Why become a member? ×

EA doubler/Greenboy F112

lowlandtrees

Just had my first real blast with my new set up and don’t really like it much so far. I am using a radial tonebone pre and a Realist pup. Nothing seems to line up. Probably just have to mess about with the knobs but have a first meet with a band on Sunday so need it sorted. The Greenboy has a huge sound but boxy. Maybe just doesn’t suit the Euphonic Audio. I am mixing pizz and bow. Bow sounds better. Might have to crawl back and apologise to my Wizzy M line.

I've never heard my F112's sound boxy unless I did so with eq. Don't be shy on using the eq to shape, even if it looks radical. I've found my AI Focus head sounds inherently different from a GKMB800. Also, different preamps gave me mixed results. The speaker is pretty near FRFR so it'll just be reproducing what's going in. How powerful is the EA? I can run the AI Focus at low to med-low volumes but the demands of the F112 mean it runs out of umph at louder volumes and you can hear it distorting. The GK fares better. Maybe give it some more time and fettling.

11 hours ago, TPJ said:

I've never heard my F112's sound boxy unless I did so with eq. Don't be shy on using the eq to shape, even if it looks radical. I've found my AI Focus head sounds inherently different from a GKMB800. Also, different preamps gave me mixed results. The speaker is pretty near FRFR so it'll just be reproducing what's going in. How powerful is the EA? I can run the AI Focus at low to med-low volumes but the demands of the F112 mean it runs out of umph at louder volumes and you can hear it distorting. The GK fares better. Maybe give it some more time and fettling.

The EA is 300 w. I have a K&K pup but wrecked it during a jam one night. Can’t afford to replace it so I stuck in a Realist that I have. I hadn’t anticipated so much fiddling. With the EA/wizzy it was very much plug and play but not enough volume.....with one speaker anyway. Just got an opportunity for a greenboy and went for it. Think I will have to spend some fiddling time before I use it in anger. Was never really a fan of the realist.

I didn't like my EA Doubler much when I got it - I felt the sound was underwhelming. But one I'd spent a bit of time with it (and read the manual) I realised that you need to crank the EQ noticeably more than you would on other amps to get a noticeable change in tone. Maybe the amp is super flat with the EQ  centered, so it sounds less lively than other amps when they're at 0 on the EQ. Or maybe they use linear pots so you have to turn the knob further to get the same change in tonight,  either way, once I got over my fear of pushing the EQ section, I was a lot happier with the sound.

Also  have you tried adjusting the input gain and HPF trim pots on the top of the Doubler? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRev said:

I didn't like my EA Doubler much when I got it - I felt the sound was underwhelming. But one I'd spent a bit of time with it (and read the manual) I realised that you need to crank the EQ noticeably more than you would on other amps to get a noticeable change in tone. Maybe the amp is super flat with the EQ  centered, so it sounds less lively than other amps when they're at 0 on the EQ. Or maybe they use linear pots so you have to turn the knob further to get the same change in tonight,  either way, once I got over my fear of pushing the EQ section, I was a lot happier with the sound.

Also  have you tried adjusting the input gain and HPF trim pots on the top of the Doubler? 

3 hours ago, TheRev said:

Bloody hell. I have had this machine for three years and ....ok I haven’t read the manual...rarely do..ahem..never noticed those trim pots. I feel like a complete wally and at the same time elated. Thanks. Better get my hands on a manual eh

1 hour ago, lowlandtrees said:

Bloody hell. I have had this machine for three years and ....ok I haven’t read the manual...rarely do..ahem..

You're not alone! My Doubler sat in a cupboard, unloved, for 6 months before I took the time to read up on how to actually use the bugger. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1