Why become a member? ×

NBD: Vintage VJ74 Jazz - Refurbished!

discreet

NBD: Vintage VJ74 Jazz - Refurbished!

I’ve had low-level GAS for a Vintage brand V4 P Bass for some years, but for whatever reason had never considered their Jazz offerings. But when I saw a Vintage VJ74 Reissue Jazz  for sale here on BC at a very reasonable price, I took a punt - on a whim. However, the bass had one or two problems: Firstly, it was black - and secondly, it didn’t have its original ‘Vintage VJ74’ decal, which had been replaced with a ‘Moon Bass’ decal (see pics). The pickguard is tort, but considering it’s not what I call ‘proper’ tort, it’s actually not too bad. These are the ‘before’ pics:

PREJAZ1.jpg

PREJAZ2.jpg

I refinished the bass in Heritage White, with matching headstock. Then I made a ‘Vintage VJ74’ decal in PhotoShop and printed it onto inkjet waterslide decal paper - my first DIY decal. The rosewood fretboard was a bit chalky and quite dry, so I treated it to a drop of oil, which made it much darker. Result. Other modifications were minimal, as I’m perfectly happy with the electrics, pickups and hardware which are all Wilkinson as standard, Vintage being one of Trevor Wilkinson’s brands. The 'refurbishment' isn't absolutely to stock - as far as I know Vintage don't produce a matching-headstock Jazz in their range, so I allowed myself a little leeway - it's a bit 'custom'...

It plays really nicely and sound-wise it’s right up there with the competition. I’ve owned and played Fender Jazzes and various Jazz clones from other makers and the VJ74 absolutely holds its own. The Wilkinson pickups are strong and clear with a big, yet tight and controlled low end, punchy mids and a ringing, almost piano-like tone with a new set of rounds. Very intoxicating and quite addictive. My original intention was to titivate the bass and move it on, but it has immediately become my number one go-to instrument. Obviously 'Vintage' brand basses are way underrated! I’m totally chuffed with it, and it will have its first outing at rehearsal this evening.

I’m also chuffed with the cost. As I already had the paint, the amber tint and the waterslide decal paper, and as it wasn’t necessary to upgrade the pickups, tuners or bridge, all it took to get this where I wanted it was a little time and effort. Well worth it - and I’m now a happy bunny. Well... until P-Bass GAS comes around again of course, but as usual I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. 9_9 Note - the tort guard looks red on black; and much darker on white. Juxtaposition! It's the same guard. Anyway in conclusion, it's obviously possible to pick up a bass for little money that's already a decent, solid player and have it become your main squeeze with a bit of cosmetic work. Result. These are the ‘after’ pics:

fdBody.jpg

Pickup.jpg

b0fStockFront.jpg

Tuners.jpg

b20Bridge.jpg

299Full.jpg

I thank you! And many thanks to Basschatter Aidan63. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 9

On 24/09/2018 at 16:13, Twincam said:

I know you mentioned the finish, it probably wouldn't take too much work to put a nicer final finish on that headstock.

Absolutely agree, I should have worked it to a glass-like finish. But I really wanted to take it to rehearsal tonight and see how it sounds! :)

Edited by discreet

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

Absolutely agree, it's very orange-peely and I should have worked it to a glass-like finish. But I really wanted to take it to rehearsal tonight and see how it sounds! :)

Well I hope it sounds as good as it looks. Fantastic that is!

I empathise with your lack if patience haha.

Edited by Twincam
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Twincam said:

Well I hope it sounds as good as it looks. Fantastic that is! I empathise with your lack of patience.

Thanks, sounds great here at home so I'm hopeful. I'll buy more clear and work the headstock. My OCD won't allow it to stand now you've mentioned it. :)

Took the bass to rehearsal this evening, it absolutely rocks. The epitome of what a Jazz Bass should sound like and it plays very nicely. Even got comments from the band, who usually wouldn't notice if I turned up with a bright pink ukulele. I'm really surprised at how good this is. On the strength of it I'll definitely be looking at a Vintage brand P Bass at some point (a white one, so I don't have to paint it). ;) You really don't need to spend a lot of money to get a very playable, good-sounding instrument these days. What a great time it is to be a bass player!

Edited by discreet
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, discreet said:

Took the bass to rehearsal this evening, it absolutely rocks. The epitome of what a Jazz Bass should sound like and it plays very nicely. Even got comments from the band, who usually wouldn't notice if I turned up with a bright pink ukulele. I'm really surprised at how good this is. On the strength of it I'll definitely be looking at a Vintage brand P Bass at some point (a white one, so I don't have to paint it). ;) You really don't need to spend a lot of money to get a very playable, good-sounding instrument these days. What a great time it is to be a bass player!

I have these two and am thinking about adding a VJ74

p-bass1.png.3cd2e7fbf5f7104598af988a48944e34.pngp-bass2.png.b18763dccf4c53f9cf47198c090c0d2c.png

I've said it before V4s are great basses & as stated not just for the money they stand on their own as great basses. I have 3, here's 2 of them, a slightly customised Tony Butler sig model & the new model in Firenza Red. The other being a sunburst model. Can't beat them in my opinion. 

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Edited by Jonny Boots
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Jonny Boots said:

I've said it before V4s are great basses & as stated not just for the money they stand on their own as great basses. I have 3, here's 2 of them, a slightly customised Tony Butler sig model & the new model in Firenza Red. The other being a sunburst model. Can't beat them in my opinion. 

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

I like the black hardware on the Tony Butler