Why become a member? ×

Varnish for Neck & Treatment for Fretboard of Kit Build

Unknown_User

I'm currently making a J Bass from a kit I got off the Internet.  At the moment I'm a bit stuck as to how to finish the neck and fretboard.

I'm not sure what varnish to use for the back of the neck.  I was thinking maybe a satin varnish hoping that it might be a little easier to get up and down the neck with that than a gloss one.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also the rosewood fretboard looks a little light coloured and maybe dry.  With a new rosewood fretboard should I rub some linseed oil or something into it or is this something that will fix itself over time as it ages?  I've read conflicting reports over whether you should oil them or not.

Happy to benefit from anyone's experience with this!

3 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

I'm currently making a J Bass from a kit I got off the Internet.  At the moment I'm a bit stuck as to how to finish the neck and fretboard.

I'm not sure what varnish to use for the back of the neck.  I was thinking maybe a satin varnish hoping that it might be a little easier to get up and down the neck with that than a gloss one.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Danish Oil, rubbed on, if you want a fine satin finish.  True Oil or Gun Oil, rubbed on, if you want gloss.

3 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Also the rosewood fretboard looks a little light coloured and maybe dry.  With a new rosewood fretboard should I rub some linseed oil or something into it or is this something that will fix itself over time as it ages?  I've read conflicting reports over whether you should oil them or not.

Lemon Oil, rubbed in and buffed off periodically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the neck, apply a coat of tru oil and let it fully dry to seal it.  Then use 400 wet n dry with tru oil as the wet to lightly slurry an oil/sanding dust mix.  Wipe off when still wet.  Let it dry.  Repeat the truoil slurry but this time wipe it off and then, preferably with a different cloth, buff up vigorously.  Let dry overnight.  You should have a satin, silky smooth finish that still feels like wood but keeps the dirt and sweat out.  If sometime in the future you want to spruce it up, just repeat that very last step.

I use this for ALL of my necks - even the stained ones :)

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

For the neck, apply a coat of tru oil and let it fully dry to seal it.  Then use 400 wet n dry with tru oil as the wet to lightly slurry an oil/sanding dust mix.  Wipe off when still wet.  Let it dry.  Repeat the truoil slurry but this time wipe it off and then, preferably with a different cloth, buff up vigorously.  Let dry overnight.  You should have a satin, silky smooth finish that still feels like wood but keeps the dirt and sweat out.  If sometime in the future you want to spruce it up, just repeat that very last step.

Listen to Andy...he's built two basses for me and both play like a dream - smooth necks that you can just fly over....

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2018 at 15:36, SpondonBassed said:

Danish Oil, rubbed on, if you want a fine satin finish.  True Oil or Gun Oil, rubbed on, if you want gloss.

Lemon Oil, rubbed in and buffed off periodically.

On 28/09/2018 at 10:41, Andyjr1515 said:

I followed a hybrid of these two approaches, using Andyjr1515's method to apply Danish oil as SpondonBassed recommended.  It has worked a treat!  Thank you gents!

• Like 1