Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Original Combos???

Creeper

On 16/09/2018 at 17:12, BassBod said:

I briefly heard the 1x12” version in PMT Brizzle - I was impressed,  plenty of depth but also nice and clear.  It’s on my watch out for list 😜

Good to hear that, one of the biggest issues with smaller combos is the lack of real depth, they can tend to get a bit boxy with poky mids.

This combo is also on my watch out list now too...

Eude

What stood out for me was the combo wasn’t sitting on the floor, but stacked on top of other amps, but it still had some authority to it’s sound.  I’d usually expect any small combo to sound a bit thin if it wasn’t on the ground.  I use small amps/cabs a lot - they are always on the ground 😜

39 minutes ago, BassBod said:

What stood out for me was the combo wasn’t sitting on the floor, but stacked on top of other amps, but it still had some authority to it’s sound.  I’d usually expect any small combo to sound a bit thin if it wasn’t on the ground.  I use small amps/cabs a lot - they are always on the ground 😜

That sounds really good then!

Eude

The  amp and 1x12 cab (separates) combination sounded really good to me. There's a 3 position horn setting which I preferred off. The new price for the stand alone amp is £279 (on the Ashdown Site), but this might be for the next new batch to arrive.  Andersons are selling are selling the cab for £199, making the pair £478. Cheaper than the combo but with the flexibility of separates.

Edited by bobmartin

9 hours ago, bobmartin said:

The  amp and 1x12 cab (separates) combination sounded really good to me. There's a 3 position horn setting which I preferred off. The new price for the stand alone amp is £279 (on the Ashdown Site), but this might be for the next new batch to arrive.  Andersons are selling are selling the cab for £199, making the pair £478. Cheaper than the combo but with the flexibility of separates.

I believe the next batch of RM cabs have had an upgrade, which will be present in the new combo and new kit going forward, not sure about the OriginAL heads though, but it kind of muddies the water however as they look the same, I expect any good deals coming out of the big retailers will likely be old stock.

They seem to nip and tuck as they go along in batches of production, I'd always advocate buying direct and talking to the guys at Ashdown which would make sure you're getting the best kit, they're really friendly and helpful too.

The combo has one edge over the separates, and that's the ability to lean the cabs back from monitoring purposes. I guess it's not going to be a deal breaker for everyone, but I would certainly found it useful, or certainly would've when I gigged loads pre kids...

Eude

2 hours ago, eude said:

The combo has one edge over the separates, and that's the ability to lean the cabs back from monitoring purposes. I guess it's not going to be a deal breaker for everyone, but I would certainly found it useful, or certainly would've when I gigged loads pre kids...

Eude

I got the impression that the combo cab was smaller than the stand alone cab and I couldn't easily find the tweeter switch, is there one?  I don't know about changes to the cabs, but I have contacted Ashdown who assured me that the Original amp remains the same. 

I've had GK combos for ever, so at the the moment I'm just interested in the amp that I can run with a GK extension cab until I get some spare cash..

Edited by bobmartin