Why become a member? ×

Best OD/Fuzz for synth sound?

Max Normal

On my board is an MXR filter, a Bass Big Muff Pi and a Micro Pog. Pog tracks great for the sub bass, but perhaps sounds a bit metallic so that's probably getting replaced with an EBS Octabass. MXR filter is great, so no probs there, but I just can't get on with the Big Muff, it's just so harsh and over the top. I tried it with the onboard blend mode and also with an X-otic X-blender but I still hate the sound.

So right now I'm looking for a classic Stevie Wonder clavia bass synth type sound. Any experience of this? What distortion did you use, overdrive or fuzz, and which pedal?

Cheers! M

No expert here, but I would have thought some sort of shaper is what you need to help create that sort of sound, rather than distortion ??

Oh, and assuming you're playing finger style, a super clipped bass technique, using left hand or right hand/or a combination of these. (Not to be confused with muting or damping, of course)

I'm sure some BC'er much more knowledgeable than me on here can assist further.

20 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

No expert here, but I would have thought some sort of shaper is what you need to help create that sort of sound, rather than distortion ??

Oh, and assuming you're playing finger style, a super clipped bass technique, using left hand or right hand/or a combination of these. (Not to be confused with muting or damping, of course)

I'm sure some BC'er much more knowledgeable than me on here can assist further.

I did wonder. The closest I got was octaver and a bit of chorus so far. No probs with the tehcnique, I have the lines and technique off pat, it's just the sound i'm after now.  Some people on here advocate an Octaver>Filter>Fuzz chain for a synthy sound, but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong for this type of sound.

16 hours ago, Max Normal said:

I did wonder. The closest I got was octaver and a bit of chorus so far. No probs with the tehcnique, I have the lines and technique off pat, it's just the sound i'm after now.  Some people on here advocate an Octaver>Filter>Fuzz chain for a synthy sound, but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong for this type of sound.

IME you want an analogue octaver, not digital. It's a totally different thing (and brings a world of other headaches, so keep the POG as well). Gated fuzz. Something really spitty. Preferably run in parallel with the octaver. There was an Okto Nojs for sale on here recently, which does both. WRT filters. Personally I've had more joy with LP filters than with BP like the MXR. I did find the MXR very good for funky finger-style playing and of course YMMV, but ideally a 4-pole LP design and the option for expression control over the sweep . A Source Audio Manta would give you all the (digital) filter options you ever need in one fairly compact box. It's cleaner than a Moog (my filter of choice), but far more convenient and super quiet.  EHX Enigma looks interesting too for the same money. Not tried it, but I believe it's all analogue.

On 19/09/2018 at 15:40, Max Normal said:

Some people on here advocate an Octaver>Filter>Fuzz chain for a synthy sound, but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong for this type of sound.

Octaver first, then the gated fuzz. filter last. this is the most conventional way to produce the sounds your after.

some octavers will allow you to run fuzz first, but most wont as they need a pure tone to track well.

You might get better response if you post over in the effects forum. There is a recent synth bass FX thread where we discuss this sorta stuff...

17 hours ago, GisserD said:

Octaver first, then the gated fuzz. filter last. this is the most conventional way to produce the sounds your after.

some octavers will allow you to run fuzz first, but most wont as they need a pure tone to track well.

You might get better response if you post over in the effects forum. There is a recent synth bass FX thread where we discuss this sorta stuff...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out.

18 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Oh dear.....:sad:

WRT filters?

LP filters?

BP?

YMMV?

4-pole LP design?

This is high level tech-talk to me.

I'm a simple soul - I just use a Spectracomp and my PJ and that's it.

I'm not a luddite or a fully paid up member of the "it's all in the fingers" camp, but maybe someone can explain.

Same here usually, but you know, sometimes it's fun to experiment....

Edited by Max Normal