Why become a member? ×

Pickguardless p bass

lwinter

There might be unexpected import duties if this is coming in from the 'States.  Needs knob 'oles though.  Not difficult to DIY.

PS;  I just saw this: "This seller is currently away, and isn't processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your Watch list to keep track of it."  It's a start though.

Edited by SpondonBassed

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

There might be unexpected import duties if this is coming in from the 'States.  Needs knob 'oles though.  Not difficult to DIY.

PS;  I just saw this: "This seller is currently away, and isn't processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your Watch list to keep track of it."  It's a start though.

Thats the only one ive seen. Postage is £65 though and I don't really fancy spending that much tbh 😛

Guitar build.co.uk can do whatever you need. 

Edit: Ah, sorry do you mean you want a guitar shaped lump of wood? Or a finished guitar minus neck, knobs and control plate? If the first then guitarbuild are good, if the latter then ebay or gumtree is your friend. Buy a cheap bass body and most sellers will throw in the neck for free😉

😆

Edited by honza992

34 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Get a cheap P-body from eBay, fit a bit of timber as a strengthener over the control cavity and follow andyjr1515's how-to on veneering?

I did think about doing that. Im all good with veneering etc but this will be painted anyway so no need. Just needs to be smooth. Question would be how best to make the rear cavity

12 hours ago, Grangur said:

So what you're looking for is something like an Ibanez or Warwick version? The necks on these tend to have a different number of frets to those on a Fender. 

So I don't know where you can get one ready made.

Looking for a body not neck mate. Want one without the pickguard so a rear cavity for control access etc

7 minutes ago, lwinter said:

Looking for a body not neck mate. Want one without the pickguard so a rear cavity for control access etc

Then go and buy one. Or make one from a blank. 
All bodies need to be made to suit a specific length of neck and number of frets. If you don't the fret spacing will be wrong to suit the scale length.... but you know this as it's basic knowledge when building a bass.

Your question, without defining the number of frets is unanswerable. But you know this as it's basic... troll alert!

1 hour ago, lwinter said:

I did think about doing that. Im all good with veneering etc but this will be painted anyway so no need. Just needs to be smooth. Question would be how best to make the rear cavity

I don't know much about routers, but with a long follow bit could you use the existing control cavity as the template for the hole in the back and just rout straight through?  One for the luthiers I think. 

I'd just clamp it to the mill and go straight through with an end mill :)

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1