Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball cobalt flats vs fender 9050

Twincam

I prefer the sound of rounds. However probably due to poor technique and rough finger tips I generate a lot of string noise.

I just sound better with flats. My favs being the fender 9050's there brighter than many other flats and half ground rounds (tongue twister there) and they cover a lot of genre's. But still I would like a more roundwound tone. 

So the cobalt flats seem to promise that and have good reviews etc. But just before I buy them does anyone have any thoughts on them or has used both sets in question and can compare the two? There expensive and I'm hesitant. They would be a little treat for myself. 

I hate flats, they just sound dull. If I want to quieten the string noise I just turn the treble down and that works for me Aidan.

I have some barely used 9050's That came on a bass I bought recently and took them off, I'm looking for a Hofner ignition to try them on...

18 hours ago, Twincam said:

I prefer the sound of rounds. However probably due to poor technique and rough finger tips I generate a lot of string noise.

I just sound better with flats. My favs being the fender 9050's there brighter than many other flats and half ground rounds (tongue twister there) and they cover a lot of genre's. But still I would like a more roundwound tone. 

So the cobalt flats seem to promise that and have good reviews etc. But just before I buy them does anyone have any thoughts on them or has used both sets in question and can compare the two? There expensive and I'm hesitant. They would be a little treat for myself. 

The cobalt flats are much brighter and you'll probably like them. They're not quite roundwound sound, but it's the closest one I've tried. Great strings.

Another possible alternative is Labella White Nylons. They're tapewound roundwounds. They are soft, and very very flexible (some love that, some hate that). I like them for 'finger funk' type of sound, rich n mids with tight low end, lots of definition. They still have a lot of treble and while you won't get a Marcus MIller type of slap sound, they have a beautiful classic slap sound too.

I'd say one of these two would be pretty good... although from your description, the Cobalts will probably be more your thing.

I`m a rounds guy through and through, I`ve tried both the EB Cobalts and Fender 9050s and preferred the EBs purely as they feel nicer to play. If I were to be playing my previously preferred sound of warm/rich/Ampeggy I`d probably choose the EBs for that as well, but for my current sound they just don't work, as it`s very twangy and quite driven. Not a fault with the strings, just the wrong ones for that job.