Why become a member? ×

Doublebass acquisition - URGENT HELP please

Armando Fonseca

Dear All,

I’m a musician since a kid (piano and bayan) but my “secondary dream” has always been to lear a few simples things of doublebass (walking bass, pizzicato, etc) so I’ve been trying to acquire a used one, which is the only option for economical reasons.

I would need the opinion of an expert though and took the liberty of sending this email expecting that you can be so kind to help me.

Fortunately an opportunity as finally come and I’ve found a CREMONA LUBY, Model 5/5, manufactured in 1977, and after contacting the manufacturer, they told me they haven’t any info, since it’s a "pre-Strunal” instrument, but if it has the same specs as the new one, it would be a Solist concert Double Bass, fully carved, solid Spruce top, solid Maple back and sides, fine Ebony trimmings, inlaid purflings, Rubner machine heads, Master endpin, D´Addario Helicore strings, flat back which would cost around 5.000€.

The problem is that I can see two “black lines” on the lower body on the pictures the seller has sent me, which seem to be fractures and that he can’t tell if are serious or not…

Even though it seems a good deal, since he’s selling it for 950€ (including bag and bow) I don’t know what to do… the question is if even with this problem it worth's over buying a 500€ “chinese model” or another option I have for 2.000€ (stentor).

Please kindly check the attached pictures and let me know.

I will sincerely appreciate all the support you can provide reinforcing the excellent opinion I have about this forum.

Looking forwards to hear from you.

Best regards,

Armando Fonseca 

Strunal_1.Strunal_2. Strunal_3.Strunal_4.Strunal_5.Strunal_6.

The bass definitely is Czech Cremona (Strunal) carved model. From 70´s - more sturdy than refined instruments, but with nice sound, and mainly last forever. Used ones are hard to find even here in Czech Republic and 950eur seems ok (for repaired one). But the price depends on the quality of repairs. I see 2 cracks + some neck heel repair (top of the last picture). The crack under the G side of the bridge - also called the soundpost crack - is probably the worst issue, if not repaired right, because the top is in tension from the soundpost right there. But I´ve repaired similar (much shorter) crack on my DB by myself and it never bothered me later. Btw. any repairs look not nice on instruments with gloss laquered PU finish :(  

Stentors seem bit overpriced for what they are and with somehow weird ergonomy to me. I´d also rather take old Strunal instead of cheap chinese bass, but to see and play the bass before buying is a must, if you have no spare cash or luthier as a best friend ;)    

What about some european (made in Strunal)  half carved 1000eur bass from Thomann? There should be no issues except it is shiny new...

Edited by ljbass

The scratches on the back are nothing to worry about. You are at the beginning of your journey on double bass so I would take the bass that seems structurally more sound. They are both student instruments, and they will both be fine for a long time, until your ear and taste develop.  Whatever instrument you buy, always have a couple of hundred pounds aside for a luthier bill (at the very least). If it were me, I would keep away from the first one, not so much because of the cracks, but because you don’t know how well they have been repaired. I would take the second one, get a basic set up from a luthier, pick up a decent second hand set of strings and then concentrate on learning to play it and have fun. Hope this helps.

On 21/09/2018 at 18:40, Rabbie said:

The scratches on the back are nothing to worry about. You are at the beginning of your journey on double bass so I would take the bass that seems structurally more sound. They are both student instruments, and they will both be fine for a long time, until your ear and taste develop.  Whatever instrument you buy, always have a couple of hundred pounds aside for a luthier bill (at the very least). If it were me, I would keep away from the first one, not so much because of the cracks, but because you don’t know how well they have been repaired. I would take the second one, get a basic set up from a luthier, pick up a decent second hand set of strings and then concentrate on learning to play it and have fun. Hope this helps.

Sorry to be late to reply - I have only just seen this thread
But I'd agree with Rabbie here. This one looks a good bass.
Not sure how much these sell for - but do some searching - perhaps on eBay - see if you can find something similar, which might be a ball-park figure
Alternatively, as the seller roughly how much they are asking for

Most of all, don't rush into buying something which you think may have been repaired - they may be good repairs, but they also may not
Make sure the bass is playable - and are there any DB players local to you, who may be willing to accompany you + take a look, perhaps for the price of a couple of drinks? :)

Best of luck with your search

The Strunal is without doubt a solid, reliable, well made bass, that would see you good for many years. PLy basses are easier to look after and more resilient than carved ones.

Thomann bases are variable quality, but the 33 carved sounds like a top end for them. Don't know much about them. 

My vote would be for the Strunal. I had one of those once. Great tone, solid as a rock.