Why become a member? ×

New Amp GAS, but which one ?

PatrickJ

On 18/09/2018 at 13:44, zitherman said:

Im also still undecided about which amp to buy.giving serious consideration to fender bassman amps.probably the 100t but no one seems to comment about them.

I have a 100T, what do you want to know.

I am also considering selling it because at my age 72, lifting is becoming an issue.

Watching this thread. I really feel the need to push the button on the Genzler. Nothing coming up second hand. Get some great sounds from the TH500 and love the thickness, but I do find myself whacking the master volume up more than I anticipated. Perhaps it's settings. But I'm not one for faffing with settings. The Genzler sounds like it's simple for me. 😃

Edited by tonyclaret

Well... my own amp journey has had me moving away from the Class Ds and eventually brought me back to the Ashdown ABM. Real authoritive, warm and punchy tone. First time I've been this happy with an amp for a LONG time. Only thing I would say is disengage the default preshape tone and use the EQ. Yes it's a bit bigger and heavier but it's not a monster. The ONLY disappointing thing is the Compressor which when on is already too much... but I like the Gain to work the meter and the valve.

Edited by markorbit

45 minutes ago, markorbit said:

Well... my own amp journey has had me moving away from the Class Ds and eventually brought me back to the Ashdown ABM. Real authoritive, warm and punchy tone. First time I've been this happy with an amp for a LONG time. Only thing I would say is disengage the default preshape tone and use the EQ. Yes it's a bit bigger and heavier but it's not a monster. The ONLY disappointing thing is the Compressor which when on is already too much... but I like the Gain to work the meter and the valve.

I've made exactly the same move - after selling my new ABM 600 last year and buying a second Rootmaster 800 (with the first as my back-up), I have now sold the standby RM and demoted the newer one to standby duty - and bought an ABM 600 here on the forum. I paid exactly what I sold my 600 for a year earlier!

I prefer the ABM again now, unless there is a long walk from car park to stage, in which case the lightweight RM gets another airing.

I usually play though a Barefaced Super Compact (1 x 12), but for larger gigs I use the Super Twin (2 x 12) - the ABM and the Super Twin are an awesome combination. 

• Like 1

Another satisfied Ashdown ABM-600 user here. I`ve had mine for nearly two years now, which is pretty much unheard of for me, having an amp that long. Additionally in that time I`ve tried different backup amps and the Ashdown RM-500 is now a keeper, it`s my second one and this time am going to be sensible and keep it, it`s light enough to take to gigs as a backup, but heavyweight enough in tone to keep me smiling. There`s really not that much difference with the RM to the ABM in pub-sized venues, it`s only once you get on the big stages that the ABM shows it has more - and a fair bit more - to it. There`s just more authority to the sound but that`s to be expected. 

• Like 1