Why become a member? ×

The Art of Drumming - Sky Arts

Steve Browning

As a former drummer myself, I have been enjoying the series so far.  Interesting choice of guests too.

Was it just me or did the guy with 6 pedals struggle to keep the time constant and start to slow once he started playing everything?  I'm sure he's an amazingly gifted technician, but that is what it sounded like to me.

In the first episode, it was odd they glossed over Motown and Al Jackson at Stax by just playing the types of feel without naming actual the drummers, but loved watching Jabo playing Clyde's funk - RIP to both of them.  

Lets see what the last two episodes bring....

1 minute ago, Huge Hands said:

...did the guy with 6 pedals struggle to keep the time constant and start to slow once he started playing everything?

That's what I thought. Interesting from a technical point of view, but give me a drummer who can play inventively and in time using just a kick, a snare and a hi-hat. Maybe ONE cymbal too, if he's pushing the boat out. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else watch the whole 4 episodes?

In the last one, they did a list of the "Top 20 Drummer's Drummers" - basically the top ones mentioned by the contributors.  They are below.  Discuss!

Note before you get angry, even the program (Steve White) said it wasn't the definitive list, it was just theirs, so don't take it too seriously.  No surprises with most choices, but I just thought it would be good to hear people's thoughts.  Like they said, if it inspires someone to go check someone out, it's worth it. 

1. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

3. Hal Blaine

4. Ringo Starr

5. Gene Krupa

6. Dave Grohl

7. Louie Bellson

8. Bill Ward

9. Billy Cobham

10. Ian Paice

11. Neil Peart

12. Earl Palmer

13. Ginger Baker

14. Steve Gadd

15. Cindy Blackman 

16. Dave Daddy Kane (didn't get mentioned in all 4 episodes until the list)

17. Carlton Barrett

18. Jeff Pocaro

19. Clyde Stubblefield

20. Keith Moon

Personally, and I am by no means an expert nor right, I was surprised they had Jeff Pocaro and not Bernard Purdie, as he just went further with BP's idea?   Also, with Cindy Blackman, it felt like they had put her in because they felt they had to include a female?  I admit she is good (and most likely much better than I ever was), but top 20 ever? 

Some of my personal idols that didn't make the series (not necessarily the list) were Mitch Mitchell (surprisingly barely mentioned at all) the Motown drummers, Al Jackson Jr (Stax), Greg Errico and UK drummer Pete Ray Biggin. 

I did love hearing Jabo Starks humbly praising Clyde Stubblefield as though he was nothing in comparison! 

I also have renewed love for Ian Paice, both his drumming and his personality after watching this series.

...and no doubt the most inflammatory bit for some - I totally agree with Ringo's inclusion - he was a massive influence on me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

In the last one, they did a list of the "Top 20 Drummer's Drummers" - basically the top ones mentioned by the contributors.  They are below.  Discuss!

Note before you get angry, even the program (Steve White) said it wasn't the definitive list, it was just theirs, so don't take it too seriously.  No surprises with most choices, but I just thought it would be good to hear people's thoughts.  Like they said, if it inspires someone to go check someone out, it's worth it. 

1. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

3. Hal Blaine

4. Ringo Starr

5. Gene Krupa

6. Dave Grohl

7. Louie Bellson

8. Bill Ward

9. Billy Cobham

10. Ian Paice

11. Neil Peart

12. Earl Palmer

13. Ginger Baker

14. Steve Gadd

15. Cindy Blackman 

16. Dave Daddy Kane (didn't get mentioned in all 4 episodes until the list)

17. Carlton Barrett

18. Jeff Pocaro

19. Clyde Stubblefield

20. Keith Moon

Personally, and I am by no means an expert nor right, I was surprised they had Jeff Pocaro and not Bernard Purdie, as he just went further with BP's idea?   Also, with Cindy Blackman, it felt like they had put her in because they felt they had to include a female?  I admit she is good (and most likely much better than I ever was), but top 20 ever? 

Some of my personal idols that didn't make the series (not necessarily the list) were Mitch Mitchell (surprisingly barely mentioned at all) the Motown drummers, Al Jackson Jr (Stax), Greg Errico and UK drummer Pete Ray Biggin. 

I did love hearing Jabo Starks humbly praising Clyde Stubblefield as though he was nothing in comparison! 

I also have renewed love for Ian Paice, both his drumming and his personality after watching this series.

...and no doubt the most inflammatory bit for some - I totally agree with Ringo's inclusion - he was a massive influence on me.

I watched all four episodes and really enjoyed the series. Apart from Gene Krupa none of my favourite drummers were included but that’s no surprise as most of the drummers I love come from punk and new wave. I’m not surprised he wasn’t on the final list but the exclusion of Bill Bruford from the whole series was a surprise.

I'm also fairly sure that in the first episode, when they used a clip of James Brown in his Bootsy period and very artistically split the screen/graphics to show/name Jabo and Clyde, it wasn't actually Clyde in the clip.

It's been bugging me that, I'm sure the internet would provide the answer... 

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Any list of 'best' drummers needs to have Dave Mattacks, Steve Gadd and Nigel Olssen in it. Just sayin'. :)

Yes!  Nigel Olssen!  Forgot about him too!  I have to admit I just had to Google Dave Mattacks, so maybe these lists are doing their job!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Yes!  Nigel Olssen!  Forgot about him too!  I have to admit I just had to Google Dave Mattacks, so maybe these lists are doing their job!

I have had the great pleasure of playing with Dave Mattacks. If you are in West Sussex he occasionally surfaces around Worthing playing with Bob Brookes and Miller Anderson.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I haven't watched all of the programmes yet, but thanks for the spoiler.  Really appreciate that.  Did you know that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad?

Anyhow, hands up, how many people read that list and haven't heard of half of them?  No Mike Portnoy?  Where's Peter Criss?  ;)

Edited by NancyJohnson

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I haven't watched all of the programmes yet, but thanks for the spoiler.  Really appreciate that.  Did you know th

at Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad?

Sorry NJ, I did wait nearly a week for this reason.  I can't keep everyone happy 😉 

Just now, Huge Hands said:

Dave Grohl is on the list.  Dave Weckl did partake in the program - his Buddy Rich impersonation (playing, not personally) was very impressive. 

Ah so that was a rank of people on the prog? Well either way I think Weckl should be there! I think he's got more drum skills than Grohl has in his little finger but I suppose it's partly taking into account album sales etc?

Also should have Harvey Mason, JR Robinson.. Vinnie Colaiuta..

I really never saw the fascination with Buddy Rich.

From what was, up to that point, a good series, I felt this was a lame episode, merely done as filler. However, there were some little nuggets of information that were interesting, but not nearly enough. I’m hoping for a return to form tonight (there is another one isn’t there?).

For my own tastes, I would’ve liked to have seen Manu Katché, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland and Steve Jordan in the list, but that’s just me.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ped said:

Ah so that was a rank of people on the prog? Well either way I think Weckl should be there! I think he's got more drum skills than Grohl has in his little finger but I suppose it's partly taking into account album sales etc?

Also should have Harvey Mason, JR Robinson.. Vinnie Colaiuta..

They (Steve White) claimed it was the top drummers mentioned by other drummers.  He also said putting a list together was tricky - "...the 30+ drummers involved in this program... " which would suggest only a vote of 1.5 was needed to get on the list of 20!

One drummer (the guy from the Libertines) suggested Weckl, Colauita and Jim Keltner were obvious disciples of Steve Gadd, which was obviously their single justification for not including them as Gadd was on there.  I totally agree that Grohl is nowhere near their talent, but I guess if you ask drummers who grew up with Nirvana who their most influential drummer was?  I must admit that watching by Nirvana unplugged back in the day, I was inspired to try Hot Rods and used them for many years in low level gigs.

I don't think the show was perfect at all, but there were some interesting interviews and playing. 

EDIT: @ezbass according to my Sky box that was episode 4 of 4, but happy to have more!

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ped said:

As a kid, when I first started saying I wanted to be a drummer, my Dad's mate would lend me cassette tapes of Buddy rich just soloing constantly for about 60mins.

It used to turn me right off.  However, I was later given a tape of him playing with his big band, and in a musical context, thought he was amazing.   

5 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I have had the great pleasure of playing with Dave Mattacks. If you are in West Sussex he occasionally surfaces around Worthing playing with Bob Brookes and Miller Anderson.

Wow! You are now officially a leg-end and I am filled with great pulsating lumps of envy! It's a real eye- (and ear-) opener when you get to play with a drummer of that calibre. Nice work. :)

Yes, so many more drummers I'm sure we could all mention that didn't get featured in the programme.

I've been hugely impressed having seen, among others, Manu Katche, Vinnie Colaiuta, Abe Laboriel Jnr, Ricky Lawson and one of my all-time favourites, Richie Hayward (RIP) from Little Feat.

One other drummer I must mention ('cos I did some recording and live work with him a couple of years ago) who also has some serious moves, is Mark Brzezicki (Big Country, Procol Harum).