Why become a member? ×

Six string bass

kevvo66

Hiya lovely people of bass chat, just a quick one I'm seriously looking at buying a six string bass as fours just don't do it for me no more, I've got  a fiver which is great and my weapon of choice for rehearsals and home use the 4s don't get a look in no more, I'm willing too invest about £400 to 500 into one to see if it's for me any which I think it will be I don't have hands like pan shovels so 2foot wide neck out of the question and I'm going down chordal impro  route suggestion please😌, cheers kev

I'd check out 2nd hand Ibanez BTB range. I had an ESP Ltd 6er to start with and string spacing was quite narrow at 16.5mm.

I would try and keep string spacing the same as your 4 or 5 string basses. The width of the actual neck didn't really bother me when i went for my Overwater custom 6 fretless.

I just couldn't get used to the ESP string spacing and kept missing strings when playing fast and changing a lot between basses.

I did go back to preferring my 4 stringers tho and currently my Jazz is my goto bass for everything unless asked to use 5 or 6 for something specific.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7