Why become a member? ×

My new Bass creation

Sidlanir

1 hour ago, Sidlanir said:

@Stub Mandel intonation & string height should be done simultaneously

I agree that if you change string height, you need to check and may have to adjust intonation, but not the other way around.

When I set up I like to set string height then adjust intonation.

With your arrangement won't adjusting intonation also affect string height, so you then have to repeat the process a few times to get it dialled? With an engineering eye I would prefer a mechanism where the two movements are independent.

47 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I agree that if you change string height, you need to check and may have to adjust intonation, but not the other way around.

When I set up I like to set string height then adjust intonation.

With your arrangement won't adjusting intonation also affect string height, so you then have to repeat the process a few times to get it dialled? With an engineering eye I would prefer a mechanism where the two movements are independent.

If you have done both ,you never need to change these settings ... on all standard bridges the screws are so fine & thin that these can't keep everything in tune for long time , believe me , I have tested a lot of bass bridges in my carer & the only bridge who is the best engineered bridge is the one from Phil Kubucki Ex Factor! 

58 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

If you have done both ,you never need to change these settings ... on all standard bridges the screws are so fine & thin that these can't keep everything in tune for long time , believe me , I have tested a lot of bass bridges in my carer & the only bridge who is the best engineered bridge is the one from Phil Kubucki Ex Factor! 

I agree that preferences in bridge designs are very personal.

I like the headless Steinberger ones best, there is an allen screw to lock them solid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I agree that preferences in bridge designs are very personal.

I like the headless Steinberger ones best, there is an allen screw to lock them solid.

Yeah, the Steinberger bridge is good ... so far ... attached a picture of one original bridge I bought a few months ago for an headless bass .... not the best quality...

4FCDDA61-544E-46C0-A36E-12FF44A726E1.jpeg

• Sad 2

I get your point but still think that this idea needs some refinement.

Why don't you let the string go to that round brass part? Now the string has to do two corners, so it will be a chore to replace or put through. To help the string replacement, the bridge base block could be turned around to reveal those brass parts. Then the angle adjustment idea has to be changed, too.

Your idea is strong, but you rely on similar looking parts. Should you use the best ideas from this and redraw it once more, please?

My problem with bass bridges is that they are always "long". My fretless has a 36" scale and the instrument needs some space for the bridge. The "shortest possible" bridge would be the best solution to keep the overall length reasonable but where are the options? The attachment to the wood can be on the frontside, so please consider turning the base plate around.

Hope you understand my comments. I might try to sketch it, but my drawing skills are funny/ridiculous. My little sister got all drawing molecules.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...