Why become a member? ×

Petition to help save a great local music venue.

Painy

Hi everyone, 

(Mods - I hope this is okay) 

It has just been announced that one of Norwich's most important music venues The Brickmakers will be closing its doors at the end of January as the owners - Enterprise Inns (EI Publican Partnerships) - are demanding an extra 12% to renew the leasehold - which the current landladies simply can't afford.

This is probably the only dedicated live music pub left in Norwich (not to mention being named UK live music pub of the year in 2011) and is a real hub for the local live music scene. There is also a second room (The B2) which is one of the only venues in the area devoted to original bands. 

It also happens to be where I first met my beautiful wife 🙂

I've no idea if this petition will do any good but it's at least better than doing nothing so if any of you would be kind enough to sign it then I (and I'm sure the rest of Norfolk's musical community) would be very grateful. 

https://www.change.org/p/ei-publican-partnerships-save-the-brickmakers-norwich?recruiter=27439545&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_abi_gmail_send.variation.pacific_abi_select_all_contacts.select_all.pacific_email_copy_en_gb_4.v2.pacific_email_copy_en_us_4.control.pacific_email_copy_en_us_3.control.lightning_share_by_medium.share_by_medium.lightning_share_by_medium_message.control.lightning_2primary_share_options.variant.lightning_2primary_share_options_more.variant

• Like 3

At the risk of being controversial: I live five minutes walk from the Brickmakers but never, ever go there. Whilst it's great that they support live music, as a pub it's just awful (decor, beer etc).

It's a shame as it wouldn't take much to make it a pleasant place to go.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IME venues come and go. There's no point in clinging to the past, and trying to save a venue just because that was the place that has previously had live music. If there is a genuine audience for live music then then another venue will start putting it on.

Norwich is down to the last few and even those are struggling. Sadly, this story isn’t about demand for music. The owners of these venues (and more) it has been suggested have gotten  themselves in to financial difficulty. It seems, despite these venues turning over a profit (from what I can understand) the owners want more money to cover their own backs instead of investing in the very thing that could help them out of troubled waters.

still, no different from the British government eh...

• Like 1

Signed. This happened to a pub in Blackburn but it was the brewery who wanted to close it. After a petition it was saved as a place of community interest. Took a while but it was successful and so there's no reason why your petition can't help. Good luck.

• Thanks 1