Why become a member? ×

Ampeg CL Micro stack

tom1946

Just as a thought yes the new Rumbles are indeed lightweight, they look very nice too. Pretty loud also. 

However I suggest trying the different versions. I played through both a 200 and 500 in store and thought they were great. So I bought the 100 which I never tried first. Typically i didn't like it compared to the others, maybe it was the lack of tweeter and the smaller cab voicing it differently. It wasn't terrible, just I feel the larger versions were better sounding, more definition. Of course tone is in the ear of the beholder. 

I heard one of the new Blackstar unity bass combo amps recently. They seemed pretty decent. Seemed more comprehensive than a rumble. Bit more pricey compared to the equivalent Rumble model though. They have them in pmt newcastle to try. I think they were lightweight also. 

Consider a used Fender Rumble 500 v3 head with a Barefaced One 10. Tiny package with a huge sound and great range of tones. Even better would be to build yourself a Beyma 1x12 cab designed by Phil Starr & Stevie. (Take a look at the Easy 12" build thread).Those Beymas are monsters. 

Edited by JohnDaBass

2 hours ago, Twincam said:

I heard one of the new Blackstar unity bass combo amps recently. They seemed pretty decent. Seemed more comprehensive than a rumble. Bit more pricey compared to the equivalent Rumble model though. They have them in pmt newcastle to try. I think they were lightweight also. 

Yep, not used one myself but heard a stack of these (combo plus powered ext cab) recently and it was a really good sound through FOH.

Some good ideas here, forgot to mention that I have a Rumble 100 and don't like it very much so I'm going to sell it.

To me it sounds boomy and not very clear or defined. There are a lot of buttons and knobs that just make it louder or quieter.

Not like my markbass CMD 151P, which it won't sound anything like that.

dunno....

1 minute ago, tom1946 said:

Some good ideas here, forgot to mention that I have a Rumble 100 and don't like it very much so I'm going to sell it.

To me it sounds boomy and not very clear or defined. There are a lot of buttons and knobs that just make it louder or quieter.

Not like my markbass CMD 151P, which it won't sound anything like that.

dunno....

This was my assessment of the Rumble 100 too. 

Apparently the VR is great with two cabs. Looks cool, too. I gather same early units malfunctioned at 4ohms but think it was fixed quickly but the legend remains. The only thing putting me off (apart from not actually needing an amp) is that the fan noise is quite noticeable at low levels. 

That's right, but I mainly do church gigs so a noisy fan wouldn't go down well which is why I only need 100w or so, our church is upstairs with the hall underneath. It's a big echo ey space that the rumble sounds awful in.

However the Mighty Trace upstairs rattles the old windows... It was taken up there in 2009 and hasn't moved since 😀

I would love another Markbass, an 802 micro but I can't justify over £500.