Why become a member? ×

Taking care of Cables

Thekiddx1000

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The reverse twist method is obviously the best solution BUT it's an absolute bugger to teach to your bandmates at 1am after three hours on stage, and they really don't want to know, and are you really going to stand there (hands on hips) supervising their coiling skills?

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Using the standard rope-coiling method is a great deal easier, and the fact that the cable then wants to spiral outwards when released is easily dealt with by tossing the free end of the cable away from you and allowing it to de-spiral.

yep correctly coiling  upwards of 30 cables (PA and backline, mics ecs, lights etc) is a non starter at 1am. I know im going to get shot here but but I put mine togeather by grabbing both ends, halving the length, halving again and then tying a very loose knot in the middle, that way they don't get all tangled up in a box of leads, can be extracted easily and if good quality last for years. 

Weirdly the guitarist who only "correctly" coils 2 of his precious leads is constantly breaking them, then nicks mine!

Edited by skidder652003

Just now, skidder652003 said:

yep correctly coiling  upwards of 30 cables (PA and backline, mics ecs, lights etc) is a non starter at 1am. I know im going to get shot here but but I put mine togeather by grabbining both ends, halving the length, halving again and then tying a very loose knot in the middle, that way they don't get all tangled up in a box of leads, can be extracted easily and if good quality last for years. 

Exactly how I do it. Everything kept separate and easy to use.

I do this with the PA speaker leads as they are (obviously) quite long. My instrument leads are quite short so I simply coil them up and they go in the pocket of my gig bag. The amp to speaker lead is so short it coils up and goes in the amp carry bag pocket with the kettle lead. So I never forget them - have bass = have leads (and tuner). Have amp = have leads.

And they're all OBBM so  they never go wrong.....

Edited by phil.c60