Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day

Bassforradio

Well, in response to the Basschat FB page, I will relate the story of my newest family member - a 2005  Fireglo Rickenbacker 4003.

I asked for your opinions some months ago about whether it was worth trading my Spector in for a nice Ricky. Almost unanimously the members of this group said no, and I am glad you did! The Spector is the best bass I have ever played, but I still felt the pull of a Ricky. As a lifelong Rush and Yes fan, I just had to get one.

So, I finally took the plunage got the 4003. Well, for those who know, none of this will be a surprise, but for those who don't, here's my review.

It looks great and it sounds great, but my Ged, it's a pig to play. I still haven't tamed it. Not quite sure how to get comfortable with it. I have tried it slung low and now have it up high, which is a bit better. But I am a fingers player and found it ridiculously unfriendly on the right hand, so I am learning to play it with a pick. This is a whole new technique to get my head around. Any advice on how to get the best from a Ricky, I am all ears!

I do feel I have to add that I love it anyway! I will overcome this plank!

PS. Anyone who mentions the shed, dies!

IMG_0262.JPG

Edited by Bassforradio
  • Like 5

I’m surprised it took you this long to get a Ric, given your Rush addiction. Yes they can be a pain to play, but adding a bezel to the bridge pickup and removing the mute screws make it whole lot more comfy. As to the lack of contouring for ribs and forearm, you just have to get used to it I’m afraid. Congrats on the new beast, enjoy.

Edited by ezbass

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’m surprised it took you this long to get a Ric, given your Rush addiction. Yes they can be a pain to play, but adding a bezel to the bridge pickup and removing the mute screws make it whole lot more comfy. As to the lack of contouring for ribs and forearm, you just have to get used to it I’m afraid. Congrats on the new beast, enjoy.

Yeah, I saw those bezels and am thinking about it. How the hell did Geddy do it?!

3 minutes ago, Bassforradio said:

Yeah, I saw those bezels and am thinking about it. How the hell did Geddy do it?!

He was young and foolish, plus he tends to play over the neck pickup of his various basses.

Those bezels are good, with a selection of thumbrest options, but they’re not cheap. If you’re coming to the Bass Bash you can check out the one on my 4003s (I’ll be the bloke in the Rush T shirt, or maybe my TMIAC one!).

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

He was young and foolish, plus he tends to play over the neck pickup of his various basses.

Those bezels are good, with a selection of thumbrest options, but they’re not cheap. If you’re coming to the Bass Bash you can check out the one on my 4003s (I’ll be the bloke in the Rush T shirt, or maybe my TMIAC one!).

Faheyhee! I will be very interested in seeing your bezel! But I just want to be friends.

• Haha 2

Personally I've never had a problem playing my 4001 with fingers...possibly because it was the only bass I had when I started to move to that from playing with a pick so I didn't have any other technique or bass to compare it with, I just got on with it.

two practical suggestions:

1. A wristband for your right forearm to stop the body chaffing the skin off (actually more of an issue for me playing with a pick than finger style)  I suggest extra long ones, like this: https://www.prodirecttennis.com/products/Nike-Swoosh-Doublewide-Wristbands-Black-White-Accessories-NN05010-60188.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5XC4bfC3QIVT-WaCh0pZgVKEAYYBiABEgJlf_D_BwE
  2. I gaffa taped down the muting foam in the bridge/tailpiece almost as soon as I got mine, and screwed it down so that there is no muting whatsoever.  Thirty years on and I have never revisited that decision.  Lots of treble and clank!  YMMV

Just now, Monkey Steve said:

Personally I've never had a problem playing my 4001 with fingers...possibly because it was the only bass I had when I started to move to that from playing with a pick so I didn't have any other technique or bass to compare it with, I just got on with it.

two practical suggestions:

1. A wristband for your right forearm to stop the body chaffing the skin off (actually more of an issue for me playing with a pick than finger style)  I suggest extra long ones, like this: https://www.prodirecttennis.com/products/Nike-Swoosh-Doublewide-Wristbands-Black-White-Accessories-NN05010-60188.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5XC4bfC3QIVT-WaCh0pZgVKEAYYBiABEgJlf_D_BwE
  2. I gaffa taped down the muting foam in the bridge/tailpiece almost as soon as I got mine, and screwed it down so that there is no muting whatsoever.  Thirty years on and I have never revisited that decision.  Lots of treble and clank!  YMMV

Can you explain the muting foam a little further? I don't understand this. I have not taken the bass apart, so this is unclear to me.

As I’ve said before, they’re one of the few basses I find at all comfortable, but then I mostly play with a pick and learned to play on one. The slab front and binding I actually find really comfortable because of where/how I rest my arm; ironically I had to sell a contoured 4004 because it aggravated a nerve problem I have (which also happens with most other basses, the worst culprits being the Fender Jazz and Status basses). I even had to return an Ibanez SR - which was otherwise great - because of how uncomfortable I found it. 

Edited by 4000
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! I heard you talking about this on PR last week sometime so it’s great to see these pics, even if the strap and trainers clash with the bass itself 🤓😜

I’ve only ever played a Ric once and loved its clang and the neck but like you failed to get on with it for fingerstyle. Perseverance is the key I’m sure 🙂

Edited by Merton
Horrendous English
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Bassforradio said:

Well, in response to the Basschat FB page, I will relate the story of my newest family member - a 2005  Fireglo Rickenbacker 4003.

I asked for your opinions some months ago about whether it was worth trading my Spector in for a nice Ricky. Almost unanimously the members of this group said no, and I am glad you did! The Spector is the best bass I have ever played, but I still felt the pull of a Ricky. As a lifelong Rush and Yes fan, I just had to get one.

So, I finally took the plunage got the 4003. Well, for those who know, none of this will be a surprise, but for those who don't, here's my review.

It looks great and it sounds great, but my Ged, it's a pig to play. I still haven't tamed it. Not quite sure how to get comfortable with it. I have tried it slung low and now have it up high, which is a bit better. But I am a fingers player and found it ridiculously unfriendly on the right hand, so I am learning to play it with a pick. This is a whole new technique to get my head around. Any advice on how to get the best from a Ricky, I am all ears!

I do feel I have to add that I love it anyway! I will overcome this plank!

PS. Anyone who mentions the shed, dies!

IMG_0262.JPG

Well done. Glad you got one at last but like you, I found them a "pig" to play. I was never a Ricky fan but wanted to try one just to see what the fuss was all about. I couldn't see it myself but, that didn't surprise me. I'm sure you'll get there in the end. Good luck. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bassforradio said:

Can you explain the muting foam a little further? I don't understand this. I have not taken the bass apart, so this is unclear to me.

assuming that your bass has the standard 4001/4003 tailpiece, the strings pass down the side of an array of raised metal arches at the front, with adjustment screws on either side. 

1094692161_rickbridge.jpg.537cd954248050575e754fdc0cdb62a4.jpg

Below these arches, the screws should raise and lower a piece of foam (black in the picture), which is designed to damp the strings, stronger or weaker depending on how much the screws have raised or lowered it.  In mine (actually a 4003 bridge put on my much older 4001 as a replacement) the sponge was always in contact with the strings even at the lowest the screws would drop it to, so I gaffa taped the foam which makes it compact enough to keep it below the strings as I don't want any damping.  A far easier alternative would just be to remove the foam completely.

Of course if wouldn't need this if they just left off the whole damping array in the first place, because you would be able to damp the strings with your palm as normal.  Bit like the large bridge pickup cover, looks cool, but is a really stupid idea playing wise.

If you want to be able to damp with your palm then you can get replacement bridges that allow this, or if you want the damping permanently "on" or want to be able to adjust it, then what you have can do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

assuming that your bass has the standard 4001/4003 tailpiece, the strings pass down the side of an array of raised metal arches at the front, with adjustment screws on either side. 

1094692161_rickbridge.jpg.537cd954248050575e754fdc0cdb62a4.jpg

Below these arches, the screws should raise and lower a piece of foam (black in the picture), which is designed to damp the strings, stronger or weaker depending on how much the screws have raised or lowered it.  In mine (actually a 4003 bridge put on my much older 4001 as a replacement) the sponge was always in contact with the strings even at the lowest the screws would drop it to, so I gaffa taped the foam which makes it compact enough to keep it below the strings as I don't want any damping.  A far easier alternative would just be to remove the foam completely.

Of course if wouldn't need this if they just left off the whole damping array in the first place, because you would be able to damp the strings with your palm as normal.  Bit like the large bridge pickup cover, looks cool, but is a really stupid idea playing wise.

If you want to be able to damp with your palm then you can get replacement bridges that allow this, or if you want the damping permanently "on" or want to be able to adjust it, then what you have can do that.

Fantastic! I get it! Will have a look at that this weekend! Thank you!

6 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Bit like the large bridge pickup cover, looks cool, but is a really stupid idea playing wise.

I like the pickup cover (although my Rics haven't currently got them on) because I rest my hand on it, a la Chris Squire and many famous other Rick players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I like the pickup cover (although my Rics haven't currently got them on) because I rest my hand on it, a la Chris Squire and many famous other Rick players. 

Mine sits unloved in the case - it’s position is exactly where my hand would want access to the strings when I used to play with a pick and rest my wrist on the end of the tailpiece.

but I take your point - with it on it directs where you can hit the strings which has a huge effect on the sound.  Just not for me

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1