Why become a member? ×

I don't practice - enough is enough

AntLockyer

Reading is good, it will improve your timing, reading (obviously) and dexterity. The good thing about reading music is you're not running through your comfortable lines, party pieces or usual stuff. You will be playing different lines and making new neural pathways. Always be working on new stuff and adding to your library of bass experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Basically did nothing last week other than a bit of noodling and playing along to some jam tracks.

Got back into it today with some reading. What I'd done before must have bedded in because I'm way better and was able to just sight read my way through the new exercises. Onto Chapter 4 in the book now.

• Like 2

Practice is a strange concept for me. As a teenager I moved from 6-string guitar to bass and immediately went out gigging, so practice was learning songs and rehearsing. A few years of rock and metal bands later I went "pro" in a function/party band which was often my only source of income for 5 years.  I then did a stint doing original session work on tour for a singer/songwriter who was releasing an album and then went into the tribute band scene.

Never learned a Victor Wooton slap line or how to play "Portrait of Tracey" once in that time because frankly, 99.99% of audiences don't want to listen to that sort of stuff and I didn't have the time to learn them to impress my peers or gain personal satisfaction.

Now I'm a bit older and I only gig a couple of times a month, learning that sort of intricate technical stuff is what I finally do. Just for myself though, Noone will ever hear it though except my girlfriend who just says "that's nice dear" and my cat, who scarpers whenever I pick up my bass. I might just as well be making a model of HMS Victory out of matchsticks.

When I do gig, I'm pretty much still playing stuff at a level I could do perfectly well 20 years ago.

So I guess it's horses for courses, you need to focus your efforts on what is needed at the time. If you are a busy gigging covers bassist, learning your set properly to perfomance level is all the practice you need. If you play original stuff, learn your theory and how to put it into practice. If you want to be a virtuoso, grind away but be prepared to never have anyone listen to your perfect Jaco runs and harmonic chords, because nobody really cares.

• Like 1

I'm not learning Wooton or Jaco lines. In terms of stuff I'd like to play there are loads and loads of things that I've never bothered to work out or have tried and failed. I'm mostly interested in being able to express myself in the genres that I like funk, rock, motown, blues, soul etc. to get there I think I need a general level of technical skill and knowledge in the areas set out in the original post

• Technique, facility and articulation
  • Time and groove
  • Fingerboard visualisation
  • Genre based studies
  • Language of music (phrases and harmony)

20 minutes ago, AntLockyer said:

I'm not learning Wooton or Jaco lines. In terms of stuff I'd like to play there are loads and loads of things that I've never bothered to work out or have tried and failed. I'm mostly interested in being able to express myself in the genres that I like funk, rock, motown, blues, soul etc. to get there I think I need a general level of technical skill and knowledge in the areas set out in the original post

• Technique, facility and articulation
  • Time and groove
  • Fingerboard visualisation
  • Genre based studies
  • Language of music (phrases and harmony)

Sorry I was using this as an example of how it panned out for me, I am (attempting) to finally learn that crazy stuff.

My previously badly worded point is, if you want to learn to play a genre, just learn the basslines that already exist from key players. Playing them in your band if you can will give you the impetus to do that. Start with the easier grooves and work your way up and try to learn them by ear if you can. This is how I learned to play bass and learned my chops, I never had a teacher or a book or used TAB, I just played basslines. Obviously the theory of modes, pentatonics and diatonics helps with that, but you can learn that stuff pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I never practice for practice's sake, but I have been spending several hours a day for some months now learning the material for the band I joined in January, not made any easier by switching from 4 to 6 string bass recently! The aim (of the band) is to have a repertoire of at least 100 songs that we all know without the need for cheat sheets as soon as possible - as the newest member, I have my work cut out!

I would say that knowing some basic theory helps me to recognise patterns and work out the lines more quickly (I am working from chord charts only).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Max Normal said:

Sorry I was using this as an example of how it panned out for me, I am (attempting) to finally learn that crazy stuff.

My previously badly worded point is, if you want to learn to play a genre, just learn the basslines that already exist from key players. Playing them in your band if you can will give you the impetus to do that. Start with the easier grooves and work your way up and try to learn them by ear if you can. This is how I learned to play bass and learned my chops, I never had a teacher or a book or used TAB, I just played basslines. Obviously the theory of modes, pentatonics and diatonics helps with that, but you can learn that stuff pretty quickly.

No it's good, it has made me think a bit more about why I'm doing this. I'm also quite geeky so getting into a subject like this is the way I learn.