Why become a member? ×

For those who complain about 'modern' music

Sibob

I don't agree with the 'stuck' thing. Yes, I still enjoy music I picked up when I was in my teens, but like a lot of my friends I was very compartmentalised and prescriptive about my musical tastes. If it wasn't type of thing I'd decided I liked, I didn't give it house room. For example, and although I was a very keen bassist, you wouldn't have got me to listen to a Motown song even if you'd brought a pack of dogs and a big stick. As I've aged, I listen to (and play) and enjoy all sorts of different music.

Still, it's an internet video, so it must be right... 😐

I think there's probably something to the theory - there are a couple of bands I loved at that age that I've stuck with, some that on listening back these days I recoil in shock at how bad they sound, what was I thinking?"  But an awful lot that I don't listen to often, but bring a smile of fondness to my face.  Probably more influential was late teens to mid/late 20's - peak gig attendance, and a lot of stuff that I got into then has stuck. 

But I still look for new music, or old music that I haven't listened to before. 

However, perhaps we're not the ideal community to be picking holes in the theory - by definition we're people that have kept up an active interest in music over time, who were/are motivated enough by our love of music to learn to play an instrument and play in bands, whereas a lot of civilian friends are happy with the records they bought as teenagers and don't feel the need to look for anything new.  We're almost certainly outliers on the bell curve

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, discreet said:

Nah. Boarding school is buggery and Borstal is beating. Then buggery.

My point more was that comprehensive schools, or at least the one I went to, are so far removed from any boarding school I've seen or heard about that saying they're the "same thing" is like saying the super expensive new bass you're lusting after is the "same thing" as a cheap copy of it made from plywood you found at a car boot sale for £2.37.

5 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

My point more was that comprehensive schools, or at least the one I went to, are so far removed from any boarding school I've seen or heard about that saying they're the "same thing" is like saying the super expensive new bass you're lusting after is the "same thing" as a cheap copy of it made from plywood you found at a car boot sale for £2.37.

You're taking all this WAY too seriously. :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

They are the same in as much as they both have strings and pups and make a bassy noise.

Comp and boarding school are both schools that (sort of) provide education.

Anyway...as you were.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I think there's probably something to the theory - there are a couple of bands I loved at that age that I've stuck with, some that on listening back these days I recoil in shock at how bad they sound, what was I thinking?"  But an awful lot that I don't listen to often, but bring a smile of fondness to my face.  Probably more influential was late teens to mid/late 20's - peak gig attendance, and a lot of stuff that I got into then has stuck. 

But I still look for new music, or old music that I haven't listened to before. 

However, perhaps we're not the ideal community to be picking holes in the theory - by definition we're people that have kept up an active interest in music over time, who were/are motivated enough by our love of music to learn to play an instrument and play in bands, whereas a lot of civilian friends are happy with the records they bought as teenagers and don't feel the need to look for anything new.  We're almost certainly outliers on the bell curve

I think there's a lot of truth in this.  Definitely what shaped the music I listen to now is more stuff from my late teens and early twenties.  I went through a ten year "modern music is rubbish" doldrums (with the exception of about two bands) but I got out of that a couple of years ago and it turns out there's loads of new stuff I like.  I have to say online streaming has really helped me to find it.

I think for that ten years out of it was partly because the rock and metal music I liked had been taken over by boy band types of lads in their thirties wearing eyeliner non-ironically and whinging about not having a date for the prom and partly because growing up and having more responsibilities meant I couldn't stay up until 2 am listening to the radio shows where they put the more alternative music on any more.

personally I disagree about the spotify thing about listening to what was in the charts when you were young but I may be in the minority - in 1991 when all of my friends were listening to 808 State, I was listening to Pink Floyd.

The music I listen to has since about 1994, with the exception of the Chilis & Faith No More, been firmly rooted in the 70s and mainly rock music. There is music that I like before and after this period but it's mainly the 70s and I owe it all to Virgin Radio when it began in 1993.

Right at the beginning it was mainly 70s rock music that they played and I discovered, ELP, Yes, Kansas, Zeppelin and loads more.

For some reason I really despise most 60s music

37 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I even went to see Emerson Lake and Palmer live at Green's Playhouse. WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Like me, you probably thought they were entirely fantastic and original. Then later in life, thought... 'Meh'.

Edited by discreet