Why become a member? ×

Yet more 80’s Pointiness!! Fernandes PJ-45

Old Horse Murphy

I picked this up today and after a bit of research I “think” it’s a Fernandes PJ-45 from the mid to late 80’s. Considering it’s age and the fact that it’s white, it’s actually not in bad shape at all. 

When I picked it up it was filthy, with a capital “Good God”. After ensuring my tetanus jab was up to date I gave it a thorough clean and actually it’s come up pretty well. There are a few dings and some discolouration, but I’ve seen a lot worse on newer basses. I strung it with a new set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickels and it sounds amazing. The controls appear to be VVT and the body is apparently alder. 

One thing I didn’t realise until I restrung it was it’s a 32” scale! It’s actually a wee bit cramped for me but very, very easy to play and a lovely weight too (under 8lbs). 

I don't know too much about Fernandes Guitars other than they’re Japanese and of a decent enough pedigree. The guitarist of the first band I was ever in came back from a US holiday with a Fernandes Sustainer (Sustaniac?) just after the Joshua Tree was released (With Or Without You anyone?) and it was a super bit of kit  

Anyway, not sure it’s a keeper but it’s a lot of fun and I feel good for having rescued it from the 80’s pointy guitar graveyard and it looks good next to my Charvel 1B.

41DE5986-5DC0-4C95-896C-99AABFB41FDF.jpeg

3BC2E913-C50D-4016-B55A-9BC0A0AB75CF.jpeg

5831CA66-2962-45CB-A803-21D398FC5FC7.jpeg

1BDADCDA-2F99-4C61-BEA6-D77DE0E8C092.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

I've been seeing a number of Washburn Force B20(?) coming up for sale recently. My third bass (much better than the Hohner cricket bat which was my 2nd) - strangely a friend bought one the same weekend - good basses in their day.

Somehow, for me anyway, the pointy headstock aren't as easy on the eye as they were back then...