Why become a member? ×

NBD! 1991 Smith BT5

ped

Hi folks

This arrived today finally after a Paypal delay (didn't realise the payment would go as an e-cheque which took ages to clear!) 

Anyway after lots of emails forward and back with BCer @bassvid75 I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase this bass. I have always loved the 'Smith sound' which I would describe as very 'hifi' with very plummy mids and compressed treble. It's a beautiful sound that cuts right through any mix.

Unfortunately Smith basses are quite hard to get hold of in the UK - I don't know if there's a UK distributor now but I know there wasn't for some time, making second hand the only option. 

Most of my basses have been bought 'unseen' and have been a bit of a gamble, this one is no exception. It came from Portugal and although I was excited I was also nervous having not played it. All the time Bassvid was saying how great the bass is, that the neck is totally flat and the truss rod hasn't been adjusted for seven years. As a graphite neck enthusiast this was an important factor.

Well, what can I say - right out of the (huge and well packed) box, the teardrop case was thrown open and the bass was finally exposed to the UK sunshine. Right out of the case it played fantastically. Bassvid said it had the original Smith strings and needed a battery, so I put one in and slapped a new set of Elixirs on it, the strings I use on all my basses. I don't have the correct allen key for the bridge saddles so I thought I'd give it a play and adjust it all later, but it's set up almost exactly as I'd like already, as bassvid said it would be! Super low.

If you don't know these basses, it's hard to describe what they feel like; the body is really thin and rounded. They feel amazing. The pickups are great, they have always reminded me of a chesterfield sofa for some reason. It's got a 2 band EQ which is, according to enthusiasts, clearer and more sparkly than the 5 knob version. I can't say i've been able to compare but the previous owner had several.

The top is Koa and it has all the Smith in house hardware, including aluminium cover plate and truss rod cover. Recessed Dunlop strap locks and that fantastic hand shaped brass nut.

Here's what a Smith sounds like (not me playing lol)

This guy demonstrates one here, which sounds bang on - skip ahead if you want to hear some nice really simple fat grooves and a bit of B string.

Here are my piccies, light not very good today but hopefully you can see it OK! Also there's a bonus pic of Sybil.

EPSN2314.jpg

EPSN2313.jpg

EPSN2315.jpg

EPSN2307.jpg

EPSN2290.jpg

EPSN2305.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just been finding out a bit more about the bass from it’s serial number. 

The front and back is figured Koa (FK in serial number). Then there’s a maple layer with a mahogany centre. The neck is graphite reinforced, maple and morado five piece. 

As I hoped, this bass sounds exactly like John’s bass in this track!

9 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

There are basses and then there are Smith basses. Gorgeous ... and from what was the best era IMO.

Congrats!

Cheers, yes I’ve always loved their sound but they are quite hard to find in the UK, especially at a reasonable price. Really got lucky with this one! It needed a couple of screws for the cavity cover and I’ve had a new jack fitted as the old one was a bit saggy. It’s a weird one, took me a while to find. Some sort of switchcraft flush mounted stereo jack. Far too fiddly for me to fit but the local music shop did a great job and they also sold @charic a guitar at the same time 😂

• Like 1

Congrats, you now own the best Smith bass i've tried/heard. That 3 knob preamp is magic, has a more "organic" sound. With the 5 knob preamps i allways had to touch the EQ a bit, in your bass it was all flat and the pickup balance took care of the rest. That's the only bass that really could possibly replace my TRB5PII if/when i have the health need to go lightweight.
BTW, when i say "your bass" in my post i really mean that, i had it in my hands, and Pedro is a good friend of mine and a completely honest guy to deal with. Enjoy your new bass ;)

36 minutes ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Congrats, you now own the best Smith bass i've tried/heard. That 3 knob preamp is magic, has a more "organic" sound. With the 5 knob preamps i allways had to touch the EQ a bit, in your bass it was all flat and the pickup balance took care of the rest. That's the only bass that really could possibly replace my TRB5PII if/when i have the health need to go lightweight.
BTW, when i say "your bass" in my post i really mean that, i had it in my hands, and Pedro is a good friend of mine and a completely honest guy to deal with. Enjoy your new bass ;)

Ah that’s cool! Pedro is a gent and was brilliant to deal with, I spent months dithering and selling things to raise the money and he was very patient. 

Yep the combination just seems to work perfectly. I rather like the sound of the front pickup soloed which is unusual for me but of course 99% of the time it’s both on full, flat and fat! 

• Like 1