a risk too far I know to risk loosing

• Like 1