Why become a member? ×

Eden WT550 repair gone awry

Danuman

Hi all,

Sorry guys, this is going to be a bit long-winded, but I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this one for me.

TL;DR
My Eden amp has been repaired and now it no longer sounds good. Does anyone know how I might get my hands on something like a schematic or measurements of a healthy circuit?

I've been gigging my WT550 for about to years, and I absolutely adored it every time I took it out. It's dated 2001 and I'm pretty sure it's been pretty heavily gigged - if not just for the past two years - but it's never missed a beat (although I might have). Lately though, I found the DI had a problematic hum the amp started every so often to produce strange pops and faint swishes, and so I thought I had better get it checked out.

Anyway, after searching for specialized repairmen for quite a while, I ended up going with an amp-builder who is known for manufacturing high end guitar pedals.

Upon getting it back in use I found the DI had been fixed and the unit now only produces the faintest of hiss, but unfortunately that magic Eden voicing is just down the toilet. It even prompted the drummer to say he thought my sound didn't 'feel' right.

First off though, the repairman promised to take another look, and I'm hoping that's going to work out. I trust the man's best intentions, but I'm starting to worry I've now paid someone to make me not love my amp anymore.

He explained to me he found the Op-amps to measure something like +15/-7 and he made sure everything now reads +15/+15. I suppose that might make sense, or maybe not and it might turn out to be a design issue. (Take those numbers with a grain of salt, I know pretty much nothing about it.)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Daniel

Edited by Danuman