Why become a member? ×

Markbass power section question

fretmeister

I'm looking at the Little Marcus models.

The 250W and the 500W don't mention anything really, but the specs on the 800W and 1000W mention a MPT power section.

Is it marketing crap or is it something worth considering? is the 500W A/B or D?

I seem to be moving away from overdriven sounds in my old age! :D 

Just looked at the ads, they don't actually claim any more than that Marc designed his own circuits. Not something that is untrue but not a reason to buy or not buy a Markbass. I use an MB Tube, well designed and well made but so are many others.

I've read in these pages that early MB's were A/B and later ones class D. Honestly it doesn't matter and any amp worth it's salt should give you a choice between clean or overdriven sound by just turning the input gain down and the master volume up.

As ever try amps and speakers out before you buy them and if you like the sound better than the others you know which one to buy.

I’ve got two MoMark modular Markbass amps (500w and 800w). I’d always thought that the 500w was Class A/B and the 800w was Class D.   I recently took the 500w to an amp tech to have it checked over and was surprised when he told me it was also a Class D. 😳

Both amps sound great, as does my Class D Aguilar AG700.

If you try an amp and it sounds good to you then I don’t think it matters what’s under the bonnet. 😎

5 hours ago, gazhowe said:

I’ve got two MoMark modular Markbass amps (500w and 800w). I’d always thought that the 500w was Class A/B and the 800w was Class D.   I recently took the 500w to an amp tech to have it checked over and was surprised when he told me it was also a Class D. 😳

Both amps sound great, as does my Class D Aguilar AG700.

If you try an amp and it sounds good to you then I don’t think it matters what’s under the bonnet. 😎

I don't think that amp tech knows what he's looking at. The 500 watt Momark power frame is class AB but with a switch mode power supply meaning it doesn't need large transformers associated with more traditional class AB heads. Just because it's light doesn't mean it's class D. The LM2 and early LM3 were class AB. 

The Momark 800 watt power frame is class D.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazhowe said:

That was the case until about 2-3 years ago but then MB went Class D in the LM series, but not sure if the MoMark went that way as well. The MPT tag is apparently MB's own Class D design. They aren't using the same modules that everyone else uses.

Like ebenezer, I don't get on with Class D. Have tried virtually every one and they seem gutless compared to my Class A/B Markbass SA450.

If it is indeed true that MB have their own Class D design, I might need to give it a whirl.

Edited by BassBunny

I'm quite happy with Class D, and I only ever judge an amp with my ears and not the spec sheet - I was just curious as to whether it was some new tech that was worth thinking about.

I've never thought the 500W heads were under powered, but as the 800W is only about another £60 it got me wondering about it.

I've got a Tecamp Puma 300 and a Darkglass M900 and I seem to be using the Tecamp more often and then using pedals if I want dirt. The DG does do a great clean too, but I'm wondering if I fancy a change.

13 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I don't think that amp tech knows what he's looking at. The 500 watt Momark power frame is class AB but with a switch mode power supply meaning it doesn't need large transformers associated with more traditional class AB heads. Just because it's light doesn't mean it's class D. The LM2 and early LM3 were class AB. 

The Momark 800 watt power frame is class D.

Thanks for the clarification.  B|

I was tempted by a MM, but ended up with a LM3 instead.

MM has a improved EQ, but when I spoke to the guys at the Gallery, it was reasoned that unless I was doing any slapping, a LM3 would do the job at a cheaper price.

It does, love it. Used to have the LM2 (when it was part of my old combo). LM3 is better - sure the MM would be a fab choice. 😀

By stating Markbass Proprietary Technology (MPT), Markbass wanted to differentiate itself from all the amp companies that used proprietary (off the shelf) ICE class D power modules by emphasising that its class D power sections were of its own design and manufacture. 

Edited by Sparky Mark

I was of course tongue in cheek. However it really makes little sense for anyone to design their own power sections. iCEpower, PowerSoft and others have have it cracked and have the volumes of scale to be both cost effective and reliable. Propriety class D design nearly crippled Ampeg with the PF 500. Another reason for me not to buy MarkBass.

22 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I was of course tongue in cheek. However it really makes little sense for anyone to design their own power sections. iCEpower, PowerSoft and others have have it cracked and have the volumes of scale to be both cost effective and reliable. Propriety class D design nearly crippled Ampeg with the PF 500. Another reason for me not to buy MarkBass.

Orange seem to have regretted their proprietary class D design with the Terror Bass too, as there were quite a few failures and they've declared they won't be doing any more class D amps.  Markbass don't appear to have run into the sort of issues Ampeg and Orange did, so it might be fair to say that the design and execution of their own class D stuff has been more successful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will chime in again, i bought a genz streamliner 900 a few years ago and to me, if it really was 900 watts, they were pretty small watts.......i then bought an early markbass little mark 2 which in my opinion is as powerful as the genz streamliner 900.....I then decided to buy the markbass sd 800 (earlier class d ) and found that to be similar, lacking the warmth of the little mark 2.....Also tried the later little mark 3 and i find the tone of the mark 2 better.......So the LM 2 is staying put for the time being!

• Like 1