Why become a member? ×

SOLD Warwick Thumb Bass 1985 NT
£1690

LukeFRC

For Sale or Trade 1985 Thumb Bass. 
This was/is my "Holy Grail" bass, and after years of wanting a Thumb managed to pick up a very early special one about five years ago. 
It's great... but after us having a wee baby I'm rationalising that it's not getting chosen for any gigs, I tried playing it exclusively for a few months and I just don't gell with it the way I do with two of my other basses. Anyway, that's enough about me - you'll came here for the bass didn't you?   

It's a pretty much all original 1985 JD Thumb bass, one of the first 150 ever made. This is the second revision with the classic body shape, with the early shorter horn. Back in the days when Warwick was all about small scale handbuilt production. Why only pretty much all original? Well the german session musician I bought it from I think I had had it refret - with period correct steel frets. It's got that thin, skinny neck common of this era.

"Aha" shouts that guy on the internet "You've said it's a JD thumb, but it doesn't say it is on the truss rod cover"  - well no, but back then they were all "JD thumbs" and the truss rod cover is quite special - it's made of Solid Mother of Pearl! According to an email conversation with HP Wilfer of Warwick this was quite an expensive feature and used in the early days to designate any "custom shop" models built to a particular spec. In this case the active SD active pickups and the brass saddles on a black bridge are slightly different to what you would expect. I asked and he couldn't remember who it would have been built for. You won't find many Warwicks with one of these truss rod covers. Jack Bruce had one on his 1985 fretless. 

Plays great, and has a nice low action all down the 26 frets, it sounds great with the classic thumb bass sound (piano like?) but comparing it to some later thumbs which had more of a middy compressed tone this is slightly more open sounding with a big fat bottom end.

Apart from a small chip to the corner of the truss rod cover it's in great condition for a 33 year old bass, actually it would probably be  in a pretty good condition for a 3 year old  bass.  

Comes in a Bass Centre branded '90's Warwick gig bag in usable condition but with the cable pocket zip broken. If it needs to be posted could source hard case for it.

Based in Leeds area, can post within UK or EU at cost.

So that's it for sale... but I've also mentioned trades.

I would listen to trade offers or part exchanges for this. Either a nice bass and money my way, or a straight swap for something interesting. Unless it's something I really want or could make use off please don't be offended if I say no. 
Basswise I seem to be gravitating towards more traditional bolt on P, J and Stingray type basses, probably 4 string, maybe 5, defiantly with frets, and I like my frets perpendicular to the neck. I don't mind beat up well played basses, in some ways prefer them. 
My GAS list is quite short a Fender Roscoe Beck, G&L L2000e, PreEB ray or something like the Sadowsky Metro Will Lee that just sold on here would be interesting. Get in touch if you've got something in mind. 

_DSF8548.JPG

_DSF8549.JPG

_DSF8550.JPG

_DSF8551.JPG

_DSF8552.JPG

_DSF8553.JPG

_DSF8554.JPG

_DSF8555.JPG

_DSF8556.JPG

_DSF8557.JPG

_DSF8558.JPG

Edited by LukeFRC

On 19/09/2018 at 06:54, Oldman said:

Good grief Luke you had that one tucked away, nice bass... lovely bass, I don’t know how you can part with it 🤧

It’s taken me half a decade to come to the realisation it’s not working  for me- it’s not the bass it’s me ! (

On 19/09/2018 at 21:05, dyerseve said:

Absolutely gorgeous bass and a bargain for such an early Thumb in exceptional condition.

Thanks - I was trying out someone’s well played 1988 stingray and this was sat next to it - one looked old and one didn’t! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • ped locked this topic