Why become a member? ×

For sale adverts

jezzaboy

I`m on the look out for a new bass and obviously I`m checking in here on a regular basis. I mean, who`s got time to practice when you are looking at great basses for sale B|

But the amount of adverts with little info is doing my head in. Maybe it`s just me but things like:

Where is your location? The amount of adverts that are collect only and then the poster doesn`t put their location especially with bass cabs is frustrating. Not all members have their location in their avatar.

Will you post the bass or is it collect only? If you are willing to post, will it come in a hard case, what about insurance, UK only?

Weight. This is no big deal for me but for lots of potential buyers it is a deal breaker. It doesn`t take a lot of effort to get a rough weight.

And some nice pics of the bass would go down well.

A question to the mods. Would it be a major hassle to have a sort of standard form that you fill in when posting something for sale? I realise you guys are busy people and I may be looking for an answer to a problem that doesn`t exist except in my own mind!

• Like 1

I think that's a good idea. The use of templates is normal, for instance, all writers follow one when reviewing gear for BGM, so that reviews by any writer mention all relevant points in a standard order, and give the same amount of information, for comparison purposes.

@ped, @charic - is something like the above doable?

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

I think this would be a revelation if it could be done.

I think those that dont have a location , and you have to actively not fill that bit in when joining, are paranoid that somehow,  even with a weird forum name, and a location like Yorkshire, that all the BC hackers, of which there are over 30,000, are still going to discover your real name, your address, and steal your identity.

Why people dont put relevant info in for sale stuff is just as mysterious.  Perhaps they deliberately leave out useful info so that they get a lot more replies asking for stuff that they have left out, so it looks like more people are interested in their item

Edited by fleabag

13 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

...because people can't figure out what info people will need, themselves....will we be putting up a sign telling people to breath too?? :facepalm::facepalm:

No, it's because writers have individual styles which can interfere with clarity and make comparisons difficult. If we were allowed to wax lyrical exclusively about what's important to us, use up our entire word allowance for that, and omit other information, despite the fact that such info would be equally important to many of our readers, then our reviews would be of no use whatsoever.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

I see this all the time with general sales, not just bass guitars. It's like people are so lazy they figure if someone is interested then they will ask loads of questions, rather than going to the trouble of actually posting things properly in the first place. 

On a local buy and sell site where I used to live every other advert used to say "need gone", like that was actually some incentive for people to buy. 

4 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

..because people can't figure out what info people will need, themselves....will we be putting up a sign telling people to breath too?? :facepalm::facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

it's because writers have individual styles which can interfere with clarity and make comparisons difficult.

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's like people are so lazy they figure if someone is interested then they will ask loads of questions, rather than going to the trouble of actually posting things properly in the first place. 

Thank you NFF.

Not everybody has Sherlock Holmes' deductive skills... before hitting the "submit reply" button think what people might want to know....collection from??? weight?? obvious faults/ damage??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I`m on the look out for a new bass and obviously I`m checking in here on a regular basis. I mean, who`s got time to practice when you are looking at great basses for sale B|

But the amount of adverts with little info is doing my head in. Maybe it`s just me but things like:

Where is your location? The amount of adverts that are collect only and then the poster doesn`t put their location especially with bass cabs is frustrating. Not all members have their location in their avatar.

Will you post the bass or is it collect only? If you are willing to post, will it come in a hard case, what about insurance, UK only?

Weight. This is no big deal for me but for lots of potential buyers it is a deal breaker. It doesn`t take a lot of effort to get a rough weight.

And some nice pics of the bass would go down well.

A question to the mods. Would it be a major hassle to have a sort of standard form that you fill in when posting something for sale? I realise you guys are busy people and I may be looking for an answer to a problem that doesn`t exist except in my own mind!

I recently posted a bass for sale and think I ticked all the boxes you meantioned - the only thing I didn’t do is go in depth to cases and postage type stuff - mainly as I presumed (perhaps wrongly) that of course I’m going to package and post and insure a bass to someone if they are willing to pay me for it. The bass before this one I drove 50 miles to meet them in a service station ... maybe I should spell it out more? “I’m not a d***”

One I don't think that you can really do anything other than to flag them to the mods is when you read a well put together advert and go through all of the additions to the thread, you're thinking that this might be something that you'd like to buy and discuss with the buyer and on the last post it says "sold"

Grrrr