Why become a member? ×

Chas Hodges

peteb

Just seen something on Facebook that Chas Hodges of Chas & Dave passed away this morning as a result of suffering organ failure after recently receiving treatment for oesophageal cancer. 

If  remember correctly, Chas was a bass player of some note in the 60s, playing with Richie Blackmore among others (I'm sure that some will have more details or correct me if I'm wrong). My own memories of him was Chas & Dave playing before a band I as in at some corporate function gig at the Cafe Royale in London nearly 20 years ago. We used to joke that Chas & Dave had been our support band! 

Sad news...

Edited by peteb
  • Sad 6

A classic from 79. He wasn`t allowed to say "cowson" as someone in the bbc said it was offensive so on this live vocal, watch his face after the first Gertcha he misses it out and has a smile to himself. Nice bass playing as well.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

When I was around 10 years old my dad worked with Chas and Dave as a recording engineer at some gig in London. I managed to quite badly injure my finger (almost severed the tip of my right-hand middle finger - that would have made playing the bass unlikely) and they were incredibly caring as was the support act Natasha England  

I was looked after amazingly and sent a bunch of records as well as multiple phone calls over the next few weeks to check I was OK. Truly above and beyond as my mum just said to me on the phone.

RIP Chas.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this.  Been a fan since seeing him in Cliff Bennett's band the Rebel Rousers way back in the 60s.  Bit of Trivia, the RRs' long time drummer, Mick Burt was for years the third member of Chas & Dave.

Edited by Baxlin

Bugger. Quite frankly a gentleman and a scholar. Love a bit of C&D. The bassline to “Rabbit” is ridiculous, AND Dave played and sang it at the same time. Musicians of that level remain a mystery to me.

No way they’d be as famous as they are in this day and age, but I’d politely invite anyone who refers to them as a ‘novelty act’ to Foxtrot Oscar. Bit miffed I never got to see them live.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peteb said:

If remember correctly, Chas was a bass player of some note in the 60s, playing with Richie Blackmore among others

Chas was the pianist, Dave was the bassist. They were both bloody good at what they did and certainly “earned their stripes” before they became famous in their own right.

1 hour ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Chas was the pianist, Dave was the bassist. They were both bloody good at what they did and certainly “earned their stripes” before they became famous in their own right.

Chas was the pianist in Chas & Dave, but before that he was better known as a bass player in Head Hands & Feet and other bands in the 60s and early 70s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2