Why become a member? ×

We Close Our Eyes - Go West

wal4string

My transcription of the 1985 hit by Go West - We Close Our Eyes. Both the singer and Pino play Bass on the album this came from.

It's played on a 5 string but I don't recall seeing Pino playing one.

Not the easiest of keys to play in, so don't let the E sharp trip you up. I find the easiest way is to play the verse in the 3rd position and the chorus in the 1st, a finger per fret of course. 

We Close Our Eyes.pdf

Nice work. I'm sure I read somewhere that that particular bass line was created using two linked together Roland SH101 synthesisers? 

I also remember Jools Holland, following a performance by Paul Young live on The Tube, announcing that 'Pino's new band Go West will appear on next weeks show'  no doubt much to the amusement of Messrs Cox and Drummie....😖

''Gary asked me to pass him the album sleeve so he could use the sleeve notes to prod his memory. "OK, we've got 'We Close Our Eyes' and that's sequenced bass. Funnily enough, I met Paul King out in LA and he said to me: 'I really love 'We Close Our Eyes'. We put that track up on the monitors as a guide to listen for bass sounds when we do our tracks because we really love the bass on it.' I didn't have the heart to tell him it was two Roland SH101s - which are about £150 each - linked up together.''

Taken from here;

www.muzines.co.uk/articles/go-west-producer-gary-stevenson/1308

Edited by BassTool

37 minutes ago, BassTool said:

''Gary asked me to pass him the album sleeve so he could use the sleeve notes to prod his memory. "OK, we've got 'We Close Our Eyes' and that's sequenced bass. Funnily enough, I met Paul King out in LA and he said to me: 'I really love 'We Close Our Eyes'. We put that track up on the monitors as a guide to listen for bass sounds when we do our tracks because we really love the bass on it.' I didn't have the heart to tell him it was two Roland SH101s - which are about £150 each - linked up together.''

Taken from here;

www.muzines.co.uk/articles/go-west-producer-gary-stevenson/1308

Cheers for the info. I did find it hard picking out some of the notes. I read the Gary Stevenson article fascinating read. Many thanks for the link.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Thanks for this, although I see it was a while ago.

Sounds to me like the intro doesn't have the 16ths, and the 4th bar continues the 8th notes.  The first time it goes up to A it stays there instead of going down to E.